Harper government is 'creeping' you on Facebook

mentalfloss
+1
Federal government is ‘creeping’ your Facebook page

The government that characterized the long-form census as unduly intrusive is increasingly lifting Canadians’ personal information from their social networking websites, according to the federal privacy watchdog.

In a letter to Treasury Board President Tony Clement, interim privacy commissioner Chantal Bernier said an “increasing number” of government institutions are collecting publicly available personal information from sites like Facebook and Twitter “without any direct relation to a program or activity.”

“We are seeing evidence that personal information is being collected by government institutions from social media sites without regard for accuracy, currency and accountability,” Bernier wrote in the February letter obtained by the Star.

“Should information culled from these sites be used to make administrative decisions about individuals, it is incumbent upon government institutions to ensure the accuracy of this information; it is not at all clear that this obligation is being, or could be, met.”

Bernier’s office flagged government surveillance of social media in a January special report to Parliament, but snooping and collecting data are two different things under the Privacy Act.

The letter notes that while publicly available information can be used by the government, it cannot be collected except for a specific program or activity. The Privacy Act also requires the government to take steps to ensure the accuracy of the information gathered. It’s not known whether authorities are complying with either obligation.

Bernier’s office is calling on Treasury Board to develop specific guidelines for the “collection, use and dissemination” of information gathered through online sources, including social media sites.

On Monday, Clement said he was “a bit skeptical” of Bernier’s concerns.

“Canadians willingly put onto social media all sorts of information, so it should not be a surprise that corporations, individuals, good guys, bad guys, and governments are collecting the freely available information they put on social media sites,” Clement said.

Federal government is ‘creeping’ your Facebook page

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+4
One of the most disturbing things about this government is that they are reluctant to tell us anything they are up to, but seem intensely interested in every little thing we are up to.

I think there's going to be a backlash soon. We really don't even know what this Orwellian data collection is costing the taxpayer. it can't be cheap. How can we expect a government to make sure corporations respect our privacy when the government are the worst offenders.

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

We really don't even know what this Orwellian data collection is costing the taxpayer. it can't be cheap.

Considering our Debt to GDP ratio is the highest it's ever been, it must be pretty costly.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The letter notes that while publicly available information can be used by the government, it cannot be collected except for a specific program or activity. The Privacy Act also requires the government to take steps to ensure the accuracy of the information gathered. It’s not known whether authorities are complying with either obligation.

“Canadians willingly put onto social media all sorts of information, so it should not be a surprise that corporations, individuals, good guys, bad guys, and governments are collecting the freely available information they put on social media sites,” Clement said.

It would seem from the last comment that they do not care about the rules, as usual!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+3
They probably don't 'like' my comments....

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1
Hopefully they aren't getting around the privacy settings - but they probably are.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

It would seem from the last comment that they do not care about the rules, as usual!

Rules are for sheeple.

What kind of anarchist are you?

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Rules are for sheeple.

What kind of anarchist are you?

Sorry Cliffy, my bad. I will submit the usual fine to the association.

Twila
+1
That explain alot. For the most part people are as boring as f*, so whom ever is watching must be bored to tears...and or sleeping.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

Sorry Cliffy, my bad. I will submit the usual fine to the association.

I thought only Rotarians practiced paying fines for stepping outside the accepted view.

Retired_Can_Soldier

THIS JUST IN INFORMATION GLEANED FROM FACEBOOK COULD RESULT IN MORE MORE CONSERVATIVE DINNER PIC POSTING. READ MORE IN YOUR WEEKEND STAR.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

THIS JUST IN INFORMATION GLEANED FROM FACEBOOK COULD RESULT IN MORE MORE CONSERVATIVE DINNER PIC POSTING. READ MORE IN YOUR WEEKEND STAR.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Scooby
Next, the government will explain the ratio between political dissidence and income tax audits

Count_Lothian
+2
It's odd how people that are conservative on this site will do anything not to realize the depth of depravity our government will go to .
In this case in order to feed their spin doctoring ways.

Nothing is sacred ,your privacy is but a whimzy for the thirst they have for your personal moments.

It's marketing 101 and every bite is optimum for these bastards.

Of course the reality is , these members think they are conservatives when in fact they are just supporting a logo nowadays.

How much do they think for themselves, and notice the depth they bring to their brand.

ROFLMAO, you can't buy this sort of entertainment.

Look around and see them defend Rob Ford whilst trying to distance themselves from him.

It had me in stitches today .

They know and feel the pain from the likes of Hudak, lol Hudak!!!! but they will vote for him because they are free thinking...
Anyone voting for Hudak has to lie to themselves beyond anything a Liberal has to do to support Justin.
There is no comparison , Justin gaffes are nothing compared to the tyranny of Harper , or the moronic campaigning of Hudak

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
If they're creeping Facebook, they're creeping here. Hey Steve--what's up buddy. Luv ya man.

relic
Free Thinker
+2
Hey steve go **** yourself !

petros
+1
Gathering publicly displayed information. Creeeeeepy.

