CONS concerned about Fantinos Electability

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Amid calls for his resignation, curious robocalls in Vaughan fuel rumours that Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino may soon be leaving the Harper government.

The calls were conducted by the Conservative-friendly Grassroots Public Affairs from a Toronto based number associated with the company. When reached for comment, an automatic voicemail identifies the number as a "research line for Grassroots Public Affairs".

Residents of Vaughan, Ontario -- a suburb North of Toronto -- received robocalls surveying their likelihood to vote for Fantino as Mayor of Vaughan in the municipal election slated for October 27, 2014.

Multiple sources in the region confirm that the calls were received shortly after 7:00 p.m. local time on May 15 and asked residents whether they would vote for Fantino, or the incumbent Vaughan Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua. A recording of the call was also provided to the Vancouver Observer.

"I was surprised to get this call. And to hear that Fantino appears to be running for Mayor of Vaughan. The robocall poll only listed two people -- Mr. Fantino and Mr. Bevilacqua -- and it asked who I would vote for, Fantino or Bevilacqua," said Vaughan resident Carrie Liddy.

"It looks like they are getting ready to run a campaign for Fantino in Vaughan and they are testing the waters to see if the public is favourable to electing him as Mayor," said Liddy.

more

Strange robocalls fuel rumours of Fantino's forthcoming resignation | Vancouver Observer

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
""I don't know where you got it from. I don't really care, and it is completely off base -- don't waste your time. This is categorically false. Minister Fantino has every intention to remain as the Member of Parliament for Vaughan, and in his role as the Minister of Veterans Affairs".

Well, that's sort of bad news too.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
He ran from her like a coward.

He has betrayed Canadian veterans, he has disrespected them, he has nickel and dimed them to death.
There is never enough money to help the wounded, the elderly, and their families, or keep regional offices open.
But it turns out there is all the money in the world to try to make Julian Fantino look good.
The federal Conservative government is spending millions of dollars on advertising to counter complaints from veterans that their sacrifices are not being adequately compensated.
Because you know, it's not HIS fault so many veterans despise him for disrespecting them

It's THEIR fault.
Mr. Fantino said the ads are necessary because there is a huge amount of “misinformation, miscommunication, confusion,” even on the part of veterans themselves about what benefits are available.

They're too dumb to understand. And he's just trying to REACH them.
The minister denied that the ads were created to promote the government. “It’s just trying to reach those who we are committed and dedicated to serve and to help.”
But when veterans try to reach the number in the propaganda ad, all too often nobody answers the phone.
And when they try to reach Fantino in person, like the wife of this veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder did today...

An angry Jenifer Migneault chased after Julian Fantino and demanded to speak to the veterans affairs minister following his appearance Thursday at a House of Commons committee hearing.
"We're nothing to you," Migneault said, throwing her arms up in frustration when Fantino — whose image took a bruising in the last encounter — and his staff chose not to stop and explain the government's position.
And all I can say is that a spouse who has lived and cared for someone with PTSD for eight years, deserves our admiration, and all the help and support they can get.
And at the very least Jenifer Migneault deserved a few minutes of Fantino's precious time.
"A man like that is supposed to be so proud of my husband's service? C'mon, that's a joke.… We're the ones who live 24 hours a day with their heroes."
Because she's absolutely right. The Cons should not be spending millions on propaganda to try to make a loser like Fantino look good. They should be spending it to help veterans and their families who need it so desperately.
That's what we do in Canada. How hard is that to understand?
But then they are the Cons, Canada will not be Canada again until they are defeated.

Jenifer Migneault deserves our thanks for trying to tell him what so many feel.
The man should never have been made a minister.
He is a loser and a coward.
And he should be fired...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Very little on the political scene would please me more than Julian Fantino's removal from gov't in disgrace.

The man is scum.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Very little on the political scene would please me more than Julian Fantino's removal from gov't in disgrace.

The man is scum.
But aren't you a conservative supporter ? If this was a liberal you can be sure Born Ruff would be defending him .

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
But aren't you a conservative supporter ? If this was a liberal you can be sure Born Ruff would be defending him .

There's a difference between being a "true conservative supporter" and a dumb fukktard.

We voted Progressive Conservative for years - then along came C.R.A.P.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Fantino takes his orders from the PMO like the rest of them.

Definitely, but while waiting for his orders he is supposed to at least pretend that he has some level of respect for veterans, which is something that he is clearly unable to do.

He had one job.........

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
There's a difference between being a "true conservative supporter" and a dumb fukktard.

We voted Progressive Conservative for years - then along came C.R.A.P.
That's it in a nutshell....

Anti-union me is a poor mix with NDP and I thought Liberals were what this greedy bastardization the Party's become under the Mulroneys and the Harris' and the Harpers of them.

Someone (and you can pretty much guess who) in another thread likened human emotion coming secondary to policy. CRAP is a pretty good word. The day the heart left the Party took a bit longer for me. I wouldn't trust a Tory, now, as far as I could throw a Tory ... NOW.

Yeah.... Fantino's a newer name to add on the list. I didn't like his snarky attitude on OPP either. $4 mil that could go to veterans service goes to propaganda that says how much they do for vets....

Right!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I know that all parties are concerned about the electability of all their candidates.

Fantino takes his orders from the PMO like the rest of them.
Who should he take orders from other than his boss?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Harper takes credit if it works and denies if it doesn't

Can you prove otherwise what history has already proven fact, Walter ... or just display another set of bruised tenderlies?

I know that all parties are concerned about the electability of all their candidates.

How about the people he's supposed to represent ... or is that just too ethical?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

There are many different management styles. Cabinet ministers would always take direction from above in terms of overall goals, but Harper has been much more of a micro manager than past leaders. Ministers used to be much more of an authority on their respective portfolio, but it is more and more clear that they are just conduits for talking points given to them by the PMO.

You can't really have a meaningful exchange with any of them, since if it goes off of their talking points, they may as well be mute.