Ontario Liberals plan to hike taxes on high incomes, tobacco and aviation fuel

mentalfloss
Ontario Liberals plan to hike taxes on high incomes, tobacco and aviation fuel: document

TORONTO — The Ontario budget will increase taxes on high income earners, tobacco and aviation fuel, according to a document obtained from a source outside the Liberal government.

What is said to be a 2014 budget overview prepared for the Liberal cabinet and provided to The Canadian Press on condition that the source remain anonymous says the government will increase personal income taxes on “higher-income earners.”

The document does not specifically define that income level or say how big a tax increase is planned for upper income earners. But a Toronto Star report Tuesday quotes sources as saying the new tax will be levied only on income earned above $150,000.

Premier Kathleen Wynne had already ruled out hiking taxes on the middle class to pay for transit and infrastructure, and rejected recommendations to increase the tax on gasoline or boost the HST.

The purported cabinet document also says the Liberals will phase in a four-cent-per-litre tax hike on aviation fuel over four years, restrict tax credits for large corporations and stop construction companies from claiming the fuel tax exemption.

Finance Minister Charles Sousa’s spokesman Andrew Chornenky would not confirm or deny the authenticity of the document. He and the premier’s spokeswoman, Zita Astravas, also would not confirm or deny the reported tax hikes.

The document says the increases are part of efforts to raise $29 billion over 10 years for public transit and infrastructure projects

Astravas would only say Sousa will be presenting a “bold plan” on Thursday that will “help create jobs, build transit and infrastructure and provide Ontarians with the retirement security that they deserve.”

The document says the Liberals will also dedicate revenues from new high-occupancy toll lanes to transit projects, something the New Democrats call “Lexus lanes” and say they will not support.

It also indicates the Liberals planned to dedicate 7.5 cents of the existing provincial tax on gasoline and diesel fuel to transit, issue so-called green bonds to raise cash for projects and is also prepared to borrow money when needed.

Critics point out that dedicating gas tax revenues to transit and infrastructure will leave a big hole elsewhere in the budget, when the government is already facing an $11.3 billion deficit.

But the document says the Liberals hope to raise enough money to replace 5.5 cents of the 7.5 cents per litre through new revenue tools in the budget, including “personal income tax measures, tobacco tax measures and revenue integrity measures.”

Sousa recently talked about bringing private investors into Ontario Power Generation, Hydro One and the LCBO to get a better return for taxpayers, and the leaked document shows the Liberals will rely on “certain asset sales,” but offers no specifics.

It also says the government will set up two dedicated funds for infrastructure, with $15 billion for the heavily-congested Toronto-Hamilton corridor and $13.9 billion for the rest of Ontario.

The Progressive Conservatives have already made it clear they want an election as soon as possible and will vote against Thursday’s budget.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said Tuesday she will read the budget carefully before deciding if her party can support the Liberals for the third consecutive budget or if they will team with the Tories to defeat the minority government and trigger a June election.

There have been other leaks of budget documents. Earlier this month, the Progressive Conservatives released documents they obtained that detailed a month-long rollout of pre-budget announcements.

Although the Liberals refused to confirm details, many of the announcements were made according to the schedule outlined in the leaked documents.

Ontario Liberals plan to hike taxes on high incomes, tobacco and aviation fuel: document

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
B00Mer
Republican
+1
Liberals Spend Other People’s Money and Call it ‘Caring’

-------------------------------------------------------

15 Lies of Liberalism

Liberalism offers up a utopian vision of the world and then invites its practitioners to feel good about themselves for embracing it. Not only does this beautiful fantasy world never come to pass, liberalism fails to address the root causes of the problems it sets out to solve while creating whole new disasters in the process. In other words, it's a never ending circle. There's a problem, liberalism is offered up as the solution, it doesn't work and creates more problems, for which liberalism is offered up as the solution, etc., etc., etc. until you're starving, bankrupt, or your society is tearing itself apart at the seams.

Liberalism says that....

1) ...it's all about choice -- unless you want to choose which gun or lightbulb to use, which school your child will attend, or you’d prefer more freedom and smaller government.

2) ...it cares about the environment, when in practice, not only do liberals like Al Gore live some of the most resource-wasting and ostentatious lifestyles on the planet, but they hurt the environment by blocking environmentally friendly energy production here in favor of energy sources from nations that care little about pollution.

3) ...you can have lots of free government services and somebody else will pay for them. The trillion dollar deficit we're running every year that will have to be paid back says otherwise.

4) ...as long as you use birth control that someone else is forced to pay for, there are no consequences whatsoever to having lots and lots of sex. Meanwhile, more than 50 million children have been killed by their own mothers via abortion and 1 out of every 4 adults in New York City has herpes.

5) .... "government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn." Do you know anyone with crabgrass on his lawn? DO YOU?

