Ontario short changed $1.2 Billion in federal transfers

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario short changed $1.2 Billion in federal transfers

OTTAWA - A forthcoming new report from the parliamentary budget officer is expected to show Ottawa is shortchanging Ontario to the tune of $1.2 billion under the current system of equalization payments, The Canadian Press has learned.

The report on how the federal government provides financial support to the provinces and territories for such things as health and social programs appears to confirm what Ontario has long suspected — only more so.

The $1.2 billion figure was provided by a source familiar with the report, to be released Thursday, who provided details on condition of anonymity because the report had not yet been made public. Details of how the parliamentary budget office reached its conclusions were not immediately available.

During the election campaign that delivered Premier Kathleen Wynne a majority government last week, the provincial Liberals accused Ottawa of slashing Ontario's latest share of equalization payments by $641 million.

The Harper government has long insisted Ontario was receiving its fair share, based on the performance of the province's economy.

Finance Minister Joe Oliver, who happened to be taking part in a video teleconference Wednesday with his provincial counterparts, said he does not believe there's a fiscal imbalance.

The issue did not come up during the brief meeting, which was Oliver's first with the provincial finance ministers since he was named to the post in March. Disparities between provincial and federal numbers are often "exaggerated," he said.

"We just recently came to an agreement on those numbers; we're not cutting back," he added, noting that transfers had increased by 55 per cent to $65 billion since the federal Conservatives came to power in 2006.

Oliver described the meeting as cordial, even hinting that he was making peace with Ontario's Liberal government. While he may disagree with them on key economic issues, the voters have spoken, he said.

He did say, however, that he disagrees with Ontario's budget, which raises taxes and the province's already substantial $12.5-billion deficit, as well as a plan to create an add-on to the Canada Pension Plan.

"The new government ran on their budget, they were elected, they are entitled in a democracy to implement their platform," he said.

"We have a certain policy and maybe this isn't the time to emphasize differences."

Oliver related the same sentiment on the issue of CPP enhancement, saying if Ontario wants to go it alone Ottawa won't try to stop them, although he said he expressed reservations about what he estimated would be a $3.5-billion price tag.

Ontario and P.E.I. have lead a provincial push to enhance the Canada Pension Plan, but the federal government has said the economy is too weak to saddle employees and employers with higher premiums.

In an email response, Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa said he plans to go ahead with the plan that was endorsed by the voters on June 12.

"We hope that they come to the table on a transit strategy, investment in the Ring of Fire (mineral extraction project in northern Ontario) and retirement income security," he said.

Harper government ministers have been critical of Ontario's Liberal government in the past — particularly during the latest campaign.

Oliver went so far as to say deficits and debt levels in Ontario and Quebec — Canada's two most populous provinces — were holding back Canada's economic growth.

He made clear, however, that his government intends to go in a different direction by lowering taxes, likely starting next year after it tables the first surplus budget in almost a decade.

"After we balance the budget the No. 1 priority will be further tax relief," he said. "(Canadians) understand that taxes stifle prosperity, hurt businesses and kill jobs."

The federal Conservatives are expected to introduce some form of income splitting for families with young children next year, fulfilling a 2011 campaign pledge to bring in the $2.5-billion tax relief measure once the deficit was eliminated.

PBO to show Ontario out $1.2B from transfers - Cranbrook Daily Townsman

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Will somebody else change the formula?

I'd gladly invest in a full 4 lane wide shoulder highway across Northern (it's actually western) Ontario. It would make for easy access to the multi pipeline oil and gas corridor built along side.

Incredible resources are sitting in waiting that could put things in the black for all of Canada but it's landlocked without decent infrastructure.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Ontario needs to get off its *** and develop out the ring of fire resources... But in the meantime, I don't believe that anyone will have any luck re-gigging equalization. In fact, I believe the entire arrangement is coming to some kind of close in the near future. Getting it going again will require buy-in from all the provinces... I'm guessing that you'll see a lot of talk about each province standing up on it's own rather than continually expecting cash from the have provinces.

