oopsy ; Canadians respond to Conservative poll, name Liberal, NDP heroes

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Which of Canada's accomplishments of the last 150 years "make you most proud to be a Canadian?"

Canadians have handed the Harper government a Top 10 list of the country's greatest heroes, featuring some of the Conservative party's greatest adversaries, past and present.

The list, compiled from online consultations in the run-up to Canada's 150th birthday in 2017, includes Pierre Trudeau, Jack Layton, David Suzuki and Lester B. Pearson.

"The consultations were not partisan in any way shape or form," she said in an interview from her Winnipeg riding, noting for example that many Canadians do not regard Tommy Douglas as a New Democrat politician but simply as the father of medicare.

The government has yet to announce its budget and "overall theme and focus" for the 2017 celebrations. Glover would not provide a timeline.

The list was topped by former Liberal prime minister Pierre Trudeau, followed by marathon-of-hope runner Terry Fox; NDP leader Tommy Douglas; former Liberal prime minister Lester B. Pearson; astronaut Chris Hadfield; environmental activist David Suzuki; NDP leader Jack Layton; Sir. John A.; hockey legend Wayne Gretzky; and Romeo Dallaire, the soldier and Liberal senator who recently announced his resignation.

Read more: Harper gov't asks for Canada's greatest icons; residents respond by naming Liberal, NDP leaders | CTV News

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

This guy.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Must have only done this poll in Quebec since I doubt you could find 10 people west of ontario that consider Turdo a hero.

Ontario and the east tends to be where most of Canada's population is both when Trudeau was in power and now. Though that is changing pretty fast.

I don't get why David Suzuki is on the list. Looks like almost all of them are from the last 50 years. Canada is a bit older than that and has plenty of other folks to chose from.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Must have only done this poll in Quebec since I doubt you could find 10 people west of ontario that consider Turdo a hero.

Then where are all the French heroes?

Anyone with the balls to rock that combover deserves some recognition. Put this man on our money!

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Then where are all the French heroes?

!

His death and subsequent Parliamentary praise in the house for the man, a known traitor to Queen and country, was a keen insight into what our politicians really are; A group of people with a common vocation that trumps the people and the country they rule.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Funny how so many right wing Canadians on this forum hate him but the majority of Canadians revere him. Ohhh Canada!

My dad's veins pop out of his temples if you even mention his name. Some people do like him but I think there are others who hate him. So any poll is entirely dependant on who you ask. Also which region as the concentrations of both differ.