6) ...it's all about compassion and taking care of the less fortunate, unless liberals have their own money on the line, in which case they give less to charity than those stingy, greedy, heartless conservatives.

7) ...you shouldn't take your Christian faith seriously, that political correctness matters more than the Bible, and that mocking God has no consequences. Ever heard someone say, “Don't pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel?” Well, if liberals were smarter, they wouldn't be picking a fight with an omnipotent God who buys lightning bolts by the barrel and has a well earned reputation for getting fed up every once in awhile and dishing out "Old Testament style wrath" on His enemies.

8 ) ...how much our country spends can be dictated by our wants, as opposed to what we can afford. Of course, if the world really works this way, Greece would be fine, nobody would have ever heard of the word "bankruptcy," and the banks wouldn't even bother to write down your name when you borrow money from them.

9 ) ...liberals want unity and bipartisanship, which they apparently believe they can accomplish by spewing pure hatred and smearing, demonizing, threatening, and lying about anyone who disagrees with them.

10) ...it’s going to deliver equality of outcomes for everyone, which is true, if by "delivering equality of outcomes" you mean "make everyone poorer."

11) ...it cares about women -- unless they're conservative women, in which case liberals will insult them in the vilest of terms, attack their children, call them *****s and laugh and hoot at the most grotesque sexist attacks against them. Every last insult ever hurled at someone like Sandra Fluke probably wouldn't amount to what women like Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Michelle Malkin, and Ann Coulter put up with on any given week with the full support of the same liberals who run off at the mouth about a "war on women."

12) ....it'll help the poor -- and it does. Liberalism helps poor Americans live in ghettos with just enough food and money to survive so they can stay dependent on liberals. It's the same sort of help a farmer gives a chicken while he harvests its eggs and waits for the right time to wring its neck and toss it in the frying pan.

13) ...liberals are the only people who care about black Americans and want to help, which doesn't seem to square with the fact that just about anywhere and everywhere liberals have been in charge for decades, like Detroit or New Orleans, most black Americans are in dire straits.

14) ...small business owners were able to build their businesses because they were lucky. But of course, if that's true, why do we have such a high unemployment rate? Why doesn't everyone who loses his job just set up his business and grab that easy money? Since bankers don't deserve the big salaries they make, why doesn't the Occupy movement set up its own bank and show the "banksters" how it's done?

15) ...you can fix crime by taking away guns, but by definition, the people who will voluntarily give up guns are law abiding citizens who have no intention of committing a crime in the first place. Besides, if that can work, why doesn't Barack Obama set the example by asking his Secret Service agents to disarm?

source: 15 Lies of Liberalism - John Hawkins - Page full (external - login to view)

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+8
#3  Top Rated Post
I must have missed the headline when Barrack Obama joined the Liberal party of Ontario. When did this occur?

mentalfloss
According to Oakley, giving the NDP what they want is a brilliant move by the Liberals that puts the NDP in a corner.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

According to Oakley, giving the NDP what they want is a brilliant move by the Liberals that puts the NDP in a corner.

Nonsense. It allows the NDP to support the budget and go into the campain saying that the Lieberals have increased taxes. The NDP supported it to save money of an early election. Thats how I would play it if I was them.

Walter
It's called Dykenomics.

mentalfloss
+1
Wuh oh spaghettios

580 CFRA News Talk Radio :: Provincial budget in the hands of the New Democrats :: News - Article (external - login to view)

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I must have missed the headline when Barrack Obama joined the Liberal party of Ontario. When did this occur?

You'll have to forgive Boomer, he just knows the one song.

Nuggler
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

And sometimes confuses the words to it.

Count_Lothian
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Nonsense. It allows the NDP to support the budget and go into the campain saying that the Lieberals have increased taxes. The NDP supported it to save money of an early election. Thats how I would play it if I was them.

Are you comfortable in knowing that it's all a game with these people?
It seems by your post that you do know .

Trex
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I suspect you are correct.
My guess is that the Dip's will probably support the budget.

And even if the Dippers bring down the Government and force an election I would assume a large
percentage of NDP supporters would vote for Wynne and to block Hudack.
Thus a fresh Liberal minority.

Lots more debt and job losses for Ontario before this mess is all over.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

Are you comfortable in knowing that it's all a game with these people?
It seems by your post that you do know .

It is a game with our money. It was a game when they cancelled gas plants at our expense to help their re-election prospects in a couple of Lieberal ridings.

It's just one more reason not to vote the lying scumbags back into another term of office. Time for a new set of scumbags.

mentalfloss
Kathleen Wynne warns Liberal MPPs to brace for an election

B00Mer
Republican

When Canadians started to have an opinion on US politics as if they had a vote... and most Canadian Liberals would drool at the chance to have Obama as PM of Canada.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

That's right, that's right..

America The Beautiful- Frank Sinatra - YouTube

Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

And sometimes confuses the words to it.

