Justin Trudeau’s Liberals closing in fast on Conservatives’ fundraising status

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Justin Trudeau’s Liberals closing in fast on Conservatives’ champion fundraising status

OTTAWA — Stephen Harper’s Conservative party is hanging on to the title of champion federal fundraiser but Justin Trudeau’s Liberals are closing in fast.

Fundraising reports for the first quarter of 2014, filed with Elections Canada, show the Liberals are the party with the most money momentum.

The governing Tories raked in the most: $4.5-million, up only marginally over the same quarter last year.

The Liberals raised $3.7-million, more than double the party’s $1.7-million take during the same period a year ago.

The NDP also upped its game, raising just over $2.5-million in the first three months of 2014, up from $1.6 million in the first quarter last year.

The Liberals also show the most momentum in terms of the number of Canadians willing to donate to the party, with 34,945 contributors, compared to 31,765 for the Conservatives and 21,748 for the NDP.

For the Liberals, the number of donors is up more than 12,000 from the same period last year; the NDP is up about 3,000 while the Conservatives actually lost about 7,000 donors.

As the parties gear up for an election expected next year, the figures offer a revealing glimpse into how they are competing for the cash that will help fund their political operations.

Conservative party

Total amount of contributions: $4.5 million (Jan. 1 to March 31)

Total number of contributors: 31,765

Liberal party

Total amount of contributions: $3.7 million

Total number of contributors: 34,945

New Democratic Party

Total amount of contributions: $2.5 million

Total number of contributors: 21,748

Green party

Total amount of contributions: $480,673

Total number of contributors: 7,802

Bloc Québécois

Total amount of contributions: $65,555

Total number of contributors: 716

Quick facts:

• The number of Liberal donors is up more than 12,000 over the same period last year; the NDP is up about 3,000; while the Conservatives actually lost about 7,000 donors.

Justin Trudeau’s Liberals closing in fast on Conservatives’ champion fundraising status

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The best part about this new zeal for fundraising is seeing 15 emails from Justin asking fro money in my inbox every morning. Best way to start the day.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You understand, of course, that Justin Trudeau is an idiot, a spoiled man-child, a deceitful elitist with a troubling affection for tyrants, and that his election would be an absolute disaster for Canada.........

Time for me to send a cheque to the CPC.

The best part about this new zeal for fundraising is seeing 15 emails from Justin asking fro money in my inbox every morning. Best way to start the day.

Sarcasm should be in purple. :)

Fundraising puts me off big time, the CPC is bad for it as well.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
This focus on fundraising really compromises our democracy.

The more these parties act like corporations, the more they dominate the airwaves with ****ty advertising to manipulate for votes.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This focus on fundraising really compromises our democracy.

The more these parties act like corporations, the more they dominate the airwaves with ****ty advertising to manipulate for votes.

And who do we have to blame for this renewed focus on fundraising, on the part of all political parties? Why, Her Majesty's Government under the Conservative Party, of course. Largely thought to be the most democratic way to finance the activities of political parties, any party that receives 2% or more of the total vote (or 5% of the vote in a specific electoral district) used to be entitled to a $2.04 per-vote subsidy.

In 2011, once it held a majority, the Government passed the Keeping Canada's Economy and Jobs Growing Act. This Act, among other things, ordered that the per-vote subsidy be reduced by $0.51 per year, until its elimination altogether with the 2015-2016 fiscal year. Unfortunately, this means that private fundraising is now the driving force behind our parliamentary democracy (and that each of our federal political parties needs to focus more on getting those cheques signed, than they do developing sound public policy).

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

OTTAWA — Stephen Harper’s Conservative party is hanging on to the title of champion federal fundraiser but Justin Trudeau’s Liberals are closing in fast.

Fundraising reports for the first quarter of 2014, filed with Elections Canada, show the Liberals are the party with the most money momentum.

The governing Tories raked in the most: $4.5-million, up only marginally over the same quarter last year.

The Liberals raised $3.7-million, more than double the party’s $1.7-million take during the same period a year ago.

The NDP also upped its game, raising just over $2.5-million in the first three months of 2014, up from $1.6 million in the first quarter last year.

The Liberals also show the most momentum in terms of the number of Canadians willing to donate to the party, with 34,945 contributors, compared to 31,765 for the Conservatives and 21,748 for the NDP.

For the Liberals, the number of donors is up more than 12,000 from the same period last year; the NDP is up about 3,000 while the Conservatives actually lost about 7,000 donors.

As the parties gear up for an election expected next year, the figures offer a revealing glimpse into how they are competing for the cash that will help fund their political operations.

Conservative party

Total amount of contributions: $4.5 million (Jan. 1 to March 31)

Total number of contributors: 31,765

Liberal party

Total amount of contributions: $3.7 million

Total number of contributors: 34,945

New Democratic Party

Total amount of contributions: $2.5 million

Total number of contributors: 21,748

Green party

Total amount of contributions: $480,673

Total number of contributors: 7,802

Bloc Québécois

Total amount of contributions: $65,555

Total number of contributors: 716

Quick facts:

• The number of Liberal donors is up more than 12,000 over the same period last year; the NDP is up about 3,000; while the Conservatives actually lost about 7,000 donors.

