BREAKING: Ford raising taxes to pay for subway

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Rob Ford promises to raise property taxes to pay for more subway lines

Mayor Rob Ford finally told voters how he would pay for more subway lines in Toronto: he would raise property taxes.

Mr. Ford has been campaigning for re-election on a pledge to extend the Sheppard subway, to build a subway under Finch Avenue — both routes that are currently slated to be light rail — and the Downtown Relief Line.

Speaking to reporters at City Hall on Wednesday, he said he would take the “exact same approach” that resulted in the Scarborough subway, which included a mix of property taxes to fund the city’s share, in addition to federal and provincial dollars.

“For the Sheppard line to connect, a quarter of one per cent [property tax hike],” Mr. Ford said. “But that’s just the tip of the ice berg. You need more than a quarter of one per cent obviously. You need the province to get on board, you need the federal government to get on board, which I’m sure they’ll get on board, and you need the 3Ps. We’ve got to get the private sector involved,” he said.

Asked if that means he would tack on another 0.25% tax hike for the other lines, the mayor hedged.

“Let’s take Sheppard first and foremost. That’s been my priority from day one. We hook up Sheppard, connect that. And I’d be looking strongly at Finch, and the DRL. It’s going to be a while. But, it’s very straightforward what I’ve been saying.”

The approved Scarborough subway plan actually relies on a specific property tax hike for the project of 0.5%, ramping up to 1.6% by 2016. The mayor voted in favour of that funding scheme last year, but then opposed it during budget deliberations in January.

Councillor Karen Stintz, who is running for mayor, burst out laughing when she heard of the 0.25% proposition for Sheppard Avenue.

“I don’t think Rob knows how much the subway is going to cost,” she said. “Unless he plans to build the subway over the next one hundred years.” Ms. Stintz supports an LRT on Sheppard

Rob Ford promises to raise property taxes to pay for more subway lines

EDIT: DOUBLE BREAKING -- Ford taking break

Rob Ford taking break to ‘address the substance abuse problem’: Ford lawyer - The Globe and Mail

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Wtf is this??? ROFL.

The recording, covertly taped by a patron of Sullie Gorman’s Monday night, captures the mayor being unruly as he’s ordering booze, complaining about his wife Renata and making lewd comments about mayoral contender Karen Stintz.

“I’d like to f-----g jam her (Stintz), but she doesn’t want ... I can’t talk like this ... I’m so sorry,” Ford says on the recording. “I forgot there’s a woman in the house.”

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Wtf is this ROFL.

The recording, covertly taped by a patron of Sullie Gorman’s Monday night, captures the mayor being unruly as he’s ordering booze, complaining about his wife Renata and making lewd comments about mayoral contender Karen Stintz.

“I’d like to f-----g jam her (Stintz), but she doesn’t want ... I can’t talk like this ... I’m so sorry,” Ford says on the recording. “I forgot there’s a woman in the house.”

So why is he is popular with the voters. is it beacuse of all the lying bshxxters they deal with every day.
And Stintz is a 4 latter word. Will not use it.
She is a fringe candidate.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
He's popular because people will vote for any idiot that promises tax cuts.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
“I’d like to f-----g jam her (Stintz)

does this guy ever stop eating? ;)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So he was caught smoking crack...again....on Saturday.

And there's pics!

That's quite a bit of crow for the usual suspects.

Just an average joe with his average crack.

Lol @ that watermark.

Edit: Walt why don't you grow a pair and post instead of just giving me reds.

It's not my fault you voted for this guy.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He finally sobered up and realized the truth was inevitable. I do give him credit for
admitting he's got serious problems he can't fix himself.
Ford is popular because people believe you can just cut red tape and avoid paying
taxes without consequences and that just ain't so.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
He finally sobered up and realized the truth was inevitable. I do give him credit for
admitting he's got serious problems he can't fix himself.
Ford is popular because people believe you can just cut red tape and avoid paying
taxes without consequences and that just ain't so.

It sounds more like it is the exact opposite, but hopefully that will come in time.

Hopefully he takes this seriously, and doesn't just go do drugs somewhere else for a few months and come back claiming to be ready to take back his job.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Maybe if he gets treated for his crack problem he will realize he is not supposed to raise taxes.............

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
World media 'weigh in' on Toronto's 'scandal mayor'

German media have dubbed him the Skandalbürgermeister; in Sweden, he’s the borgmästarskandaler. Both translate as “scandal mayor,” and on Thursday, many international media were applying that description to Toronto’s Mayor Rob Ford.

New footage, provided by a self-professed drug dealer, shows the mayor smoking a pipe that the dealer alleges to contain crack cocaine, The Globe reported Wednesday. The mayor announced he will take a leave from his mayoral campaign.

The U.S. website Gawker also posted photos from the Ford video on Wednesday, saying a man named Jermaine had contacted them, and that they later spoke with another man who offered to sell them the video for a “six-figure” sum.

The new video wasn't the only Rob Ford news to emerge Wednesday. The Toronto Sun posted an audio recording, which it said was covertly recorded at the Etobicoke restaurant Sullie Gormans, in which the mayor swore and made lewd remarks about mayoral rival Karen Stintz.

The Toronto Star reported on a March 15 party where the mayor drank to excess at Muzik nightclub, was entertained by paid party hostesses and was described by eyewitnesses as doing drugs. Mr. Ford also ran into pop star Justin Bieber, and became enraged when Mr. Bieber asked him jokingly: "Did you bring any crack to smoke?"

Toronto’s ‘scandal mayor’: World media weigh in on Rob Ford - The Globe and Mail