Some Tim Hortons Cancell Paid Breaks in Ont over wage hike

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A Toronto-area Tim Hortons worker, who didn’t want her name or outlet location identified for fear of reprisals, said her employer posted a memo notifying staff he was ending breaks with pay to recoup costs.

“Given this new increase, as well as continued economic and competitive pressures, increasing commodity costs and minimal increases in menu pricing, effective June 1, we will be shifting all hourly team members in the restaurant to unpaid breaks,” the memo reads.

A spokeswoman for Tim Hortons said these decisions are made at the franchise level by each individual Tim Hortons restaurant owner, consistent with provincial labour regulations.

Under Ontario’s Employment Standards Act, employers are required to give workers a 30-minute unpaid meal break after five consecutive hours of work.

Ontario’s minimum wage jumps to $11 Sunday | Toronto Star

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TNCKFLjsrEg/U40mQkBs1NI/AAAAAAAAIQ4/LA9LihLT1oI/s1600/images+(58).jpg

On Sunday The Toronto Star reported that a Tim Hortons franchisee is eliminating paid breaks for his/her employees as retaliation against the June 1 increase of the minimum wage in Ontario to $11 per hour. Yesterday, I sent off a letter to the head office of the coffee and donut emporium. I would encourage others for whom this is an issue to do the same.

Here is that letter:

To Whom It May Concern:

It was with great dismay that I learned in Sunday's Toronto Star that some Tim Hortons' franchisees are retaliating against the new Ontario minimum wage by eliminating paid breaks for employees. An owner's memo released by an employee stated:

“Given this new increase, as well as continued economic and competitive pressures, increasing commodity costs and minimal increases in menu pricing, effective June 1, we will be shifting all hourly team members in the restaurant to unpaid breaks.”

While I imagine this news is most disheartening to the many who faithfully and cheerfully serve your products, you should be aware that it is also very distressing to consumers who care about workers' rates of remuneration and working conditions and try to make ethical decisions in their discretionary purchases. I am one such person among many.

Your corporate response cited in The Star, that these decisions are made at the franchise level by each individual Tim Hortons restaurant owner, consistent with provincial labour regulations, was unsatisfactory in the extreme for many reasons.

Tim Hortons has long marketed itself as a Canadian institution and icon that we should all revere as patriotic citizens. Who can forget the role your coffee and donut emporium has played over the years in bringing caffeine comfort to early-morning hockey dads, sending underprivileged kids to camp, and being in the most desolate of locations, including Afghanistan 'supporting our troops.'

Sad to say, all of that iconography rings hollow when head office absolves itself of any responsibility for the actions of its franchisees. To hide behind legalities, deferring to provincial regulations and decision-making protocols, conveys an air of corporate indifference and avarice, not leadership.

There is no doubt in my mind that should this controversy have a negative effect on your very profitable operations, the lamentations about price pressures cited by the above-quoted Toronto operator notwithstanding, you would use your influence to rectify this unacceptable gouging of your employees.

As one very active in social media and blogging, I intend to spread the word about this egregiously unfair situation as widely as I can. My purpose, of course, is to encourage as many as possible to boycott Tim Hortons until equity is restored.

I look forward to hearing from you on this matter.

...................................................................................
Should you feel so moved to express your views about the company's mistreatment of its employees, here is the link.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
much ado about nothing, they are abiding by the labour laws, they paid them prior although they did not have to, now they aren't going to

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Paid lunches before?.. I call horsebaloney on that claim.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Workers are in the US are feeling it too.

BLOG: What SeaTac tells us about $15 minimum wage » Northwest Asian Weekly |

$15 Minimum wage =

No more free parking
No more Overtime
No more free food

“I lost my 401k, health insurance, paid holiday, and vacation,” she responded. “No more free food,” she added.

Enjoy! Enjoy!
Frankly, even if it is the case it's really a good time to leave. Most good and successful employers treat staff extremely well. Certainly not with that kind of disdain. Yet, if the employer wants to penalize staff for getting a wage then those will certainly make up for paid parking by taking from the till. That's the kind of thing that happens when staff lose respect for employers.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I see all this rage about fifteen dollar minimum wage and I wonder what the hell is wrong
with this picture. Fifteen bucks eh? I have paid more than fifteen bucks for a long time
for farm work. No more parking and breaks. We don't hear the outrage when company
guys get huge wages and free parking and god knows what else.
Has the employer class become a bunch of skinflints? I guess so. You would think the
world was coming to an end over fifteen bucks. One thing I remember years ago when
the wage was five or six bucks I would leave my yard for that and I sure as hell wouldn't
work for fifteen bucks an hour either.
The excuse is oh its entry level work. The old excuse was we can pay women less
because the husband or father should be looking after them.