55Mercury
The Power of 'Like'.

Or 'Like' contagion, if you prefer; when your statement gets 'like'd by millions, the media and politics must surely take notice!

You know, when something goes viral on the internet the true numbers can be deceiving. Take the Walk Off The Earth's viral rendition of Goteye's Somebody that I used to know a couple years back where you recall it got shared around a lot due to it's very creative and entertaining concept of all five band members playing on one guitar simultaneously. It was so hot it got about a million hits per week for the first month or so. Even now it's approaching 160 million hits (and I just hit it again).

Somebody That I Used to Know - Walk off the Earth Gotye - Cover - YouTube

And while something gone 'viral' most certainly indicates a great interest, it is a guessing game to determine just how much interest there is in terms of sheer numbers of people showing it with a click - because after all a million hits on any web page is not a guarantee that a million people have just viewed the page. When it's something like a music video that people like they'll click that sucker over and over again so that a million 'views' does not a million rock fans make. It's likely way closer to 50,000 people watching it 20 times each on average.

But the facebook 'like' can be a political tool that we as a society really ought to get creative in learning how to harness. It is a de facto plebiscite in the making which takes no government involvement to spawn. And yet no government would last the fallout if it did not take heed of what the people 'like'. Since a person can only 'like' something once, 10 million 'like's represents 10 million votes and the government and political parties had better sit up and take notice lest they find themselves at the end of the bread line.

So if someone makes a facebook statement such as, oh, I don't know... it could be anything, a change you aspire to see... but I like this one because it's mine: "I pledge my vote, for life, to the political party that legalizes marijuana." Now if that sentiment get a few million 'like's in a few weeks there's no goddam way in hell that the media isn't going to make the politicians aware that there is a movement afoot. Like I say, they had better act accordingly or find themselves playing second fiddle.

What I really like about this idea is the democratic guarantee that our votes are secret and they can never know if you're keeping up your end of the bargain. Ain't it grand? Politicians lie all the time to get elected. How cool is the notion that we can lie in a 'like' to have laws changed and then turf the bums anyway? uh-huh - poetic justice!

THE POLITICAL POWER OF 'LIKE'

It's, like, in your hands, people!
Last edited by 55Mercury; May 9th, 2014 at 05:53 PM..

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Geez ... I've posted a few dandies. S'ppose a million likes would get TPTB (the powers that be) to do some?

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

It's odd how people that are conservative on this site will do anything not to realize the depth of depravity our government will go to .

I'm not spin doctoring anything.

Quote:

Nothing is sacred ,your privacy is but a whimzy for the thirst they have for your personal moments.

People that post personal info publicly leave themselves vulnerable to scrutiny.

Quote:

Of course the reality is , these members think they are conservatives when in fact they are just supporting a logo nowadays.

How much do they think for themselves, and notice the depth they bring to their brand.

It would seem to me that your the one who can't seem to come to terms with his political identity. It's okay to be left/right/center agnostic whatever. This veiled contempt seems rather contrived.

Quote:

Look around and see them defend Rob Ford whilst trying to distance themselves from him.

What has me in stictches is the baloney your peddling.

Quote:

They know and feel the pain from the likes of Hudak, lol Hudak!!!! but they will vote for him because they are free thinking...
Anyone voting for Hudak has to lie to themselves beyond anything a Liberal has to do to support Justin.
There is no comparison , Justin gaffes are nothing compared to the tyranny of Harper , or the moronic campaigning of Hudak

ROFLMAO!!!!!

You can come out of the closet any time Gilligan. It's okay to be Liberal here.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Dude anything you post on facebook is public domain. That means anyone can read it, ever the government. Fact or fiction matters not. Census data OTH is gathered by the government on threats of fines and jail for non compliance. accuracy is irrelevant as long as you fill in the blanks.

Count_Lothian

I'm not spin doctoring anything.

It wasn't directed you at all, how do you think it was.

Quote:

People that post personal info publicly leave themselves vulnerable to scrutiny.

Yeah well once Big Brother is acceptable behavior something is lost.

Quote:

It would seem to me that your the one who can't seem to come to terms with his political identity. It's okay to be left/right/center agnostic whatever. This veiled contempt seems rather contrived.

There is no veil.
I loved my Conservative party , even went along with the Reform end of it. Still think Manning would have made a great PM.

To be honest I'm more bent towards the NDP in the Ontario election.
As for Justin, like i said he needs speech lessons uhm uhm uhm ahh yeah.

Quote:

What has me in stictches is the baloney your peddling.

and what baloney may that be.
My main gripe is the fact Harper has lied and peddled propaganda . He slices up an Interview in order to say Justin's take on the economy is that budget take care of themselves. Does this over and over , and you people lap it up.

I know you all have to be feeling like arseholes for supporting these people.

Tim Hudak is promising a million jobs.