STFU Knot Head

lone wolf
Free Thinker
I think she's banking on Ring of Fire funding to carry her budget through

IdRatherBeSkiing
Mandatory pensions???? WTF? I don't have extra money to set aside for a program designed to save the government money later.

Frucking Commie government.

lone wolf
Free Thinker

I guess when one is in love, the obsession is all that matters

SLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

When Canadians started to have an opinion on US politics as if they had a vote... and most Canadian Liberals would drool at the chance to have Obama as PM of Canada.

So? What does having an opinion have to do with responding to an OP about a provincial government in Canada with more US politics crap. We have enough Canadian politics crap, the least you can do is keep them separate.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I think she's banking on Ring of Fire funding to carry her budget through

Am I mistaken or is the ball not close to being dropped on that one too?

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Mandatory pensions???? WTF? I don't have extra money to set aside for a program designed to save the government money later.

That's going to be a catastrophe. I'm calling it now.

lone wolf
Free Thinker

Am I mistaken or is the ball not close to being dropped on that one too?

Wynne wants equal investment from the federal government - but Ontario's billion hinges on her re-election (a double whammy in double talk) She doesn't seem to realize that whomever gets the reins is going to have to fund infrastructure before anything happens. I think it's been a stalling tactic and FN agreement (or lack thereof) is being blamed. Look who had to negotiate with the Chiefs

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Wynne wants equal investment from the federal government - but Ontario's billion hinges on her re-election (a double whammy in double talk) She doesn't seem to realize that whomever gets the reins is going to have to fund infrastructure before anything happens. I think it's been a stalling tactic and FN agreement (or lack thereof) is being blamed. Look who had to negotiate with the Chiefs

So it's more or less all b.s., which is kind of what I thought.

Time for them to go. I'm not saying there's anyone in this horse race I can really get behind, nobodies revving my engine that's for sure. But this installation of Liberal government is tainted, they can't come back even with McGuinty's departure. Because nobody buys that it's a new regime. Which is the same thing nearly everyone saw when the Tories were last up at bat and why they got turfed in the end.

The parties cycle, it's the way of Canadian politics. And this cycle has ended.

B00Mer
Republican

So? What does having an opinion have to do with responding to an OP about a provincial government in Canada with more US politics crap. We have enough Canadian politics crap, the least you can do is keep them separate.

This part was in reply to the post..

----------------------------------------------

The rest was just fun.. which the Liberals took offense too and attacked... gee go figure

SLM
No Party Affiliation

This part was in reply to the post..

----------------------------------------------

The rest was just fun.. which the Liberals took offense too and attacked... gee go figure

I'm not a Liberal and I didn't take offense. I'm just sick and tired of the "leftard" "neocon" bull.

It's no wonder we never get anywhere, either in politics or discussions.

Retired_Can_Soldier
I've said it before. If people in Ontario vote this corrupt government back in they get exactly what they deserve. Just what people need is the Nanny State saving their money for them.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Which corrupt gang do you suggest have a turn at ripping us off then?

B00Mer
Republican
+1

NDP... but you may need a jar of...

..after they are done with you.

You guys just don't get it.. the more left leaning the political group, the more taxes they will have you pay.

Now look at Alberta.. FREE Health Care, NO PST.. and they had really bad times, when Pierre Trudeau was in power and still never turned onto the people..

So you keep electing your left leaning political parties, wealth distribution parties and keep hating on Alberta and Conservatives..

P.S. Vote Conservative..

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2

At this point even the NDP looks better than the Wynne Government nd that is saying alot.

petros
Good thing rich people can't smoke on airplanes or things might get out of hand.

lone wolf
Free Thinker

NDP... but you may need a jar of...

..after they are done with you.

You guys just don't get it.. the more left leaning the political group, the more taxes they will have you pay.

Now look at Alberta.. FREE Health Care, NO PST.. and they had really bad times, when Pierre Trudeau was in power and still never turned onto the people..

So you keep electing your left leaning political parties, wealth distribution parties and keep hating on Alberta and Conservatives..

P.S. Vote Conservative..

You don't get it. Conservatives killed Ontario Hydro and the competitive advantage it gave industry. Liberal gave us more of the same. Right choice doesn't necessarily mean correct choice. Stick with your Kentucky jelly

Retired_Can_Soldier

You do't get it. Conservatives killed Ontario Hydro and the competitive advantage industry had in Ontario. Right choice doesn't necessarily mean correct choice. Stick with your Kentucky jelly

I can't agree with you there. I was never a fan of them selling off a bunch of stuff, but after the Peterson and Ray government Ontario bounced back under Harris. I was here, there were lots of good paying jobs.

Nuggler

That's right, that's right..

America The Beautiful- Frank Sinatra - YouTube

STFU Knot Head

you mad??