Fair question for the left coasters

Locutus
+1
(external - login to view)
Cody Battershill ‏@codyincalgary (external - login to view)

Why did #TidesUSA (external - login to view) Buy 150 acres right next door to Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson?

With the U.S. in tough times, one would think that American charities would be doing all they can to help out at home. The last thing that I would have expected is that the San Francisco-based Tides Foundation ("Tides USA") would pay over a million dollars for a 150 acre park on Cortes Island, in British Columbia. But to my surprise, this is precisely what Tides USA recently announced (external - login to view). Tides USA initially purchased the land in 2007 (external - login to view) and held it in a numbered company in Vancouver, tax returns show (external - login to view) (see below). Locally, this 150 acre property is known as Hanks Beach.

In September of 2011, Tides USA announced (external - login to view) that it had purchased Hank's Beach along with Renewal Partners, and was donating it to the Strathcona Regional District, under the Ecological Gifts Program (external - login to view) of Environment Canada.

One of the larger projects of Tides USA is a "Tar Sands Campaign" against Alberta oil. In 2009 and 2010, Tides USA paid $10 million to 43 small, environmental groups (external - login to view) for their involvement in this campaign, tax returns show. Tides USA and Tides Canada also spend roughly $20 million annually on consultants, $15 million (external - login to view) and $5 million (external - login to view), respectively. Who they are and what they do is not made public.

In the run-up to the 2008 election, Vision Vancouver's biggest financial backer was the former chair of Tides USA, Joel Solomon. He's a central figure in a tightly knit web of organizations funded by Tides USA and Tides Canada. In a rather candid interview last year, Solomon told the Huffington Post (external - login to view), that the election of Mayor Robertson was the result of "nearly 20 years of moving in a purposeful direction."

Even before this new 150 acre ocean-front park, Cortes Island already had two large parks and vast tracts of crown land - and only 1,150 residents.

By way of comparison, Stanley Park, Vancouver's biggest park is about 1,000 acres. In terms of size, buying Hanks' Beach is equivalent to buying about 15 percent of Stanley Park. That's a lot of land.

more strange going-ons

Why did Tides USA Buy 150 acres on Cortes Island - right next door to Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson? - Rethink Campaigns (external - login to view)

petros
15% of Staley Park¿ Hopefully the fruit loop.

eh1eh
They're a US based environmental charity that also operates in Canada. What is the big fuking mystery?

Quote:

In the run-up to the 2008 election, Vision Vancouver's biggest financial backer was the former chair of Tides USA, Joel Solomon. He's a central figure in a tightly knit web of organizations funded by Tides USA and Tides Canada.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

What is the big fuking mystery?

Their point.

Tonington
+2
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

They're a US based environmental charity that also operates in Canada. What is the big fuking mystery?

Really though. Fair question for the right. Why do you care what a private land owner does with their purchased land? That's completely anti-thetical to conservative principles. It's a hell of a lot better than NIMBY isn't it, especially when it's not their backyard. They put their money where their mouth is.

Neo-NIMBYism: no ecological preserves or parks in my back yard-or anyone elses- dammit!

petros
Have conservationists orgs ever cut off public access to public lands by buying adjacent of surrounding properties?

PS there is no private property in Canada. You only have usage rights.

Locutus
the TIDES is high kids.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Have conservationists orgs ever cut off public access to public lands by buying adjacent of surrounding properties?

Not sure, maybe? But that wasn't done in this case. It's a park now...that's clearly public access.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Not sure, maybe? But that wasn't done in this case. It's a park now...that's clearly public access.

Maybe would be a yes. WWF has a nasty habit of blocking access as do others.

In this instance...so far.

Locutus
all you want to know about TIDES:

https://www.activistfacts.com/organi...-tides-center/ (external - login to view)

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Maybe would be a yes. WWF has a nasty habit of blocking access as do others.

Examples? Not that it matters, as I said it shouldn't matter to a conservative what someone does with land they purchased.

Quote:

In this instance...so far.

Well, it would be foolish to harp on them for something they might do at some point in the future at a time we're only hypothesizing...although it wouldn't be Tides then. They gifted the land with the condition that it be kept as a park. They don't own it anymore. It's right up there in the OP...

Locutus
Tides Directors In the Neighborhood

I find it interesting to note that the property that Tides USA chose to purchase is within walking distance of private properties owned by Drummond Pike and Joel Solomon. Going back even farther and further than Joel Solomon, Pike is also a central figure in the Tides network of charities. Pike was the CEO of Tides USA for 34 years before quietly departing in 2010. Pike is also the founding chair (external - login to view) of Tides Canada, the chairman (external - login to view) of the Endswell Foundation and a senior advisor to Renewal Partners (external - login to view). That's in addition to the 26 organizations of which Pike was a director, according to U.S. tax returns.

