Teen taken to hospital for detox after party at Harper's house

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

18 yr. old taken to hospital after party at PM's residence

Medical authorities intervened at 24 Sussex Dr. over the weekend after a young party-goer suffered from severe intoxication.

The Ottawa Paramedic Service confirmed that an 18-year-old girl was brought to hospital after suffering from “possible alcohol intoxication” at an event at the Prime Minister’s official residence.

The person is not an immediate member of the Harper family, but a friend. The Harpers have a son, Benjamin, who was born in 1996 and will turn 18 this year.

The legal drinking age in Ontario is 19, but the RCMP, which is responsible for security at 24 Sussex, said it will not intervene.

“We are aware of the Ottawa [Emergency Medical Services] attending the residence,” said RCMP spokeswoman Lucy Shorey. “This was a medical call and not a police matter.”

The Prime Minister's Office declined to comment.

18-year-old taken to hospital after party at Prime Minister’s residence - The Globe and Mail

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

really kid, the ol' fake harpo pic? u must really be mad.

you can do better than that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
and? so? Why should I care?

Technically she is underage and was under his roof. That makes him in part responsible.

Though personally I don't really care one way or another either. Having the drinking age set at 19 never really made any sense to me.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

18 yr. old taken to hospital after party at PM's residence

Medical authorities intervened at 24 Sussex Dr. over the weekend after a young party-goer suffered from severe intoxication.

The Ottawa Paramedic Service confirmed that an 18-year-old girl was brought to hospital after suffering from “possible alcohol intoxication” at an event at the Prime Minister’s official residence.

The person is not an immediate member of the Harper family, but a friend. The Harpers have a son, Benjamin, who was born in 1996 and will turn 18 this year.

The legal drinking age in Ontario is 19, but the RCMP, which is responsible for security at 24 Sussex, said it will not intervene.

“We are aware of the Ottawa [Emergency Medical Services] attending the residence,” said RCMP spokeswoman Lucy Shorey. “This was a medical call and not a police matter.”

The Prime Minister's Office declined to comment.

18-year-old taken to hospital after party at Prime Minister’s residence - The Globe and Mail

I wonder if it was actually Ben that she was showing a trick or two! -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
isn't he out of country...gonna be some kids in deep do-do when dad gets home

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Looking more and more like the son had a birthday party. This is hardly a story, all young people drink underage. If anything it just shows that Harper is just as human (OMG DID HE SAY HUMAN!) as the rest of us and has the same issues with his kids. Any minute now there should be a big DOUBLE STANDARD rebuttal.

And if this happened at my house. It wouldn't be newsworthy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Serving alcohol to minors is illegal in Ontario. However, the Liquor License Act allows parents to serve their children inside the family home and, so long as they’re not being served, it doesn’t prohibit other minors from drinking inside the home.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Looking more and more like the son had a birthday party. This is hardly a story, all young people drink underage. If anything it just shows that Harper is just as human (OMG DID HE SAY HUMAN!) as the rest of us and has the same issues with his kids. Any minute now there should be a big DOUBLE STANDARD rebuttal.

It was at mine.LOL. But I wasn't there.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Detox (detoxification - or sobering-up) is a process as well as a place

sure it is, but no use of that in the article

aye

Serving alcohol to minors is illegal in Ontario. However, the Liquor License Act allows parents to serve their children inside the family home and, so long as they’re not being served, it doesn’t prohibit other minors from drinking inside the home.

aye

Not sure about any or all of the members here but by the time I was 15 or 16, I had been half in the bag numerous times...whether at a friends house raiding his dad's liquor cabinet, community dance with smuggled booze/beer, or just buying it at brewers retail if we passed the 'look test'...my 'bag' was smaller of course as a teen...so to speak...now by 18 (I was independent, with job, car and mailing address) those looked like the old days.

protip: rcmp has responsibility for security there, not stevo

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Not sure about any or all of the members here but by the time I was 15 or 16, I had been half in the bag numerous times...whether at a friends house raiding his dad's liquor cabinet, community dance with smuggled booze/beer, or just buying it at brewers retail if we passed the 'look test'...my 'bag' was smaller of course as a teen...so to speak...now by 18 (I was independent, with job, car and mailing address) those looked like the old days.

protip: rcmp has responsibility for security there, not stevo
we were drunk most weekends.... likely drank more before I was legal than all the years since.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My guess is Bennie gets grounded - which is probably easy time compared to the extra barn chores I got stuck with for a really cool party while Mom and Dad were away (not to mention the house clean-up and some repairs here and there)

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Alcohol poisoning is pretty rough. I knew a guy who got into the Screech and man, he wasn't right for days. His eyes were bloodshot, he was puking his guts out. Once when I was 15 I downed a beer glass of white lightening on a bet. I didn't get alcohol poisoning, but when I bragged about to my stepfather a week or so later he tore me a new one.

Kids do stupid sh!t.