The one thing that is silly is if people get a raise some employers want to
take their benefits away to get even what a load of crap.
It is time for some employers to grow up paying your employees is part of
doing business

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I see all this rage about fifteen dollar minimum wage and I wonder what the hell is wrong
with this picture. Fifteen bucks eh? I have paid more than fifteen bucks for a long time
for farm work. No more parking and breaks. We don't hear the outrage when company
Has the employer class become a bunch of skinflints? I guess so. You would think the
world was coming to an end over fifteen bucks. One thing I remember years ago when
the wage was five or six bucks I would leave my yard for that and I sure as hell wouldn't

doing business

$15/hr times 10 staff is $150/hr just for wages. Haven't paid rent, supplies or franchise fees yet.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
$15/hr times 10 staff is $150/hr just for wages. Haven't paid rent, supplies or franchise fees yet.

Those employees are also ostensibly working for you and making you money every hour they are working.

In every economic change, there are winners and loser. The test isn't if you can find one sad case. The test is if people are better off overall. For every employer that does something like this, there will be others that don't and lots of people making more money.

Prices may change depending on how much the increase in wages is, but the fact is that if current prices don't support a living wage, then prices are too low.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

doing business

I think I know where that's going. I stop at A & W two or three times a week for coffee.............$1.25 a cup, when it gets higher than that I'll either drink it at home or at the bowling alley where it's 65 cents for seniors and $1.10 for everyone else. Timmy just won't be able to complete at $15 an hour.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I think I know where that's going. I stop at A & W two or three times a week for coffee.............$1.25 a cup, when it gets higher than that I'll either drink it at home or at the bowling alley where it's 65 cents for seniors and $1.10 for everyone else. Timmy just won't be able to complete at $15 an hour.

Well, if the minimum goes up, they will be on a level playing field.

Not that many people are willing to change their habits over nickels and dimes though. Some people wont be happy about it, but if it allows enough people to climb above the poverty line, it may be worth it.

Having minimum wages so low in many cases equates to having the government subsidize the wages, since anyone relying on that wage to support themselves, or good forbid a family, will require a lot of support from the government. Whenever possible, businesses should pull their own weight.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I usually stop at Tim Hortons for a coffee after the gym. Not tonight. I thought it would help the staff get an unpaid break.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, if the minimum goes up, they will be on a level playing field.

Not that many people are willing to change their habits over nickels and dimes though. Some people wont be happy about it, but if it allows enough people to climb above the poverty line, it may be worth it.

Having minimum wages so low in many cases equates to having the government subsidize the wages, since anyone relying on that wage to support themselves, or good forbid a family, will require a lot of support from the government. Whenever possible, businesses should pull their own weight.

They'll be on a level "playing field" all right, still below the poverty line buying $5 coffees. Just like boats on the water when the the tide comes in! -:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
with this picture. Fifteen bucks eh?

Just to be clear, $15/hour is from the story that Eagle posted. The minimum wage increase in Ontario was a $0.50 increase from $10.50/hour to $11.00/hour.

Dollar wise staff are down about $2.75 on a five hour shift. Assuming everyone is paid minimum wage of course.

Under employment law in Ontario employers are not required to pay for breaks, they are required to provide for an unpaid 30 minute break after five hours.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

That hourly figure does not account for payroll taxes, employer contributions to EI, CPP, etc.

The safe rule of thumb (in Canada) is to add 25%-30% to the wage that the employee receives and that # is what it actually costs the employer

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
They'll be on a level "playing field" all right, still below the poverty line buying $5 coffees. Just like boats on the water when the the tide comes in! -:)

Minimum wage workers are only employed by certain companies, so you would not see a direct one to one increase in prices along with the minimum wage. Something like fast food would be more greatly impacted, but that really isn't an essential part of anyone's budget. Stuff like rent and utilities wouldn't really be effected, and that is a huge part of the average budget.

Now, this isn't to say that a higher minimum is always better. We would have to find a sweet spot that balances the benefits to low wage workers against increased prices.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That hourly figure does not account for payroll taxes, employer contributions to EI, CPP, etc.

The safe rule of thumb (in Canada) is to add 25%-30% to the wage that the employee receives and that # is what it actually costs the employer

I' trying to keep it simple for the business illiterates. We used 1.4% of wage rate for payroll cost. In BC employees are entitled to a 10 min paid break every two hrs. And 1/2 hr unpaid lunch break.
Now it also depends on where the store is as to how much they can really aford to pay in wages. In a depressed economy such as high unemployment or large retirement population wages will be low and return tothe owner probably is as well. Where there is work sales are booming and fat food joints are forced to pay better just to get staff.
In our camp here in Kitamat even the cookhouse staff, who are mostly locals buy boxes of coffee from timmies instead of drinking the free grunge they feed us.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Doesn't that figure usually assume they are providing benefits?