McDonald's Canada CEO calls foreign worker controversy 'bull****'

mentalfloss
+1 / -1

The CEO of McDonald's Canada has branded recent criticism of its use of temporary foreign workers "bull****" in a conference call to franchisees that was given to the CBC.

His remarks from earlier this week came before federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney announced an immediate moratorium on the food services sector’s access to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program late on Thursday, as a result of CBC Go Public's inquiries.

Three McDonald's franchises in Victoria and a pizza restaurant in Weyburn, Sask., are at the centre of program abuse allegations involving Canadian employees alleging foreign workers were given priority work status or more hours.

A federal investigation into McDonald’s use of the temporary foreign worker program was launched recently, after a Go Public story about a Victoria McDonald’s franchise.

Tuesday's conference call was scheduled to address franchisees' concerns that McDonald's Canada had decided to put its temporary foreign worker program on hold, while a third party conducts an audit on its use of the plan.

McDonald's initiated that independent audit in response to the government investigation.

In a recording of the call given to the CBC, McDonald's Canada CEO John Betts discusses recent CBC stories on the company's use of temporary foreign workers and his resulting meeting with federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney.​

"This has been an attack on our brand. This has been an attack on our system. This is an attack on our people. It’s bull**** OK! I used those words when I described my conversation with the minister last week. He gets it."

Betts says he was "incredibly impressed" with the minister, adding, "He really knows his stuff. And I’ll say he knows his stuff from a business person’s perspective."

Responding sarcastically to how his company has been portrayed in the media, Betts said, "The fact of the matter is we are a big bad company, corporate, you know, bad company and these poor maligned employees are who they are."

"Yes, they are disenfranchised. Some of them don’t work for us anymore. But in the scheme of things, it doesn’t matter."

"This story has been brewing for a lot of years. And you know at the end of the day we just happen to be the business that got tapped into it and we weren’t the first. Obviously, RBC was," said Betts, referring to a previous CBC Go Public story.

"The reality is that we have learned internally that we haven’t done a very good job in a lot more places than we thought and that’s just us on the phone talking."

Franchisees fear losing staff
One franchisee in Alberta expressed concern about employees — temporary foreign workers — who won't be able to get their work permits renewed.

"When that happens, every single foreign worker in Alberta is going to leave us. They are scared. The restaurants are going to fall apart. This is how it is on the ground," said the franchisee.

Another franchisee was worried about money he had just paid to Actyl, one of the international recruitment agencies McDonald's pays up to $2,000 for every worker they bring in.

"I paid Actyl Group probably $14,000. So am I out the $14,000 now and the whole nine yards?" asked the franchisee.

The restaurant chain's vice-president of human resources Len Jillard, also taking part in the conference call, is heard replying, "Believe me, we are doing everything we can to get everything back on the rails."

Later on, Betts comments "This is a big one for us and it is critical because of our brand image and because of your need to make profits and our systems need to take care of our people."

'Element of truth'

Betts spends much of the conference call railing against the CBC's coverage of the controversy — but admits there is truth to the stories.

"Here’s the kicker. The kicker is there’s an element of truth in each of these stories," Betts said.

....more...

EagleSmack
What happens to foreign temps who don't get their work permit renewed?

JamesBondo
These workers have it easy compared to apple pickers.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

What happens to foreign temps who don't get their work permit renewed?

Deported if they can find them.

Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

These workers have it easy compared to apple pickers.

Of course, these people are Flips and Indians, apple picking is for Mexicans and Quebecois.

Spade
Free Thinker
+2
Is there a big-mac attack on Canadian workers?

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Is there a big-mac attack on Canadian workers?

Canadian workers have no idea what a suitcase is for and love to whine, bitch and wallow in self pity.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Deported if they can find them.

Man. Just like that huh?

petros
+2
Without a Mexican problem immigration offices can do their jobs.

JamesBondo
+2
I am pretty certain that the workers that look dumb at me and can't get my order correctly are actually Canadian.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+5
So this franchise owner had $14G to pay to a slaver but can't afford to pay minimum wage to Canadians? Wonder how much he was planning to skim off his TFWs? Tax free of course.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

So this franchise owner had $14G to pay to a slaver but can't afford to pay minimum wage to Canadians? Wonder how much he was planning to skim off his TFWs? Tax free of course.

They don't pay minimum. They pay 20-25% better and it's still not good enough for a Canadian.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

They don't pay minimum. They pay 20-25% better and it's still not good enough for a Canadian.

What do they pay TFWs?
Where I work they get union rate just like the rest of us.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

What do they pay TFWs?
Where I work they get union rate just like the rest of us.

The same as anybody else.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+2

Maybe in Fort Mac. Most places they pay close to minimum wage. glassdoor.ca

Canadian workers have no idea what a suitcase is for and love to whine, bitch and wallow in self pity.

