Canadian Muslim professor: 'If you want sharia law, go back to the hellhole country y

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
About one dozen families who recently immigrated to Canada are demanding that the Louis Riel School Division in Winnipeg excuse their children from music and coed physical education programs for religious reasons.

The families believe that music is un-Islamic – just like the Taliban believe and then imposed on the entire population of Afghanistan – and that physical education classes should be segregated by gender even in the elementary years….

In any event, the school district is trying to find a way to adapt the curriculum to fit the wishes of these families, rather than these families adapting to fit into the school and Canadian culture.

Mahfooz Kanwar, a member of the Muslim Canadian Congress, says he has some better ideas.

“I’d tell them, this is Canada, and in Canada, we teach music and physical education in our schools. If you don’t like it, leave. If you want to live under sharia law, go back to the hellhole country you came from or go to another hellhole country that lives under sharia law,” said Kanwar, who is a professor emeritus of sociology at Mount Royal University in Calgary.

That might be putting things a little more forcefully than most of us would be comfortable with, but Kanwar says he is tired of hearing about such out-of-tune demands from newcomers to our country. “Immigrants to Canada should adjust to Canada, not the other way around,” he argues….

Canadian Muslim professor: ‘If you want sharia law, go back to the hellhole country you came from’ | Freethought Nation

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I know a guy from East Germany. Great guy, he was sitting there listening to a few other German guys bitching about something in German. Suddenly he spouted off, "You're in the wrong Country, if you don't like it here you should go back."

When I asked him what the story was he said they were whining about Canada and how things were back home. My friend, he saw a few of his friends get shot down on that wall. He loves Canada and loves being Canadian.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I know a guy from East Germany. Great guy, he was sitting there listening to a few other German guys bitching about something in German. Suddenly he spouted off, "You're in the wrong Country, if you don't like it here you should go back."

When I asked him what the story was he said they were whining about Canada and how things were back home. My friend, he saw a few of his friends get shot down on that wall. He loves Canada and loves being Canadian.
I appreciate your point, but at the same time. . .

1) Any good NCO knows when they're bitching, they're relatively happy. It's when they stop that you have to worry.

2) Bringing ideas from the Old Country is how Canada became Canada. Why was it legitimate in the 1600s and 1700s, but not in the 2000s?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I appreciate your point, but at the same time. . .

1) Any good NCO knows when they're bitching, they're relatively happy. It's when they stop that you have to worry.

2) Bringing ideas from the Old Country is how Canada became Canada. Why was it legitimate in the 1600s and 1700s, but not in the 2000s?

Nah, they were bashing Canada, and Canadians, not whining about how they missed the strudel.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Surely Canada adopted the good ideas, not the bad ones.

But if you see no problem with Canadian women being stoned for adultery and Canadian queers being hanged from cranes and Canadians being jailed for drinking alcohol then fair enough. You should petition the Canadian government to have it introduced.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

But if you see no problem with Canadian women being stoned for adultery and Canadian queers being hanged from cranes and Canadians being jailed for drinking alcohol then fair enough. You should petition the Canadian government to have it introduced.

It was only 44 years ago that laws against homosexuality were repealed. Should we bring them back?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It was only 44 years ago that laws against homosexuality were repealed. Should we bring them back?
YUP here in lotusland we have students fighting education cuts to music programs while in Manitoba Muslim children are refusing music and P.E. classes because they are against their religion .

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Gotta agree with the professer; if you don't like how our country does things, get out.

It's great we accept people from all over. But if you don't want your kids to be in music class and be in a co-ed gym class. how about YOU take your kids out, instead of imposing on everyone else's kids your ideas of how things should be?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I love to see how the wind is really changing to Conservatism up in Canada. I've been laughing about the notion that a US Democrat would be a conservative in Canada for awhile now. Now I will laugh harder.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Methinks you should STFU and look around in your own backyard, as you live in a society much more subverted by Islamic immigration than Canada is, or will ever be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rawing-documents-according-Islamic-rules.html

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I love to see how the wind is really changing to Conservatism up in Canada. I've been laughing about the notion that a US Democrat would be a conservative in Canada for awhile now. Now I will laugh harder.