Hollyhock (external - login to view), a high-end, ocean-front charity facility which has been funded by Tides USA and Tides Canada - to the tune of at least $445,000 (external - login to view) - is also within walking distance of Hank's Beach. Hollyhock appears to be a mix of non-profit work and for-profit business, such as the "Bodywork" (external - login to view) offered by Hollyhock Farm Ltd. (Looks like a spa to me). Prior to entering B.C. politics in 2005, the treasurer (external - login to view) of Hollyhock Farm Ltd., was Gregor Robertson.

Back in 2006, in a Cortes Island newsletter, Carol Newell, the alleged founder of Tides Canada, gave the impression that she would personally buy the Hanks Beach property "in order to return our beach and trails to the community forever," she said. But did she? Who actually bought and paid for Hank's Beach?

Title searches and other records show that Hanks Beach was:
  • Bought by Weyerhauser on June 8, 2000
  • Sold by Weyerhauser to Island Timberlands on June 6, 2005
  • Sold by Island Timberlands to Monkey King Enterprises Ltd. on January 4, 2006
  • Sold by Monkey King Enterprises Ltd. to Renewal Land on June 1, 2006
  • Sold from Renewal Land to 0793406 B.C. LTD on June 1, 2008. That's a numbered company in Vancouver that is a wholly owned subsidiary of the U.S. Tides Foundation (see excerpt from U.S. tax returns, below).

At the request of Mrs. Dana Bass Solomon (external - login to view), the map at the right does not indicate the location of properties owned by herself and Joel Solomon. (Interestingly enough, of all the e-mails and letters (external - login to view) that I have sent to Joel Solomon, the only response that I ever received was this e-mail (external - login to view) from his wife, asking that the location of her home not be disclosed).

Treedom Ventures Ltd. Owned by Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson

A title search and other documents show that Hank's Beach is immediately adjacent to an 82 acre ocean-front property owned by Treedom Ventures Ltd., a B.C. company (external - login to view) which is owned or co-owned by Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson, according to his financial disclosure statement (external - login to view).

How much of Treedom Ventures is owned by Mayor Robertson is not clear to me but I have noticed that from 2002 (external - login to view) to 2006 (external - login to view), the directors/officers of Treedom Ventures Ltd. were Gregor Robertson and his wife, Amy, company records show.

Why Hank's Beach?

Of all the countries in the world where Tides USA could create a million-dollar, 150 acre park, why Canada? Why Cortes Island? And why Hank's Beach?

Tides USA says (external - login to view) that the land is "pristine," a "sensitive ecosystem" with "mature forests" but locals say that its far from pristine. Its been logged on and off for 70 years.

One thing is for sure, it won't hurt the property values of the vice-chair of Tides Canada and Mayor Gregor Robertson to be next door to a 150 acre park.

Goober
Free Thinker
When asking that question every answer will be left of right.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Just across the channel from Suzuki. About the only part of Cortez that has not been logged in the last 100 years is some pockets of Fir with no market value.

Kreskin
They bought it because it was cheap.

Dixie Cup
Libertarian
It's WHO is behind the Tides Foundation that should peak everyone's interest - especially in Canada. George Soros, for one, has his little fingys in that organization and multiple others and he's not one to mess around with. He has powerful allies and can easily destroy a country's economy because he's so loaded and has such powerful contacts in various governments around the world. Most politico's do his bidding because he can literally destroy them. Soros is just one of many like him who rule the roast behind the scenes. The Tides Foundation is only one of many that are just a front.

I would want the Canadian government to ensure that the Tides Foundation and other like foundations lose their charitable status since they have no charity at all in mind. They are deliberate and very subtle in their approaches and Canadians need to be aware of their agenda. They are NOT "charitable" and most certainly do not have OUR best interests at heart.

I'm not a conspiracy buff at all but this guy is serious business and from what I've read and examined about him and the Tides Foundation is quite scary. He pretends to be just a "business man" but believe me he's MUCH more than that. He didn't get to be a multi-billion (perhaps even a trillionaire) doing hard labour.

I'm just sayin....

JMO

petros
You're right. They aren't charities.

