Rex Murphy: In Justin Trudeau’s world, Christians need not apply

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The intersection of religion and politics can produce profound ethical dilemmas. For those who are religious, who see the performance of their faith here on earth as bearing on their destiny in the hereafter, politics can be a threatening pursuit. Religious imperatives are not intermittent, do not suffer exceptions, may not be quarantined from any aspect of a religiously engaged life.

And if a Christian is a politician, then his public conduct, his thinking and voting on matters of public concern, will naturally, inescapably, seek the polar star and guidance of his religious understanding. Religion is not an accessory to one’s occupation and career. It has a core relationship to all of life.

Politics has its imperatives, too. Even if its sanctions as far as we know do not (yet) reach into the afterlife, it has ways to urge obedience and enforce conformity. On the issue of abortion, the federal Liberals provide a case in point.

Elected Liberal MPs are under Justin Trudeau’s direct order that, in any legislation that touches on the abortion issue, they must — mindless of their faith, their previous professions on the subject, or their conscience — vote the “pro-choice” dogma. Pro-abortion is the party line. And it is the only line allowed.

This is very odd. I should clarify that I am not debating the pros and cons of abortion per se. Leave that for another time. But I am pointing to an irreconcilable dilemma facing any individual with genuine religious convictions who wishes, in this age, to stand for public office.

Lawrence MacAulay, a Catholic, and a Liberal MP from PEI, provides the most recent illustration of this dilemma.

Poor Mr. MacAulay for a while imagined that he could still vote how he actually thought and felt on the abortion issue. After all, he was elected before Justin Trudeau had demanded full submission from all MPs in this area. Now, MP MacAulay has learned that he must suffocate his real views, and vote quite the opposite of how (I presume) his faith and his own inclination would have him vote. An MP turning himself into a logical and moral pretzel to stay in line with his party is not an inspiring sight.

What kind of politics are they which require an MP to renounce his deepest moral commitments; indeed, to go beyond renunciation and declare himself positively in favour of ideas and actions that his faith condemns, his Church forbids, and his conscience cannot abide?

Religion, under these conditions, cannot survive political engagement. An understanding of politics based on an exclusion of thoughtful and engaged religious people — on the rejection of ideas and understandings offered by the great religious teachers and the massive legacy of thought our churches have to offer — is radically incomplete.

As things now are, a truly religious person must actually stay out of politics — must forgo an active role in democratic government — because in our brazen and new age, he or she will be faced with irreconcilable moral choices. If elected, he or she will be required to betray their faith and themselves, and on those very issues that matter most: issues of life, family, autonomy and the dignity of persons.

As leader, Mr.Trudeau houses some of this clash, this tension between faith and politics, in himself and in his own practice. He has not faced the problem so much as diverted it. He classifies abortion under the banner of what he calls “women’s rights” — an absolute status. But he does this mainly by vigorous assertion, and a garbled interpretation of constitutional law, than by any clear argumentation. He has never delineated why the progressive view of abortion cannot be challenged, while it is open season on religiously inspired belief.

It would be very fine to hear him genuinely elaborate his thinking on this sensitive area. The nation is all ears, if he ever cares to do so.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Murphy is speaking ill of the Dauphin. Rex will be in jail if the Dauphin gets into power.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Seems to me that not too long ago many Libs were claiming that Harper is an autocrat demanding MPs toe the party line. Must somehow be different when it is their autocrat making the same demands because they know deep down that they are in the right.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"As leader, Mr.Trudeau houses some of this clash, this tension between faith and politics, in himself and in his own practice. He has not faced the problem so much as diverted it. He classifies abortion under the banner of what he calls “women’s rights” — an absolute status. But he does this mainly by vigorous assertion, and a garbled interpretation of constitutional law, than by any clear argumentation. He has never delineated why the progressive view of abortion cannot be challenged, while it is open season on religiously inspired belief.

It would be very fine to hear him genuinely elaborate his thinking on this sensitive area. The nation is all ears, if he ever cares to do so."

Rex's wonderfully wordy way of saying what all of us with a functioning intellect already know: Justin Trudeau is an idiot.

Seems to me that not too long ago many Libs were claiming that Harper is an autocrat demanding MPs toe the party line. Must somehow be different when it is their autocrat making the same demands because they know deep down that they are in the right.

And when compared to Trudeau, Harper is in general a tolerant and benevolent libertarian on the actions of his MPs and senators.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The Canadian Obama... I hope he get's in so I can laugh my azz off when the economy tanks and he turns Canada into a European sh*t hole..

I hate Justine more than Obama... but I can't be called a racist this time.. boohoo Libs race card has expired.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I wonder why this is exclusive to Christianity.

Don't Muslims and Jews have differing views on abortion?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We aren't surprised when Colpy knocks Trudeau and Liberals, He is a card carrying Conservative and he has to knock Liberals. I voted for the Conservatives last election and we got Harper in with a bloody majority. Now we are suffering over Harper's loose cannon sanctions that are costing us money. If an election were called today, Trudeau would win. There is talk of the Conservatives calling an early election....I can't wait.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
We aren't surprised when Colpy knocks Trudeau and Liberals, He is a card carrying Conservative and he has to knock Liberals. I voted for the Conservatives last election and we got Harper in with a bloody majority. Now we are suffering over Harper's loose cannon sanctions that are costing us money. If an election were called today, Trudeau would win. There is talk of the Conservatives calling an early election....I can't wait.

"loose cannon sanctions"????

Are you talking about Russia?

You're kidding, right?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
The religious have had to lay their consciences at the doors of Parliament for generations. I mean, none of the elected politicians I can think of--Christian to otherwise--remind me of Christ. A Christ-like figure wouldn't last two minutes in the moral rat's nest of partisan politics.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The argument Rex Murphy is making applies to our system of government, not just the House of Commons, and not because of Trudeau drawing a line on abortion. Even if they had the MPs, Christian politicians could not impose their religion on the rest of us. The charter/Supreme Court would (supposedly) prevent that. So there's your complaint.