Now thats baloney peddling and you are going to vote for him, and you call me down. HA!!
you people are frightened , there is nothing of substance comeing out your pie holes about Hudak.

The Harper lies and the rest of it is so bad you can't admit to it at all. Pretend it will go away.

Quote:

You can come out of the closet any time Gilligan. It's okay to be Liberal here.

More nebulous nothing bashing.

You people are so brain washed with this "C" logo it stinks and you know it.

MaCKay got ripped off , more baloney no one comments on.
Why not discuss what a decent thing they do for the vets.

Sign this and forget your pension decency.

It's a shame you don;t have the Kahunnas to know when to fold .

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Dude anything you post on facebook is public domain. That means anyone can read it, ever the government. Fact or fiction matters not. Census data OTH is gathered by the government on threats of fines and jail for non compliance. accuracy is irrelevant as long as you fill in the blanks.

Well if your ok with this sort of culture fine.
I'm not.

I find it repugnant .

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

There is no veil.
I loved my Conservative party , even went along with the Reform end of it. Still think Manning would have made a great PM.

My main gripe is the fact Harper has lied and peddled propaganda . He slices up an Interview in order to say Justin's take on the economy is that budget take care of themselves. Does this over and over , and you people lap it up.

Now thats baloney peddling and you are going to vote for him, and you call me down. HA!!
you people are frightened , there is nothing of substance comeing out your pie holes about Hudak.

The Harper lies and the rest of it is so bad you can't admit to it at all. Pretend it will go away.

MaCKay got ripped off , more baloney no one comments on.

Sign this and forget your pension decency.

It's a shame you don;t have the Kahunnas to know when to fold .

Well if your ok with this sort of culture fine.
I'm not.

I find it repugnant .

One of many reasons we voted Harper in. He did away with some of the government intrusion in our lives like the long form census with jail threats for noncompliance. And the anti freedom long gun registry. Another ten years and we just may have some of our rights back.

relic
Free Thinker
+5
#25  Top Rated Post
You dumb **** you were very easily convinced the census was "intrusive" but you think all the other ways the govt spies on you is hunky dory. You goomers willingly only see what steve and his ilk want you to see.

Retired_Can_Soldier

It was a generalization. You make generalizations and everyone sort of gets painted with the same brush.

Quote:

I agree. Free speech as well.

Quote:

There is no veil.

Me too.

Quote:

And regarding the next quote check the quote above.

Quote:

Jack Layton used Harper in a Hitler stance. The lIberals said he was going to put armed soldiers in cities. CANADIAN CITIES... With Arms!

Quote:

I don't. I'm highly critical of many things they do. Check my posts and a couple of my threads. I'd love an alternative, but show me one feasible alternative.

Quote:

Probably not. I'm seriously considering pulling pin and heading to Alberta permanently. I can't take the low wages, the taxes, the car insurance.

Quote:

Really? How would you know that.

Quote:

"C: logo yeah.

Quote:

I have.
From a Conservative: Our Government is failing our Veterans

Quote:

It's a shame you don;t have the Kahunnas to know when to fold.

I haven't and I have some pretty big Kahunna's there Cunny.

Count_Lothian

It was a generalization. You make generalizations and everyone sort of gets painted with the same brush.

not even close, you need to say this in order to negate me as a poster for your agenda which is threatened by me.
You know it and you settle in for the insult crap.

Quote:

I don't. I'm highly critical of many things they do. Check my posts and a couple of my threads. I'd love an alternative, but show me one feasible alternative.

What you call highly critical I will get to in a moment.
This incarnation of the conservatives is so contemptuous there is nothing other than for you to bring up their faults. It's imposable not to.

If you had anything going in the stand up for what you know department you would drop this incarnation like the warm turds they are.

Quote:

Probably not. I'm seriously considering pulling pin and heading to Alberta permanently. I can't take the low wages, the taxes, the car insurance.

Well being independently wealthy the thought of living in Alberta is frightful .

169 - Ray Liotta - YouTube

That was my first clue about you. I gave you a green for that and then realized you had to say this in order to live with Harpeism(I coined this word by the way, at least I think I did)
Then I watched as you sort of bring up the bad and then chase it down with a lot of inept insults at Justin. Someone who in real life makes you look like a schmuck who thinks the good life lies in a job in Alberta.

here is what I think of you , seriously. time stamp 1;09 will do it.

Yonge Street - Part 1 - YouTube

you think it clever to slightly expel the virtues of Harper being wrong , what you did in that thread towards the cause of Vets is despicable. This government is fukcing over Vets and you call what you did anything other than trying to lighten the harm done. Yes you just tried to lessen the violence done to what we are supposed to consider our finest . these guys should have the best retirement of anyone. something off the scale better than a senator or a PM for that matter. Instead they figured out how to con them out of it for 35 grand!!! and you do squat in order to defend these asswipes

Quote:

I haven't and I have some pretty big Kahunna's there Cunny.

cool
Last edited by Count_Lothian; May 10th, 2014 at 05:55 PM..