Good maybe they can repay some of the money they stole from the people of Canada .

And who do we have to blame for this renewed focus on fundraising, on the part of all political parties? Why, Her Majesty's Government under the Conservative Party, of course. Largely thought to be the most democratic way to finance the activities of political parties, any party that receives 2% or more of the total vote (or 5% of the vote in a specific electoral district) used to be entitled to a $2.04 per-vote subsidy.

In 2011, once it held a majority, the Government passed the Keeping Canada's Economy and Jobs Growing Act. This Act, among other things, ordered that the per-vote subsidy be reduced by $0.51 per year, until its elimination altogether with the 2015-2016 fiscal year. Unfortunately, this means that private fundraising is now the driving force behind our parliamentary democracy (and that each of our federal political parties needs to focus more on getting those cheques signed, than they do developing sound public policy).
Much better than the Liberal government funding their re-election through your tax dollar .

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Good maybe they can repay some of the money they stole from the people of Canada .

Much better than the Liberal government funding their re-election through your tax dollar .

I imagine, then, that you are a staunch opponent of the Fair Elections Act, given your opposition to political parties legislating themselves an apparent advantage. With the Conservatives’ efforts to create Conservative-appointed central poll supervisors, to exempt Conservative election fundraising from election campaign limits, and to disenfranchise student, Aboriginal, and other minority voters (not exactly the Conservative base), seems a much more distinct partisan advantage than the Liberals had ever contemplated.

(Oh, and the Conservatives have received more in taxpayers’ subsidies and Government money than the Liberals for the past eight years.)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Much as I dislike the reality of fundraising, I prefer to spend my money on the party that I support, rather than have my money ripped from me by the gov't and distributed to those I despise.................

And therein lies the difference between conservative and progressive. I believe I have the right to spend the money I earn as I see fit, the progressive believes I should not be permitted top do so......

Time to heave Steve.

Steve is FAR from perfect........and head and shoulders above either alternative.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Steve is FAR from perfect........and head and shoulders above either alternative.

I don't really mind him that much but he's bad for business for my industry. Besides, it's a good idea to turf them, regardless of party, after a few years. That's when the entitlement starts to root big-time.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Much as I dislike the reality of fundraising, I prefer to spend my money on the party that I support, rather than have my money ripped from me by the gov't and distributed to those I despise.................

And therein lies the difference between conservative and progressive. I believe I have the right to spend the money I earn as I see fit, the progressive believes I should not be permitted top do so......
So then we seem to be on the same page!

When you vote for a candidate running under the Conservatives’ banner, the party receives $1.02 (at present). If I were to vote for a Liberal candidate, the Liberals would receive $1.02. The per-vote subsidy, introduced by the Liberals in 2004, accomplished exactly that — and, in fact, enabled folks who would have otherwise been unable to donate monetarily to a political party, for whatever reason, to make a financial contribution. The Conservatives’ elimination of the subsidy has turned fundraising back into a game dominated by the “old boys’ club.”

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Much as I dislike the reality of fundraising, I prefer to spend my money on the party that I support, rather than have my money ripped from me by the gov't and distributed to those I despise..................

No one touches my money.

No one.

In fact no one should be giving me money because I am a conservative an I don't need nobody for nothin.

B*tch.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Justin will not be Prime Minister in the next election. It's that simple Dorothy, you can clack those Ruby Red slippers together all day long.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You understand, of course, that Justin Trudeau is an idiot, a spoiled man-child, a deceitful elitist with a troubling affection for tyrants, and that his election would be an absolute disaster for Canada.........

Sounds like he'd make a heck of a President.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Trudeau has now declared the Liberals pro-abortion.. and that all pro-life candidates need not apply their nomination papers for the 2015 Election as he will not sign them. This overturns a long standing policy on the part of the Liberal Party to leave matters of conscience, such as abortion, outside the party's platform and beyond that of parliamentary discipline.

He seems to have done deliberately to thumb his nose at Pro Life March that will be on Parliament Hill today which has steadily grown in confidence and popular appeal and will draw some 25,000 demonstrators.

It also backs up my view that Justin Trudeau is a weak and indecisive wimp, without any sense of political instinct inherited from his father. In fact he is true chip off the old blockhead of Margaret Trudeau.

Without instinct and certainly without a comprehensive vision for the country he resorts to polls for his policies, appealing to the most superficial and apparent of convictions.. which will invariably put himself on the wrong side of history. He's driven solely by ambition and wants to 'be' something rather than 'do' something.

It also speaks to the disastrous state of the Party system in Canada which has centralized all power in the hands of the Leader's office (Harper is a prime example) and completely disempowered the grass roots.

Trudeau will self destruct.. because that what fools do to themselves. But it might spell the end of the Liberal Party as anything but small token party.. as it has become in Britain.

Last edited: