The Power of 'Like'

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Geez ... I've posted a few dandies. S'ppose a million likes would get TPTB (the powers that be) to do some?

You're right, LW, it does warrant its own thread! 'sides, that one was gettin' ugly.

I s'ppose it would, LW, and I think they'd be foolish to put facebook on iggy.

post your likes and likenesses below

er... your ideas you think there may be more than just you who likes. lol

anyway, to my suggestion below, it probably won't get much traction because the unworldly masses will likely think that they really would have to vote that way.... and not realize that 'like'ing a notion only supports the idea, and the only one actually making the pledge is the originator.

perhaps the notion just needs another way to put it... other than promising something no one has any intention to deliver.

how about this as a compromise...

I think the war on drugs should NOT include marijuana or ANY of its derivatives.

now that might fly

The Power of 'Like'.

Or 'Like' contagion, if you prefer; when your statement gets 'like'd by millions, the media and politics must surely take notice!

You know, when something goes viral on the internet the true numbers can be deceiving. Take the Walk Off The Earth's viral rendition of Goteye's Somebody that I used to know a couple years back where you recall it got shared around a lot due to it's very creative and entertaining concept of all five band members playing on one guitar simultaneously. It was so hot it got about a million hits per week for the first month or so. Even now it's approaching 160 million hits (and I just hit it again). Somebody That I Used to Know - Walk off the Earth (Gotye - Cover) - YouTube

And while something gone 'viral' most certainly indicates a great interest, it is a guessing game to determine just how much interest there is in terms of sheer numbers of people showing it with a click - because after all a million hits on any web page is not a guarantee that a million people have just viewed the page. When it's something like a music video that people like they'll click that sucker over and over again so that a million 'views' does not a million rock fans make. It's likely way closer to 50,000 people watching it 20 times each on average.

But the facebook 'like' can be a political tool that we as a society really ought to get creative in learning how to harness. It is a de facto plebiscite in the making which takes no government involvement to spawn. And yet no government would last the fallout if it did not take heed of what the people 'like'. Since a person can only 'like' something once, 10 million 'like's represents 10 million votes and the government and political parties had better sit up and take notice lest they find themselves at the end of the bread line.

So if someone makes a facebook statement such as, oh, I don't know... it could be anything, a change you aspire to see... but I like this one because it's mine: "I pledge my vote, for life, to the political party that legalizes marijuana." Now if that sentiment gets a few million 'like's in a few weeks there's no goddam way in hell that the media isn't going to make the politicians aware that there is a movement afoot. Like I say, they had better act accordingly or find themselves playing second fiddle.

What I really like about this idea is the democratic guarantee that our votes are secret and they can never know if you're keeping up your end of the bargain. Ain't it grand? Politicians lie all the time to get elected. How cool is the notion that we can lie in a 'like' to have laws changed and then turf the bums anyway? uh-huh - poetic justice!

THE POLITICAL POWER OF 'LIKE'

It's, like, in your hands, people!

Now come on, fire some ideas out there on your own 'like' choice issues!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
aw ya bunch of non-believers!

Aw, I

your idea, in theory.

But what about all the troll likes? How can you tell the sincere from the insincere? What about the people who just 'like' liking things, who vote with a big thumbs up without understanding what they're voting for? Well, I guess that's a lot like regular voting that way.

In some sort of quasi-seriousness though, the internet can be a powerful tool. But it can also be a vehicle for tools. I can envision it being used more formally in the future but I just don't think the medium is evolved enough yet.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
yeah, there's always that possibility that some 'like's will be insincere, however, they only get one 'like' each, so it's probably as accurate a measure as any other poll, i.e., plus or minus five percent, nineteen times out of twenty.

I'm sure they do use polls to make other changes in law and such.

But people need to understand a 'like' is not a binding commitment on anyone, just an influence to change.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm sure they look at online trends now as at least one indicator of which way the wind is blowing.

I do think as this up and coming generation moves more into political power positions, that the utilization of social media will become more of an accurate tool for measuring political will. They will be the generation to hone it. Right now I don't think there is enough of a presence of serious minded individuals to really bring it beyond the superficial popularity level.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
are we supposed to put a like on the OP...it was long and I got lost so I quit reading it...lol

if'n ya want likes ya gotta grab the attention and run with it to score...:blob4:

ruuuuuuuuuun Forrest....ruuuuuun

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
are we supposed to put a like on the OP...it was long and I got lost so I quit reading it...lol

if'n ya want likes ya gotta grab the attention and run with it to score...:blob4:

ruuuuuuuuuun Forrest....ruuuuuun
lol

cuz mom said

ya never know what kinda gubmint you'll get!