Rob Ford ‘didn’t call me back’: attack ad takes aim at the core of mayor’s brand

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Does Rob Ford really call people back? - YouTube

Rob Ford ‘didn’t call me back’: Olivia Chow attack ad takes aim at the core of mayor’s brand

The Olivia Chow campaign wants Torontonians to know it’s not just reporters who have waited in futility by the phone for Mayor Rob Ford to return their call.

A new ad from the Chow campaign features a Toronto woman named Laura who says she called the mayor 20 times about the TTC and has yet to get a phone call back.

“Rob Ford is always bragging that he’s too busy to do this or he’s too busy to do that because he’s calling people back. Well, he didn’t call me back,” Laura says in the video, with a bright, neat-looking kitchen in the background. “It got to the point where my friends would tease me if I would show up late somewhere and I’d say it was the subway. They’d tease me and say ‘Well, did you call the mayor’s office?’

“I have Rob Ford programmed into my phone and he’s never called me back.”

The Chow campaign says Laura is a real person, not an actor, who walked into their campaign office several weeks ago and told them her story.

“When Rob Ford is asked about hanging out with gangsters, he says he’s a great mayor because he calls everyone back. Laura called about 20 times. She’s still waiting,” says the text accompanying the video.

Councillor Doug Ford, the mayor’s campaign manager and older brother, was told about the ad by the Post and he called it “not accurate” and “disingenuous.”

“He returns more phone calls than any politician in the country … no one even comes close,” Councillor Ford said Thursday morning. “As for Olivia Chow, [Mayor Ford] returns more calls in a week than she does in a year. Shows up to more houses than she does in a lifetime and everyone knows Rob Ford is famous for returning phone calls.

“When [Chow] says someone calls 20 times… she’s an outright liar.”

The Chow campaign says Torontonians can expect similar ads aimed at challenging Ford’s key campaign statements in the future.

“Olivia’s taking direct aim at the core of Rob Ford’s brand. Take buses. He says he’ll stand up for the little guy, but cuts TTC funding to make buses more crowded,” Chow’s communication director, Jamey Heath, said.

Since he was a city councillor, Ford has long said he returned all of his constituent phone calls, and even as mayor he hands out a phone number for people to call him. More than a few Torontonians have been surprised when Ford returned their call to address issues as common as potholes.

When he lost many of mayoral powers last November after admitting to smoking crack cocaine after months of denials, Ford complained that his office was losing the ability to return phone calls.

The mayor has claimed to receive 138,000 emails, 123,000 phone calls and 22,000 personal phone calls a year and said cuts to his office have limited that ability.

At 22,000 calls a year, Ford would be returning 60 calls a day.

Councillor Doug Ford says the mayor returns phone calls until 11 p.m., sometimes making a 100 calls a day. He doesn’t think it takes away from the mayor’s other responsibilities.

“We’ve dealt with macro-level items over the last three years, we ended up getting more done than the previous administration did in seven years,” Councillor Ford said.

Mayor Ford is holding his campaign launch Thursday night at Toronto Congress Centre in Etobicoke and his campaign says they are expecting “thousands.”

Councillor Ford said it will be the biggest event in his 30 years of politics.

“Both [John] Tory and Chow is getting nervous and you can quote me on that,” he said.

Rob Ford ‘didn’t call me back’: Olivia Chow attack ad takes aim at the core of mayor’s brand

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Does Rob Ford really call people back? - YouTube

The Olivia Chow campaign wants Torontonians to know it’s not just reporters who have waited in futility by the phone for Mayor Rob Ford to return their call.

A new ad from the Chow campaign features a Toronto woman named Laura who says she called the mayor 20 times about the TTC and has yet to get a phone call back.

“Rob Ford is always bragging that he’s too busy to do this or he’s too busy to do that because he’s calling people back. Well, he didn’t call me back,” Laura says in the video, with a bright, neat-looking kitchen in the background. “It got to the point where my friends would tease me if I would show up late somewhere and I’d say it was the subway. They’d tease me and say ‘Well, did you call the mayor’s office?’

“I have Rob Ford programmed into my phone and he’s never called me back.”

The Chow campaign says Laura is a real person, not an actor, who walked into their campaign office several weeks ago and told them her story.

“When Rob Ford is asked about hanging out with gangsters, he says he’s a great mayor because he calls everyone back. Laura called about 20 times. She’s still waiting,” says the text accompanying the video.

Councillor Doug Ford, the mayor’s campaign manager and older brother, was told about the ad by the Post and he called it “not accurate” and “disingenuous.”

“He returns more phone calls than any politician in the country … no one even comes close,” Councillor Ford said Thursday morning. “As for Olivia Chow, [Mayor Ford] returns more calls in a week than she does in a year. Shows up to more houses than she does in a lifetime and everyone knows Rob Ford is famous for returning phone calls.

“When [Chow] says someone calls 20 times… she’s an outright liar.”

The Chow campaign says Torontonians can expect similar ads aimed at challenging Ford’s key campaign statements in the future.

“Olivia’s taking direct aim at the core of Rob Ford’s brand. Take buses. He says he’ll stand up for the little guy, but cuts TTC funding to make buses more crowded,” Chow’s communication director, Jamey Heath, said.

Since he was a city councillor, Ford has long said he returned all of his constituent phone calls, and even as mayor he hands out a phone number for people to call him. More than a few Torontonians have been surprised when Ford returned their call to address issues as common as potholes.

When he lost many of mayoral powers last November after admitting to smoking crack cocaine after months of denials, Ford complained that his office was losing the ability to return phone calls.

The mayor has claimed to receive 138,000 emails, 123,000 phone calls and 22,000 personal phone calls a year and said cuts to his office have limited that ability.

At 22,000 calls a year, Ford would be returning 60 calls a day.

Councillor Doug Ford says the mayor returns phone calls until 11 p.m., sometimes making a 100 calls a day. He doesn’t think it takes away from the mayor’s other responsibilities.

“We’ve dealt with macro-level items over the last three years, we ended up getting more done than the previous administration did in seven years,” Councillor Ford said.

Mayor Ford is holding his campaign launch Thursday night at Toronto Congress Centre in Etobicoke and his campaign says they are expecting “thousands.”

Councillor Ford said it will be the biggest event in his 30 years of politics.

“Both [John] Tory and Chow is getting nervous and you can quote me on that,” he said.

Seems like a petty campaign platform. All he has to do is find (or pay) 5 people to say he HAS called back. For once I get to be on the outside looking in but from very recent experience we've found that talking about issues gets you further than "nyah nyah".

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
All she's going to do is fire up the people who already hate Ford.

As election day gets closer, it is likely Tory's support will waiver if he remains mired in first place. Chow needs to prevent Tory support from going to Ford.

Attack ads probably do work -- the federal Conservatives have used them for years. It's kind of funny as I recall her late husband once complaining about negative campaigning. I suspect she may too if somebody produces an attack ad against her.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
This is an obvious campaign stunt but it exemplifies the tactics Ford has used to get through this term.
Like any politician he is a lot of talk and not much actual 'do'. He couldn't even make it through this term fulfilling his duties, he had to get his brother to 'speak for the mayor'. He can't stand up like a man and address the public himself when the heat is on. His brother is mayor as much as he is and he was not elected to be mayor.
Little Bobby Ford never did grow up.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
All she's going to do is fire up the people who already hate Ford.

That is 99% of what politics is about. Very little effort is spent trying to actually win over new voters. The vast majority of work is aimed at mobilizing people that you know will vote for you.

When only about half of the eligible people actually vote in any election, making sure that your supporters are the ones who do vote is what wins elections.

Seems like a petty campaign platform. All he has to do is find (or pay) 5 people to say he HAS called back. For once I get to be on the outside looking in but from very recent experience we've found that talking about issues gets you further than "nyah nyah".

I don't think it is petty when it is something that the Ford's talk about incessantly.

I have tried to email his office at least a dozen times as well, and I have never gotten more than a brush off from his staff.

The man is full of **** and needs to be called on it. Numerous times he has been on the radio or TV and said that he would sit down and meet with anyone who wanted to meet him anytime they wanted. When I email to set that up, no dice.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I cannot understand the rationale for voting for Ford. It is like watching a campaign on Mars.
he's on the right wing team....gotta support your team man...where's the love?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Toronto is like the Antelope sloop in Stan Rogers' Barrett's Privateers,

"The Antelope sloop was a sickening sight.
She'd a list to port and her sails in rags,
And a cook in the scuppers with staggers and jags."

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Toronto is like the Antelope sloop in Stan Rogers' Barrett Privateers,

"The Antelope sloop was a sickening sight.
She'd a list to port and her sails in rags,
And a cook in the scuppers with staggers and jags."
yeah but once she was shiny and new and showed great promise...just like him

(past tense)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Everyone loves a baby until diaper change.
he disappointed me so I am done with him, others never will be, he seems to represent some kind of rebel rightist that appeals to a certain mindset.

they just defend him though by attacking the attackers, no one has explained to me yet in any coherent way, what they like about him, what they feel they can expect from him... it's bizarre to me