Ontario Liberal budget would have created 2.2 million jobs

mentalfloss
It's a good thing Horwath cares about families instead of political posturing </purple>

Ryerson Professor Says Liberal Budget Would Have Created 2.2 Million Jobs

There's a lot of discussion today about Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak's plan to create one million jobs over 10 years. So it piqued my interest when I saw an opinion piece in today's Huffington Post by Murtaza Haider, associate professor at the Ted Rogers School of Management. In it, Haider argues that the Liberal budget the PCs and NDP defeated would have created 2.2 million jobs over 10 years, more than double what Hudak is promising:

My co-authors and I undertook a detailed study of investing in Ontario's infrastructure and its impact on the economy. We determined the impact of infrastructure investments on job creation, GDP growth, and tax revenue. ...

...we estimate that over the 10-year period, $130 billion in infrastructure spending would have created 2.2 million person-years of employment. Stated differently, an average $13 billion per year in infrastructure spending would have created 220,000 person-year of employment. ...

Investment in infrastructure development and renewal, and not spending cuts, is needed to maintain Ontario's competitiveness. Not spending now will result in the reduced productive capacity in the future when the private sector is ready to boost the economy. It will be foolish to wait when we could act now.

Read the full article and tell us: do you agree with Haider or was voting down the budget the right call for Ontario's economy?

For more election analysis, read Steve Paikin's coverage of the campaign.

Ryerson Professor Says Liberal Budget Would Have Created 2.2 Million Jobs | The Agenda

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
the bigger question is where the money was to come from. $13 billion a year just for infrastructure is a fair chunk of change. How much does Ontario now spend?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Sure it would have. No partisanship by OP and article authour at all.

petros
So what is it? 2.2 million jobs or 2.2 million person-years of employment?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Sure it would have. No partisanship by OP and article authour at all.

Ryerson has a very good reputation for being a business-centric school so I would argue it is pretty credible. It is also a polytechnic university so the focus is on pragmatic research.

Walter
+1
I heard it would have create a billion jobs and everyone would get ice cream for breakfast.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

I heard it would have create a billion jobs and everyone would get ice cream for breakfast.

I LOVE ice cream for breakfast!

(Actually I don't, but I like the sentiment.)

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Infrastructure's great stuff - until you realize the tolls you pay on a Province-owned highway go to Spain; and a provincial utility that inflates the cost of sales to you are sold at much-discounted rates to the United States; and the provincial railroad that transported Northern Ontario gold and silver to Toronto coffers has been under threat of demolition for 20 years; and a large portion of the provincial highway system was downloaded onto municipalities ... and any new infrastucture has to compete with infrastructure we already had and are still paying for.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
#9  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Infrastructure's great stuff - until you realize the tolls you pay on a Province-owned highway go to Spain;

Now, if the highway went to Spain, that would be cool!