Tractorgate: How Ontario Cons proved they are more P.C. than B.C.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
'Tractorgate' spawned from Kathleen Wynne photo op

PCs call out Liberal leader for farm safety, internet runs with it

A Liberal trip to the farm wound up giving the Progressive Conservatives a chance to sling mud Tuesday, in what the internet has nicknamed "Tractorgate."

When Liberal Leader Kathleen Wynne drove a tractor up to a campaign stop in Paris, near Brantford, she did so with farmer Sandra Vos sitting on top of the wheel well.

Just about two hours later, the PC team sent out a news release with the headline "PREMIER IS SETTING A BAD EXAMPLE," noting how many people they say have died in Ontario at farms and on tractors.

"According to the Health and Safety Guidelines for Ontario Tobacco Producers, farm tractors have killed 250 people on Ontario farms in a recent fifteen year period. Many of the deaths have involved rollovers to the side or rear, extra passengers falling from the tractor and bystanders being run over," the party said, the emphasis being theirs.

"As the Minister of Agriculture, Kathleen Wynne should set a good example by following ALL safety guidelines."

The Ontario Ministry of Labour's tractor safety guidelines do say that a competent person" should help someone training to drive a tractor by giving directions from a "safe distance."

Liberal MPP Deb Matthews reacted to the PCs' attempt to portray Wynne as a tractor disaster waiting to happen on a later conference call.

"There are important issues in this campaign and I suspect that how the premier drives a tractor is not one of those issues," she said.

After disembarking from what's now the most infamous tractor in Canadian politics, Wynne made an actual policy announcement: pouring $40 million over 10 years into a fund to help farmers buy equipment and support the agri-food industry.

But anyway, back to #tractorgate…

This is the first instalment of Spin Cycle, an occasional look at political messaging in the Ontario election campaign.

'Tractorgate' spawned from Kathleen Wynne photo op

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I rode on a lot of tractor fenders. Damned things don't come with a passenger seat and the back 40's a long walk come dinnertime.

If Hudak wants to set a good example, stop with the nit-picking. I'm sure he can find bigger things to gripe about

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
lol Whodat

The Tories cited Health and Safety Guidelines for Ontario Tobacco Producers that farm tractors have killed 250 people on Ontario farms in a “recent fifteen year period,” many of them were the result of extra passengers falling off.

Many Twitter users posted a similar photo of PC Leader Tim Hudak sitting on a blue tractor — with another man standing next to him.

When asked about the Hudak photo, which was taken last year at an agricultural event, the Tories responded that the tractor in that photo wasn’t moving.

However, Wynne’s spokeswoman later supplied video taken at the event that clearly shows Hudak driving the tractor with a passenger standing beside him.

Wynne faces dangerous tractor driving accusations | CityNews

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Wow.

I feel sorry for most of the people of ON.

So do we...........an we live here.
Gotta spare room?

I rode on a lot of tractor fenders. Damned things don't come with a passenger seat and the back 40's a long walk come dinnertime.

If Hudak wants to set a good example, stop with the nit-picking. I'm sure he can find bigger things to gripe about

No stone shall be left ungriped.

En route to the bush, on the farm, back when, I rode shotgun on my uncle's tractor, hanging on like a bugger. Twas 3 miles and I wasn't about to walk.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
So do we...........an we live here.
Gotta spare room?

Always got room for you here Nuggs.

Stampede week comin' up pretty fast, so make certain that you get your liver in prime condition and ready for 10 days of drinking and heavy abuse.

PS - they have free breakfasts across the city for that time, so if'n we end up whoopin it up til dawn, it's just a beer or 2 wait for some sustenance