Ontario Election 2014 - The Official Thread

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Post thoughts about the upcoming election here.

What do you think of the outcome of the Liberal budget?

Did the NDP make the right move?

Where do we go from here?

Who should win and why?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Who should win and why?

I never quite get why a party in the NDP's position would do this. I really can't see them gaining any more power than they have right now.

Either they end up with a PC government that isn't going to be very friendly to them at all, or they end up with a new mandate for the Liberals who can now push them around a lot more with said new mandate.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A reputable link.
ThreeHundredEight.com

ThreeHundredEight.com: Ontario NDP drops in EKOS poll

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't think a Provincial election called in a municipal election year is a good thing for voters. Burn-out affects turn-out. Now, more than ever, people should be involved in the decision-making process.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I never quite get why a party in the NDP's position would do this. I really can't see them gaining any more power than they have right now.

Either they end up with a PC government that isn't going to be very friendly to them at all, or they end up with a new mandate for the Liberals who can now push them around a lot more with said new mandate.

Yup.

I think someone paid the piper.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Right, more debt was the way to go. Note that NDP support was dropping. No one paid squat.
Ontario was well on the way to a 3rd world debt level.

The PCs won't be able to change it all that much. The deficit will fall, but it will fall under the Liberals or the NDP too as the economy continues to grow.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I don't think a Provincial election called in a municipal election year is a good thing for voters. Burn-out affects turn-out. Now, more than ever, people should be involved in the decision-making process.

At least the provincial elections are quick. The mayoral election is still 6 months away and it has already been going on for months.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Insanity. An attempt to buy the short-sighted electorate with their own money, leaving them a rapidly-swelling debt. Absolutely irresponsible.

Who should win and why?

Yes, they did the right thing.

The Conservatives SHOULD win, but I think all parties are in play.....it is a horse race.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Regardless, I don't like that we have a Provincial election coming in a municipal election year. Sorry to have distracted you....

Meh, all I am saying is that I like the format for provincial and federal elections better. A month is more than enough time to be bombarded with this stuff.

I don't know how you would change it with a fixed election date though. Maybe once they declare in January, we lock them all in some secure facility with no communication with the outside world until September, and if any of their staff even mention their name publicly they are disqualified. Seems reasonable to me.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'm inclined to believe if they're going in with No on the mind, they should be out the door. Discussion and reasonable compromise works a lot better than sticking to party lines. Don't they read their own anti-bully anti-gang rules?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

What do you think of the outcome of the Liberal budget? There was a budget? I thought this was bribery.

Yes, finally!

Where do we go from here? I'm going to get a beer. I'll be right back.

Who should win and why? Anybody but Wynne. Actually, the best way to keep the hand wringers happy would be a Conservative Minority. But sweet bugger ll would get done.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
People who want to be will be.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Insanity. An attempt to buy the short-sighted electorate with their own money, leaving them a rapidly-swelling debt. Absolutely irresponsible.

I believe it was put forth with no intent of coming into law. It was a political game from the start. Wyn has put her sights squarley on the NDP and this appears to be her strategy -- kill the NDP, hopefully grab all the left wing support, and fandangle herself a majority. The sad part is it just might work. As you say, there are people who like being bribed with their own money.

Yes, they did the right thing.

I don't think either choice was the right choice for them. But it was clearly not about a choice. Wyn made no attempt to work or try to work with the other parties. Wyn wanted an election and created one.

The Conservatives SHOULD win, but I think all parties are in play.....it is a horse race.

Hudak turned a sure victory into a defeat last election. I am not holding my breath he has what it takes to win this one.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
It's all going to come out pretty much the same, a Liberal minority.

I will bet any wager Hudak will cry out that if does not get a majority the other two will make a coalation government. which did not happen this time and will never happen, but morons will fear this for reasons they don't quite know why and vote conservative....

hahahahahaha

it worked for harper

I believe it was put forth with no intent of coming into law. It was a political game from the start. Wyn has put her sights squarley on the NDP and this appears to be her strategy -- kill the NDP, hopefully grab all the left wing support, and fandangle herself a majority. The sad part is it just might work. As you say, there are people who like being bribed with their own money.

I don't think either choice was the right choice for them. But it was clearly not about a choice. Wyn made no attempt to work or try to work with the other parties. Wyn wanted an election and created one.

Hudak turned a sure victory into a defeat last election. I am not holding my breath he has what it takes to win this one.

wish i could multiple rep you on this .
You really have a handle on provincial politics.

so far anyway, I'll watch this guy.

I would like to see them win as well. If for nothing else than some old school fiscal spending.

I think it's time eh.

Unfortunately I don't see a horse race at all. The Liberals will get another minority, Hudak will lose his job , John Tory will wish he held out from running for mayor and think he might have another crack at the leasdership . lol... just kidding.

Horvath has a horrible personality . She has a horrid haircut and nervous skin. lol....
When it comes to the NDP I go for the lowest common denominator in critiquing ...lol