Mississauga parking restriction during prayer hours discriminates against Muslims


tay
#1
Two men say a parking restriction in the City of Mississauga that’s in effect during Friday prayer services discriminates against Muslims and they’re asking the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario to back their claim.


Salman Khalid, 32, is an emergency physician at a hospital about half an hour from the ISNA Canada Centre, a mosque he and his family have always attended in Mississauga, west of Toronto. In May 2012, he was given a ticket for parking on nearby Finfar Court rather than the mosque’s parking lot, while attending Friday prayer services.


The bylaw states that parking is prohibited on the side street, approximately one block from the mosque, between 12-3 p.m. on Fridays.


But this coincides with the mosque’s hours of prayer service on Islam’s holiest day of the week, according to Salman’s father, Muhammad.


“This is our Sabbath day. The Christians have Sundays, the Jewish people have Saturdays, the Muslims have Friday,” said Mr. Khalid, the elder. “It is at noontime. It’s not in the evenings, it’s not in the morning. It is specified in the Koran that that’s the time.”


Mr. Khalid and his son allege the parking bylaw is discriminatory and violates the Ontario Human Rights Code.
“It’s basically denying the Muslims to park over there. Other times, everybody can park.”


There are examples in other jurisdictions of informal exemptions for parking violations caused by nearby religious services.


According to Kimberly Rossi, parking enforcement unit manager for the Toronto Police Service: “You may find that the officer can give discretion on that because people are generally invited to park in those areas and it’s not causing any hazards or issues,” she said.


Montreal has had a policy of “parking tolerance” on Jewish high holidays for over 30 years, allowing orthodox Jews, who don’t drive on holidays, to avoid tickets.


Mr. Khalid said he would like to see the same form of accommodation given for Muslims in Mississauga.




more


Mississauga parking restriction during prayer hours discriminates against Muslims, rights complaint says | National Post
 
Corduroy
+4
#2  Top Rated Post
There are parking restrictions on Friday because it's a weekday. In the interests of non-discrimination we should have a three day weekend.
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Two men say a parking restriction in the City of Mississauga that’s in effect during Friday prayer services discriminates against Muslims and they’re asking the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario to back their claim.


Salman Khalid, 32, is an emergency physician at a hospital about half an hour from the ISNA Canada Centre, a mosque he and his family have always attended in Mississauga, west of Toronto. In May 2012, he was given a ticket for parking on nearby Finfar Court rather than the mosque’s parking lot, while attending Friday prayer services.


The bylaw states that parking is prohibited on the side street, approximately one block from the mosque, between 12-3 p.m. on Fridays.


But this coincides with the mosque’s hours of prayer service on Islam’s holiest day of the week, according to Salman’s father, Muhammad.


“This is our Sabbath day. The Christians have Sundays, the Jewish people have Saturdays, the Muslims have Friday,” said Mr. Khalid, the elder. “It is at noontime. It’s not in the evenings, it’s not in the morning. It is specified in the Koran that that’s the time.”


Mr. Khalid and his son allege the parking bylaw is discriminatory and violates the Ontario Human Rights Code.
“It’s basically denying the Muslims to park over there. Other times, everybody can park.”


There are examples in other jurisdictions of informal exemptions for parking violations caused by nearby religious services.


According to Kimberly Rossi, parking enforcement unit manager for the Toronto Police Service: “You may find that the officer can give discretion on that because people are generally invited to park in those areas and it’s not causing any hazards or issues,” she said.


Montreal has had a policy of “parking tolerance” on Jewish high holidays for over 30 years, allowing orthodox Jews, who don’t drive on holidays, to avoid tickets.


Mr. Khalid said he would like to see the same form of accommodation given for Muslims in Mississauga.




more


Mississauga parking restriction during prayer hours discriminates against Muslims, rights complaint says | National Post

meh, if it doesn't create congestion or create a safety hazard, who cares...
 
petros
+1
#4
You can't give one group a pass and not another.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You can't give one group a pass and not another.

Who is getting a pass? We work M-F so parking restrictions are based upon work week not religion.
 
B00Mer
Republican
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You can't give one group a pass and not another.

... O Salima, O Salima, open up a parking space!!

 
petros
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Who is getting a pass? We work M-F so parking restrictions are based upon work week not religion.

Saturday and Sunday are days off because of Religion. I can handle a third day to the weekend. You?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Saturday and Sunday are days off because of Religion.

It was no doubt set up that way in 1776 or whenever it started. But now its off because its the weekend.
 
petros
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

It was no doubt set up that way in 1776 or whenever it started. But now its off because its the weekend.

Not that long ago. Not even close.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Not that long ago. Not even close.

I took a guess. Hard to believe it was only started in 20th century.

Well the only solution is a 4 day work week. If they get parking restriction breaks and other breaks on Friday, they would discriminate against me -- a non-moslem.
 
petros
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I took a guess. Hard to believe it was only started in 20th century.

Well the only solution is a 4 day work week. If they get parking restriction breaks and other breaks on Friday, they would discriminate against me -- a non-moslem.

A hanger off the rear view like handicapped or stickers like I have for living near a stadium. No problem.

Why are you being discriminated against? You have Sat and Sunday.
 
Corduroy
#12
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

There. Giving your special parking privileges for your religion would be a law establishing religion. However, restricting parking on Fridays is about parking, not religion, and doesn't prohibit your free exercise of religion. Also, if Saturday and Sunday are days off for religious reasons, then no more weekend for you. Back to work, prole.
 
petros
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

There. Giving your special parking privileges for your religion would be a law establishing religion. However, restricting parking on Fridays is about parking, not religion, and doesn't prohibit your free exercise of religion. Also, if Saturday and Sunday are days off for religious reasons, then no more weekend for you. Back to work, prole.

Are you sure you understand what that means? BTW... Which part of the US is Mississauga in?
 
eh1eh
+1
#14
Mississauga parking restrictions discriminate against people.

Now fuk off and suck Allah's **** on your own time

stars are male member unit
 
Corduroy
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Are you sure you understand what that means? BTW... Which part of the US is Mississauga in?

Oops, I thought it said Mississippi. I should have known from the absence of shots fired.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#16
If they're that devout, why are they driving a car on a Holy day?
 
petros
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

If they're that devout, why are they driving a car on a Holy day?

They aren't Jews.
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

If they're that devout, why are they driving a car on a Holy day?

Allah likes things on time, no Koran restrictions on transport just so long as you hit the deck 5 times a day ON TIME

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

They aren't Jews.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, close relations
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#19
while Canada doesn't really have separation of church and state - it follows that any rules designed to protect religion favor the Church of England, not Islam
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

They aren't Jews.

Are cars not a product of westernism and created by infidels?

...and they weren't around in Mohammed's time.

I can point out a dozen streets around here where there are parking restrictions close to Christian Churches on Saturdays and Sundays for the simple reason driveways on those streets get blocked by Churchies who just don't give a damn.

'sides.... If Buddy's an ER physician, shouldn't he have preferential parking at the mosque - or is blocked parking a problem there too?
Last edited by lone wolf; Jun 15th, 2014 at 04:43 PM..
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

A hanger off the rear view like handicapped or stickers like I have for living near a stadium. No problem.

Why are you being discriminated against? You have Sat and Sunday.

But I want Friday too.

Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Allah likes things on time, no Koran restrictions on transport just so long as you hit the deck 5 times a day ON TIME

If there was a restriction on transports, car bombs would be difficult.
 
no new posts