Hell, look at Ontario, probably the biggest net contributor and now can't catch a break, meanwhile, the BCs of the world piss and moan about economic development, vow to stall the development and pipeline process and still feel entitled to equalization

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Will somebody else change the formula?

I'd gladly invest in a full 4 lane wide shoulder highway across Northern (it's actually western) Ontario. It would make for easy access to the multi pipeline oil and gas corridor built along side.

Incredible resources are sitting in waiting that could put things in the black for all of Canada but it's landlocked without decent infrastructure.

Yep, I think a lot of wealth could be unlocked in the Canadian Shield without disturbing a hell of a lot or buggering up the environment.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ontario needs to get off its *** and develop out the ring of fire resources... But in the meantime, I don't believe that anyone will have any luck re-gigging equalization. In fact, I believe the entire arrangement is coming to some kind of close in the near future. Getting it going again will require buy-in from all the provinces... I'm guessing that you'll see a lot of talk about each province standing up on it's own rather than continually expecting cash from the have provinces.

Hell, look at Ontario, probably the biggest net contributor and now can't catch a break, meanwhile, the BCs of the world piss and moan about economic development, vow to stall the development and pipeline process and still feel entitled to equalization

Allowing Provinces or residents to invest in each other without Feds getting in the way would be a good thing.

SPP paid 15.77% last year with an average of 8.91% over the last 5 years. I have no issues with someone from Nova Scotia investing in SK and making a great return. It spreads wealth within Canada and keeps wealth in Canada.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So I guess all those years Alberta was getting equalization payments, we should have just told the province to stfu if they didn't get their fair share for one year.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

The most populous part of Ontario balks at the idea of swampland and mosquitoes (who, this year, seem bigger and more vicious than in times past) because their world ends somewhere around Barrie. Another factor is in the people who were left alone on that useless tundra simply because it was of no use to the lumber barons of the day. Seems rather odd that the person doing constructive negotiation with the affected bands was so reviled by corporate Ontario

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
If Ontario hadn't destroyed their manufacturing industry they would not be in this position.

That had a lot to do with Free Trade..

However, their tax rate for corporations, and cost of doing business in that province has pushed a lot of companies to other provinces or right out of the country.

Spoken from "Texas" with his tail between his legs

Really, I own a few Canadian companies and building a restaurant in Alberta, Canada.

Most of my family currently live in Onterrible, and run successful small businesses.

Also, I was born in Onterrible..

So my opinion of Onterrible is valid.. more than others, that have never lived there, or have family living there.. and yes, sadly my family are all ultra Liberals... I keep trying to show them the errors of their ways... ;)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Free trade could have been extremely good for Ontariowe if they had not been so greedy collectively. High taxes and fees by multiple layers of government, high unit labour costs brought on by out of tough unions and repressive environmental laws all added up to be non competitive. Much like sawmills in BC. It is possible to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
All you really have to do is read up on the Darlington Nuclear Power project to see how money was tossed about in Ontario. Right now, I can show you four grade separations around Lindsay - all built during 1960-62 - over empty railbeds. One of them separated Kent St (date stamped 1961) from a railway that, for all intents and purposes, became surplus with the opening of the St Lawrence Seaway

That had a lot to do with Free Trade..

However, their tax rate for corporations, and cost of doing business in that province has pushed a lot of companies to other provinces or right out of the country.

Really, I own a few Canadian companies and building a restaurant in Alberta, Canada.

Most of my family currently live in Onterrible, and run successful small businesses.

Also, I was born in Onterrible..

So my opinion of Onterrible is valid.. more than others, that have never lived there, or have family living there.. and yes, sadly my family are all ultra Liberals... I keep trying to show them the errors of their ways... ;)

Really, I don't care. You'd explode if I gave the long version