Rob Ford isn’t taking rehab seriously

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Who knew battling the demons of addiction could be so easy? “Rehab is amazing” – a lot like football camp, according to Mayor Rob Ford.

Between therapy sessions at an undisclosed location, Toronto’s disgraced chief executive has been working the phones, talking to his brother Councillor Doug Ford, to constituents, and into the sympathetic ear of Toronto Sun reporter Joe Warmington.

It’s courtesy of Warmington that we have Ford’s assessment of life in rehab (“I feel great”), and his plans for the future (“I am coming back and I am going to kick butt”).

That may or may not happen, but this much is certain: successfully beating a deep-seated drug and alcohol problem is no romp at summer camp. And Ford’s practice of making calls from rehab doesn’t send an encouraging signal about his dedication to reform.

There is even concern in some quarters that there’s no solid proof the mayor actually is in rehab. Neither his brother nor Ford’s lawyer will say where he is staying. And there have been some alleged Rob Ford sightings around Toronto.

Frankly, despite this administration’s long record of misrepresentation and outright falsehood, it’s scarcely conceivable that the Fords are lying about the mayor being in treatment. If so, it would be their most damning fabrication to date.

The real concern isn’t that Ford is skipping rehab, but that he’s wasting his time there. The mayor’s breezy perspective on therapy is reminiscent of his attitude last year when he insisted he wasn’t an addict, didn’t have a drug problem, and that what he really needed to do was lose some weight. We all know how that turned out.

Wherever Ford is, instead of taking calls and dwelling on city business he should focus laser-like on getting better. Anything else just sets him up to fail.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Nice to see someone from Quebec posting on here.

That province doesn't get enough love on these forums.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
He is taking the proper approachto rehab. It must not be viewed as punishment. Ford loves football so to equate rehab to boot camp will make it much easier for him.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
He's only doing crack to stop the weekend heroin addiction from getting into his workplace. Have his med staff tranq him once every 4 hrs whether he needs it or not and watch how focused he becomes at the business meetings. That his new plans actually are quite brilliant will get him assassinated within a week. You guys forget how soaps go?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
He is taking the proper approachto rehab. It must not be viewed as punishment. Ford loves football so to equate rehab to boot camp will make it much easier for him.
What are you suggesting, they make him run and catch each dime-bag? The sniper with a tranq-gun sounds like more fun for him and the nurse.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
taxslave

Stop making excuses for this guy.

He clearly doesn't give two ****s about rehab.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

really...

I'm no authority and have no real experience (other than volunteering and visiting at the North Bay Treatment Centre) with policy but I'd figure they'd insist on no outside contact while in treatment. At least the first week or so anyway.

How Rob got to speak with the Sun's Warmington is a mystery to me.

Sounds like the easier-softer way/happy-go-lucky/kids gloves treatment joint to me.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/124632-where-rob-2.html

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It still has to be on the resume before you get the 'cure' in prescription form on the new Blue Cross addition for anyone in any office that has 'cracked' (literally) on the job just because the pressure is too great. It doesn't matter that the rest of the country is doing that same drug for recreation.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How else is the staff supposed to know if they have his meds right if they can't observe him in his own environment?

It isn't like you can say 'try out this new shipment' and not expect some questions when he uses the business meetings as his gym time. People are going to notice things like that, sooner or later. Hairy down at the corner where old Fred's barn used to be is not known for consistence in quality if you know what I mean.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
His staffers previously talked about how he would do monster leg workouts. 800 lb leg presses. Maybe he's at the gym. Might be cardio day.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
His staffers previously talked about how he would do monster leg workouts. 800 lb leg presses. Maybe he's at the gym. Might be cardio day.
His body weight plus 200lb after a big pipe, not a real special score. How can you be 'overweight' and be an 'addict'?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We should start his obituary thread. He's headed for heart attack and probably won't be alive much longer.