You do not understand our culture... we are not American... you are cousins not family for a reason... we are different...it's not all left and right here, black and white...it's right and wrong, everything is not defined by a political party and its thought rut...

people think we are a polite nation and we are, but they do not understand that when pushed we shove back.

people mock our pacifism... that's okay, when we decide something is worth fighting for, we don't lose.

people put others into boxes because that's comfortable for them... it's not reality, things are not black and white, they are red and white and we slide back and forth on the scale according to what works best for our country

Sharia law is never going to happen here, you can count on it...and it's not a left/right thing.

So when will this Canadian Prof. be brought on charges for hate speech?
never

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You do not understand our culture... we are not American... you are cousins not family for a reason... we are different...it's not all left and right here, black and white...it's right and wrong, everything is not defined by a political party and its thought rut...

people think we are a polite nation and we are, but they do not understand that when pushed we shove back.

people mock our pacifism... that's okay, when we decide something is worth fighting for, we don't lose.

people put others into boxes because that's comfortable for them... it's not reality, things are not black and white, they are red and white and we slide back and forth on the scale according to what works best for our country

Sharia law is never going to happen here, you can count on it...and it's not a left/right thing.

never
Up to a point you are correct , but in many ways wrong when you state it not a left right thing .
The federal liberals constantly called the conservatives anti immigrant and used the strategy effectively for many an election cycle .
In America the Republicans are painted as anti immigrant and racist because they want to enforce their countries immigration laws .
Not many years ago the Democrats had the same policy however they saw the votes in the opposite position .

Don't kid yourself our politicians no different and will sway wherever they see the most votes .
Any thing that happens in the Republic south of the border can happen here .

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Some good, some bad, like any other place.

The media and even this forum tend to go against that. People are always calling people or ideas "right wing" or "left wing." You can see that everywhere here and in our big papers and news programs. It really annoys me. Not quite as bad as the US, but not far off from them. Its very divisive and just plain wrong to think there are only two sides or ways of thinking but it apparently sells.

They don't seem all that different to me in practice.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Up to a point you are correct , but in many ways wrong when you state it not a left right thing .
The federal liberals constantly called the conservatives anti immigrant and used the strategy effectively for many an election cycle .
In America the Republicans are painted as anti immigrant and racist because they want to enforce their countries immigration laws .
Not many years ago the Democrats had the same policy however they saw the votes in the opposite position .

Don't kid yourself our politicians no different and will sway wherever they see the most votes .
Any thing that happens in the Republic south of the border can happen here .
It's not a matter of kidding oneself or believing our "politicians" are different. Rather, I was speaking directly to his post in which he is musing on the fact that there are lefts in this particular forum who will support a right stance when it suits our beliefs or our personal interests. It can in deed be confusing.

It is not confusing to most Canadians except perhaps to the hard liners. I know some Canadians do indeed cling desperately to party lines as well, but if you take a wander through here, most are more for themselves than a party line. I believe that is true (in general). If you polled Canadians many have voted across the board.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gotta agree with the professer; if you don't like how our country does things, get out.

It's great we accept people from all over. But if you don't want your kids to be in music class and be in a co-ed gym class. how about YOU take your kids out, instead of imposing on everyone else's kids your ideas of how things should be?

If they are citizens now they don't have to. They can do whatever they want and try to implement any changes they want just as we can. Things are always changing.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The media and even this forum tend to go against that. People are always calling people or ideas "right wing" or "left wing." You can see that everywhere here and in our big papers and news programs. It really annoys me. Not quite as bad as the US, but not far off from them. Its very divisive and just plain wrong to think there are only two sides or ways of thinking but it apparently sells
Yes I agree it does happen in here.

I also do believe there are many thinking individuals in here that are not just hard liners. Yes we do have hard liners and regardless of what their party does it will always be their party and it does no wrong as even if they do they see them as "more right".

Even so there are issues that we would agree on.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Why is it that I can't follow all the old Scots clan law and bring on the blood feud with
the Campbells? After all first generation or second or third should count for something.
Ancestors came here and if the now folks can bring their old ways why can't we keep
the old ways too?
That is crazy you say and you are right.
These people moved to a new country with a new society and its time to get with the
social program. We should not make special provisions to accommodate the new
comers we did not ask anyone to come here be they Christians, Jews, Muslims or
anyone else.
I don't mind people coming here as long as they are loyal Canadians and abide by the
law of the land. When they come and want to change the laws to suit them I have a
problem with that. There is one other solution Home School and even that should be
tightened up by everyone regardless of where you came from or are natural Canadians.