McDonald's Canada CEO calls foreign worker controversy 'bull****'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The CEO of McDonald's Canada has branded recent criticism of its use of temporary foreign workers "bull****" in a conference call to franchisees that was given to the CBC.

His remarks from earlier this week came before federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney announced an immediate moratorium on the food services sector’s access to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program late on Thursday, as a result of CBC Go Public's inquiries.

Three McDonald's franchises in Victoria and a pizza restaurant in Weyburn, Sask., are at the centre of program abuse allegations involving Canadian employees alleging foreign workers were given priority work status or more hours.

A federal investigation into McDonald’s use of the temporary foreign worker program was launched recently, after a Go Public story about a Victoria McDonald’s franchise.

Tuesday's conference call was scheduled to address franchisees' concerns that McDonald's Canada had decided to put its temporary foreign worker program on hold, while a third party conducts an audit on its use of the plan.

McDonald's initiated that independent audit in response to the government investigation.

In a recording of the call given to the CBC, McDonald's Canada CEO John Betts discusses recent CBC stories on the company's use of temporary foreign workers and his resulting meeting with federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney.​

"This has been an attack on our brand. This has been an attack on our system. This is an attack on our people. It’s bull**** OK! I used those words when I described my conversation with the minister last week. He gets it."

Betts says he was "incredibly impressed" with the minister, adding, "He really knows his stuff. And I’ll say he knows his stuff from a business person’s perspective."

Responding sarcastically to how his company has been portrayed in the media, Betts said, "The fact of the matter is we are a big bad company, corporate, you know, bad company and these poor maligned employees are who they are."

"Yes, they are disenfranchised. Some of them don’t work for us anymore. But in the scheme of things, it doesn’t matter."

"This story has been brewing for a lot of years. And you know at the end of the day we just happen to be the business that got tapped into it and we weren’t the first. Obviously, RBC was," said Betts, referring to a previous CBC Go Public story.

"The reality is that we have learned internally that we haven’t done a very good job in a lot more places than we thought and that’s just us on the phone talking."

Franchisees fear losing staff
One franchisee in Alberta expressed concern about employees — temporary foreign workers — who won't be able to get their work permits renewed.

"When that happens, every single foreign worker in Alberta is going to leave us. They are scared. The restaurants are going to fall apart. This is how it is on the ground," said the franchisee.

Another franchisee was worried about money he had just paid to Actyl, one of the international recruitment agencies McDonald's pays up to $2,000 for every worker they bring in.

"I paid Actyl Group probably $14,000. So am I out the $14,000 now and the whole nine yards?" asked the franchisee.

The restaurant chain's vice-president of human resources Len Jillard, also taking part in the conference call, is heard replying, "Believe me, we are doing everything we can to get everything back on the rails."

Later on, Betts comments "This is a big one for us and it is critical because of our brand image and because of your need to make profits and our systems need to take care of our people."

'Element of truth'

Betts spends much of the conference call railing against the CBC's coverage of the controversy — but admits there is truth to the stories.

"Here’s the kicker. The kicker is there’s an element of truth in each of these stories," Betts said.

....more...

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I am pretty certain that the workers that look dumb at me and can't get my order correctly are actually Canadian.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So this franchise owner had $14G to pay to a slaver but can't afford to pay minimum wage to Canadians? Wonder how much he was planning to skim off his TFWs? Tax free of course.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So this franchise owner had $14G to pay to a slaver but can't afford to pay minimum wage to Canadians? Wonder how much he was planning to skim off his TFWs? Tax free of course.

They don't pay minimum. They pay 20-25% better and it's still not good enough for a Canadian.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The bigger issue here is how we treat canadians who will not take the jobs tfws are getting. A complete overhaul of EI And welfare is required. No more free money unless it is to move to where there are jobs. Give them travel costs and a couple of months rent/utilities to get settled. People seem to think that it is ok to keep living of my taxes just because they don't want to move.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe in Fort Mac. Most places they pay close to minimum wage. glassdoor.ca

There's the door, don't let it hit your *** on the way out.

Nope. Not Ft Mac, downtown MooseJaw, Brandon, Lethbridge, Dead Reer, and so forth.

Are you a lazy Canadian who has feels insulted?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
The bigger issue here is how we treat canadians who will not take the jobs tfws are getting. A complete overhaul of EI And welfare is required. No more free money unless it is to move to where there are jobs. Give them travel costs and a couple of months rent/utilities to get settled. People seem to think that it is ok to keep living of my taxes just because they don't want to move.

If they are not taking the jobs, you have to raise the salary. That's how the system works. You need to compete to get good workers, not offer minimum wage and crappy benefits and then piss and moan that no one wants to work for you in a competitive market.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If they are not taking the jobs, you have to raise the salary. That's how the system works. You need to compete to get good workers, not offer minimum wage and crappy benefits and then piss and moan that no one wants to work for you in a competitive market.

That is why chains pay better than minimum. You may start at $10.50 but raises are quick to come after probation. Then you get , Medical Benefits, Dental Benefits, Disability Benefits, Group Insurance Benefits, Vision Care Benefits.

http://www.saskjobs.ca/jsp/joborder/detail.jsp?job_order_id=558101

Try getting a package like that elsewhere with zero experience.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Maybe in Fort Mac. Most places they pay close to minimum wage.

Well in Alberta actually and I imagine in parts of Saskatchewan where the economy is booming.

McDonalds use to be an entry level job for students. Walmart is just a horrible employer, making its money on the backs of everyone.

Well in Alberta actually and I imagine in parts of Saskatchewan where the economy is booming.

McDonalds use to be an entry level job for students. Walmart is just a horrible employer, making its money on the backs of everyone.

Jamesbondo, why did you give me a thumbs down. I don't care, I'm just curious.

I am pretty certain that the workers that look dumb at me and can't get my order correctly are actually Canadian.

Who's the real dumb one? You're eating in McDonalds dude. :)