Locutus
(external - login to view)
Vivian Krause ‏@FairQuestions (external - login to view)

Monday's interview re: Tides campaign that landlocks our oil & costs Canada BILLION$:

http://bit.ly/1pjzi4J @JohnGormleyLive (external - login to view) @TidesCanada (external - login to view)

Locutus
"Since this article was written, Hollyhock has now deleted the tweet ..."

Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson (external - login to view) has a close relationship with the charity, and was once on the board at Hollyhock Farms Ltd. Hollyhock's main beneficiary TIDES Canada is also close to the mayor - their leadership have personally contributed to Robertson's campaigns, TIDES USA raised the property value of the mayor's Cortes Island home by purchasing 150 acres next-door. But, until yesterday, there has been no smoking gun about Hollyhock's political activities.

"Since this article was written, Hollyhock has now deleted the tweet ..." - Small Dead Animals (external - login to view)

Update: Since this article was written, Hollyhock has now deleted the tweet (external - login to view) from their account- interesting…

In January, 2012 I had the pleasure of staying at Hollyhock, a charity owned training resort on Cortes Island BC; one of the most beautiful places (external - login to view) on the planet. Hollyhock is a contentious place; some view it as (literally) magical, others see a dark side. My month there was dual purpose- both to get some rest and relaxation, and to try and dig through the myths.

What I’ve learned since then has astounded me, the stench of corruption is hard to miss. Hollyhock is both a New Age and activist training centre- their organizers and teaching staff has included not one, but two fake Pulitzer Prize nominees (external - login to view).

Other instructors have included a white plastic shaman (external - login to view) selling “indigenous knowledge” for $525 per head. I’ve read complaints to the local government about the polution coming from their septic tank system. But more important, there are many indications Hollyhock may be breaking CRA rules for partisan political support.

Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson has a close relationship with the charity, and was once on the board at Hollyhock Farms Ltd. Hollyhock’s main supporter TIDES Canada is also close to the mayor- their leadership have personally contributed to (external - login to view) Robertson’s campaigns, TIDES USA raised the property value (external - login to view) of the mayor’s Cortes Island home by purchasing 150 acres next-door. But, until yesterday, there has been no smoking gun about Hollyhock’s political activities.

The Canada Revenue Agency rules about partisanship are incredibly simple, saying “charity may not take part in an illegal activity or a partisan political activity”. This means that it is completely forbidden to promote a candidate or political party- either during, or outside of an election. The CRA defines partisan activist as “one that involves direct or indirect support of, or opposition to, any political party or candidate for public office”.

Ultimately, it will have to be left to the CRA to decide if Hollyhock has contravened partisanship rules- but, the message they sent on Twitter yesterday comes across as outwardly blatant:

VISION Vancouver is mayor Gregor Robertson’s municipal political party, Hollyhock’s link (external - login to view) directs their followers to VISION’s website. The first thing one sees when clicking this link is a promotion to vote for Gregor Robertson and his party:

This is entirely in contravention with CRA rules (external - login to view)

If you’re observant, you may have already noticed the screenshot includes the link’s URL, and that it contains an identifier called “recruiter_id”. VISION hosts their website with NationBuilder.com, a US website for managing political campaigns connected to the Democratic Party (this site previously covered how NationBuilder was used to take funds (external - login to view) by the people who co-opted Idle No More).

A NationBuilder Recruiter ID (external - login to view) is used to track the activities of an organization’s close partners who promote their campaigns- in this case the Recruiter ID is number 805 (a very low number). Without VISION’s cooperation (or a warrant) there’s no way to determine who Recruiter 805 is, but it just may be the smoking gun- does it belong to Hollyhock, or perhaps one of their directors?

If there was ever a clear and easily defined argument for why Hollyhock needs to be investigated for their political activities, this must be it. There’s no ambiguity in the CRA’s rules, partisan activity is absolutely forbidden- linking to a page asking people to pledge to vote, featuring a graphic saying “Go forward with VISION” and promoting the mayor is clearly in violation. Using their powers, the CRA could identify who “Recruiter 805″ is too- the public needs to know.

Anyone in Canada can file a complaint, they’re handled by the CRA’s Complaince Directorate (external - login to view)- I’ll be filing mine today. If you’d also like to see the CRA get to the bottom of this, you can submit your complaint to CharitiesComplianceDivisi.LPRA@cra-arc.gc.ca (external - login to view). They’re registered with the CRA as the Hollyhock Leadership Institute.
It’s time to clear things up…

BC Charity Caught Promoting Political Party (Feat. Hollyhock, VISION Vancouver) (external - login to view)

no new posts