Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Politically Right without a faith in a major religion

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Okay here's the deal: I would like to gauge your political leanings against your religious or lack of belief.

If you are NDP, Green, Liberal please just categorize yourself as Left. If you are Conservative please categorize yourself as right.

I know we have a higher ratio of left wingers, but it would be interesting to see who has what leanings in faith and political standing.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
i am not a hard core person when it comes to political beliefs, i have, over the years, changed, depending
what has been happening politically the previous 4 years, or more.

looks like i have been somewhat the same with religious beliefs, 'was' a roman catholic till about twelve
years of age, then gradually moved away from 'that', sat on the fence for years, didn't care for years,
for about the past 40 years or so, i can call myself an atheist, and i'm comfortable staying there.

didn't vote, i don't fit any catagorie

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Hmmmm....

Agnostic and right in some cases, left in others. I find as I get older I lean farther right but I'm not all they way there yet. I don't fit in any of those categories either.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I didn't vote because I also decide if I'm left or right depending on party performance. As far as faith and religion, I have a lot of faith but none left for the RC church.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I lean left on a lot of issues too, but consider myself right overall.

I should add that my church is pretty left leaning. Its not one of these southern baptist type churches. So just because I am religious, I do not share ideals with my brother-in-law who is die hard southern baptist and republican. I think it may be difficult to categorize people by just 4 choices. But the discussion should be interesting.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I should add that my church is pretty left leaning. Its not one of these southern baptist type churches. So just because I am religious, I do not share ideals with my brother-in-law who is die hard southern baptist and republican. I think it may be difficult to categorize people by just 4 choices. But the discussion should be interesting.

Well I'm keeping the poll simple for one reason, because it will get too confusing if you add a bunch of disclaimers. Ski, I've known you for a number of years and by my estimation you are Right leaning with a faith in a major religion. The point of this is not to see who's Catholic or Muslim, but to look at the CC demographic and gauge where people stand at a very basic level.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Right, although I do diverge from the mantra on occassion.

I was fortunate enough to be brought up in a Father Knows Best family by two devout Baptists.

I am not a church-goer, but I would identify as Christian.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
RC...I'm left with no faith BUT I lean right on lots of issues so I don't want to pigeon hole myself...

And what Ski said applies too...my guy, right winged Baptist but his church he attends is so left leaning he does more community work than I've ever done.

I tell ya, we're Canadian...we are all over the map...left on this, right on that, moderate on this issue...passionately left on another...

this poll proves that just from these votes alone...

we're a wonderful but weird bunch

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If the choice was left/right/center, I'd go with center, but with a left/right choice, I have to say right.

I know that will surprise some folks, but here's the way I see it. You could call me left in the way I perceive the various problems of society: economic issues, military and foreign affairs issues, race issues, educational issues, &c., but I lean right in my proposed solutions to those issues.

Religion. . . meh, you know how I feel about sky daddies.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Left generally, though I go right on some things. They tried to raise me Catholic but I wound up an atheist.

Ive always thought the left/right divide was total BS. This thread sort of shows that. No one considers themselves completely on one side, it varies with the issue. You'd almost think things are more complex than the left/right divide implies.