There's the door, don't let it hit your *** on the way out.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+5
The bigger issue here is how we treat canadians who will not take the jobs tfws are getting. A complete overhaul of EI And welfare is required. No more free money unless it is to move to where there are jobs. Give them travel costs and a couple of months rent/utilities to get settled. People seem to think that it is ok to keep living of my taxes just because they don't want to move.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Maybe in Fort Mac. Most places they pay close to minimum wage. glassdoor.ca

There's the door, don't let it hit your *** on the way out.

Nope. Not Ft Mac, downtown MooseJaw, Brandon, Lethbridge, Dead Reer, and so forth.

Are you a lazy Canadian who has feels insulted?

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+7
#17  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

The bigger issue here is how we treat canadians who will not take the jobs tfws are getting. A complete overhaul of EI And welfare is required. No more free money unless it is to move to where there are jobs. Give them travel costs and a couple of months rent/utilities to get settled. People seem to think that it is ok to keep living of my taxes just because they don't want to move.

If they are not taking the jobs, you have to raise the salary. That's how the system works. You need to compete to get good workers, not offer minimum wage and crappy benefits and then piss and moan that no one wants to work for you in a competitive market.

petros

If they are not taking the jobs, you have to raise the salary. That's how the system works. You need to compete to get good workers, not offer minimum wage and crappy benefits and then piss and moan that no one wants to work for you in a competitive market.

That is why chains pay better than minimum. You may start at $10.50 but raises are quick to come after probation. Then you get , Medical Benefits, Dental Benefits, Disability Benefits, Group Insurance Benefits, Vision Care Benefits.

http://www.saskjobs.ca/jsp/joborder/...rder_id=558101

Try getting a package like that elsewhere with zero experience.

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Hear, hear!

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3 / -1

Maybe in Fort Mac. Most places they pay close to minimum wage.

Well in Alberta actually and I imagine in parts of Saskatchewan where the economy is booming.

McDonalds use to be an entry level job for students. Walmart is just a horrible employer, making its money on the backs of everyone.

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Well in Alberta actually and I imagine in parts of Saskatchewan where the economy is booming.

McDonalds use to be an entry level job for students. Walmart is just a horrible employer, making its money on the backs of everyone.

Jamesbondo, why did you give me a thumbs down. I don't care, I'm just curious.

Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

I am pretty certain that the workers that look dumb at me and can't get my order correctly are actually Canadian.

Who's the real dumb one? You're eating in McDonalds dude.

Sal
No Party Affiliation

Who's the real dumb one? You're eating in McDonalds dude.

maybe he thinks eating McDonald's is smart

Twila
+5
Does anyone consider McDonald's to be an acceptable meal replacement? Or even an acceptable meal?

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Does anyone consider McDonald's to be an acceptable meal replacement? Or even an acceptable meal?

~no~

between the fat and salt, it's poison...I do like it on occasion though when I want fast garbage food ... I like beef so their sirloin burgers are what I order...

Retired_Can_Soldier
I'd rather eat A&W, but that is also garbage.

petros
If you don't have to wait to eat and it's cheap, expect to get what you pay for.

I'd rather buy a kid a mcdouble for a buck forty than give them a bag of chips for a buck forty but that's just my opinion.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1

I'd rather eat A&W, but that is also garbage.

yeah but they claim to use meat with no drugs added so it's likely better plus you can get sweet potato fries, and ONION rings...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm greasy onion rings...I loves them

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

yeah but they claim to use meat with no drugs added so it's likely better plus you can get sweet potato fries, and ONION rings...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm greasy onion rings...I loves them

No beef producer in Canada uses steroids or hormones. It's illegal.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Not even if they're having hot flashes?

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1

And we all know that nobody ever does anything illegal.

Sal
No Party Affiliation

yeah they do but don't worry, it's all safe

Understanding Hormone Use In Beef

What are hormonal substances?

"Hormonal substances" is a term used to describe hormones given to cattle. Health Canada has approved three natural hormones and three synthetically produced hormones for use in cattle in Canada.
Why are they used in the cattle industry?

Hormones are used so that the animal uses its feed efficiently. The use of hormonal substances results in:
  • Development of more lean meat with less fat deposited in the meat
  • More growth using less feed
  • Reduced cost for the cattle producer and less expensive beef for the consumer
Does hormone use affect the safety of beef?

The safety of hormone use has been reviewed by many experts and agencies, including Health Canada, the World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. All have concluded that hormones can be used safely in beef production.
Research has shown that very high levels of hormones taken for a long time (such as those levels found in oral contraceptive pills or hormone replacement pills) may be a risk factor in some kinds of cancer. However, the levels found in food products, such as beef, are too low to be of risk to human health.

Understanding Hormone Use In Beef

no new posts