Harper government is 'creeping' you on Facebook

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Federal government is ‘creeping’ your Facebook page

The government that characterized the long-form census as unduly intrusive is increasingly lifting Canadians’ personal information from their social networking websites, according to the federal privacy watchdog.

In a letter to Treasury Board President Tony Clement, interim privacy commissioner Chantal Bernier said an “increasing number” of government institutions are collecting publicly available personal information from sites like Facebook and Twitter “without any direct relation to a program or activity.”

“We are seeing evidence that personal information is being collected by government institutions from social media sites without regard for accuracy, currency and accountability,” Bernier wrote in the February letter obtained by the Star.

“Should information culled from these sites be used to make administrative decisions about individuals, it is incumbent upon government institutions to ensure the accuracy of this information; it is not at all clear that this obligation is being, or could be, met.”

Bernier’s office flagged government surveillance of social media in a January special report to Parliament, but snooping and collecting data are two different things under the Privacy Act.

The letter notes that while publicly available information can be used by the government, it cannot be collected except for a specific program or activity. The Privacy Act also requires the government to take steps to ensure the accuracy of the information gathered. It’s not known whether authorities are complying with either obligation.

Bernier’s office is calling on Treasury Board to develop specific guidelines for the “collection, use and dissemination” of information gathered through online sources, including social media sites.

On Monday, Clement said he was “a bit skeptical” of Bernier’s concerns.

“Canadians willingly put onto social media all sorts of information, so it should not be a surprise that corporations, individuals, good guys, bad guys, and governments are collecting the freely available information they put on social media sites,” Clement said.

Federal government is ‘creeping’ your Facebook page

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
One of the most disturbing things about this government is that they are reluctant to tell us anything they are up to, but seem intensely interested in every little thing we are up to.

I think there's going to be a backlash soon. We really don't even know what this Orwellian data collection is costing the taxpayer. it can't be cheap. How can we expect a government to make sure corporations respect our privacy when the government are the worst offenders.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The letter notes that while publicly available information can be used by the government, it cannot be collected except for a specific program or activity. The Privacy Act also requires the government to take steps to ensure the accuracy of the information gathered. It’s not known whether authorities are complying with either obligation.

“Canadians willingly put onto social media all sorts of information, so it should not be a surprise that corporations, individuals, good guys, bad guys, and governments are collecting the freely available information they put on social media sites,” Clement said.

It would seem from the last comment that they do not care about the rules, as usual!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hopefully they aren't getting around the privacy settings - but they probably are.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
That explain alot. For the most part people are as boring as f*, so whom ever is watching must be bored to tears...and or sleeping.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

THIS JUST IN INFORMATION GLEANED FROM FACEBOOK COULD RESULT IN MORE MORE CONSERVATIVE DINNER PIC POSTING. READ MORE IN YOUR WEEKEND STAR.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Next, the government will explain the ratio between political dissidence and income tax audits :)

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
It's odd how people that are conservative on this site will do anything not to realize the depth of depravity our government will go to .
In this case in order to feed their spin doctoring ways.

Nothing is sacred ,your privacy is but a whimzy for the thirst they have for your personal moments.

It's marketing 101 and every bite is optimum for these bastards.

Of course the reality is , these members think they are conservatives when in fact they are just supporting a logo nowadays.

How much do they think for themselves, and notice the depth they bring to their brand.

ROFLMAO, you can't buy this sort of entertainment.

Look around and see them defend Rob Ford whilst trying to distance themselves from him.

It had me in stitches today .

They know and feel the pain from the likes of Hudak, lol Hudak!!!! but they will vote for him because they are free thinking...
Anyone voting for Hudak has to lie to themselves beyond anything a Liberal has to do to support Justin.
There is no comparison , Justin gaffes are nothing compared to the tyranny of Harper , or the moronic campaigning of Hudak

ROFLMAO!!!!!

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
The Power of 'Like'.

Or 'Like' contagion, if you prefer; when your statement gets 'like'd by millions, the media and politics must surely take notice!

You know, when something goes viral on the internet the true numbers can be deceiving. Take the Walk Off The Earth's viral rendition of Goteye's Somebody that I used to know a couple years back where you recall it got shared around a lot due to it's very creative and entertaining concept of all five band members playing on one guitar simultaneously. It was so hot it got about a million hits per week for the first month or so. Even now it's approaching 160 million hits (and I just hit it again). Somebody That I Used to Know - Walk off the Earth (Gotye - Cover) - YouTube

And while something gone 'viral' most certainly indicates a great interest, it is a guessing game to determine just how much interest there is in terms of sheer numbers of people showing it with a click - because after all a million hits on any web page is not a guarantee that a million people have just viewed the page. When it's something like a music video that people like they'll click that sucker over and over again so that a million 'views' does not a million rock fans make. It's likely way closer to 50,000 people watching it 20 times each on average.

But the facebook 'like' can be a political tool that we as a society really ought to get creative in learning how to harness. It is a de facto plebiscite in the making which takes no government involvement to spawn. And yet no government would last the fallout if it did not take heed of what the people 'like'. Since a person can only 'like' something once, 10 million 'like's represents 10 million votes and the government and political parties had better sit up and take notice lest they find themselves at the end of the bread line.

So if someone makes a facebook statement such as, oh, I don't know... it could be anything, a change you aspire to see... but I like this one because it's mine: "I pledge my vote, for life, to the political party that legalizes marijuana." Now if that sentiment get a few million 'like's in a few weeks there's no goddam way in hell that the media isn't going to make the politicians aware that there is a movement afoot. Like I say, they had better act accordingly or find themselves playing second fiddle.

What I really like about this idea is the democratic guarantee that our votes are secret and they can never know if you're keeping up your end of the bargain. Ain't it grand? Politicians lie all the time to get elected. How cool is the notion that we can lie in a 'like' to have laws changed and then turf the bums anyway? uh-huh - poetic justice!

THE POLITICAL POWER OF 'LIKE'

It's, like, in your hands, people!

Last edited: