Rob Ford for Mayor 2014 Campaign Launched in Toronto

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Thousands of people gathered earlier today at the Toronto Congress Centre to help launch Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election campaign for the 2014 Toronto mayoral race.

The event was scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m., but the crowd started to line up shortly after 4 p.m. and by the time the doors opened there were already many people waiting. As with every event involving Rob Ford, the attendees resembled a true rainbow of every race and ethnicity living in Toronto.

Rob Ford, Doug Ford, George Chuvalo, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, elections, Toronto City Hall, mayorr | BlogWrath - Thoughts on politics and common sense

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Due to the poor attendance at Rob Ford’s campaign kickoff party, his new theme song could be “Half Empty Halls”

The Ford campaign booked an enormous banquet hall; rented tables, chairs, tablecloths, sound equipment, etc.; shelled out for servers and other staff; hired a rock band and bagpipers; hung large printed banners; gave away free alcohol and snacks; handed out other freebies; and brought along an old fire truck as a prop (which brother Randy bought for $4,000 at an auction). There were probably many other expenses too.

By most accounts, the April 17, 2014 event was a flop, with low turnout, no “history in the making" moments (another Ford promise broken), none of the celebrity appearances that were anticipated, and a lackluster speech full of lies, clichés and vague pledges.

TV footage showed a lot of people waiting in line to get Ford T-shirts and bobblehead dolls, but it seems that many of those people were not genuine supporters, and left soon after getting their memorabilia, perhaps to sell online.

Conventional wisdom among political operatives is that you always hire a modest-sized space for events like this. It looks fuller that way and you don’t risk showing empty seats on TV. Olivia Chow’s launch was in a church, John Tory’s in a downtown community hall.
That’s not how the Fords roll. They got the Toronto Congress Centre, a vast barn on Dixon Road with polished-concrete floors and cinderblock walls that looks big enough to host a monster-truck rally. They filled maybe half of the 290 tables of 10 seats each.

Ford launches populist crusade, er, political campaign - The Globe and Mail

Yes they are there up at the front.............

original source for this material:

The Ranting Canadian, Due to the poor attendance at Rob Ford’s campaign...

yours in moderatorship, Mr. Locutus

Last edited by a moderator:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Wow. Not exactly great planning, but I guess that is what you get when your brother is your campaign manager.
Look to the future- He could be reelected?
How would that go down With the Chow congregations?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Look to the future- He could be reelected?
How would that go down With the Chow congregations?

Lol, do you seriously need to ask how Chow supporters would feel if Ford got elected?

Probably the same way that Ford supporters would feel if Chow got elected.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Lol, do you seriously need to ask how Chow supporters would feel if Ford got elected?

Probably the same way that Ford supporters would feel if Chow got elected.

Myself I do not support Ford, nor am I silly enough to support chow.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thousands of people gathered earlier today at the Toronto Congress Centre to help launch Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election campaign for the 2014 Toronto mayoral race.

The event was scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m., but the crowd started to line up shortly after 4 p.m. and by the time the doors opened there were already many people waiting. As with every event involving Rob Ford, the attendees resembled a true rainbow of every race and ethnicity living in Toronto.

Rob Ford, Doug Ford, George Chuvalo, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, elections, Toronto City Hall, mayorr | BlogWrath - Thoughts on politics and common sense

I guess if he can pull it off he deserves it, but methinks it may be an up hill battle!

(On the other hand underestimating anyone can be dangerous!)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Due to the poor attendance at Rob Ford’s campaign kickoff party, his new theme song could be “Half Empty Halls”

The Ford campaign booked an enormous banquet hall; rented tables, chairs, tablecloths, sound equipment, etc.; shelled out for servers and other staff; hired a rock band and bagpipers; hung large printed banners; gave away free alcohol and snacks; handed out other freebies; and brought along an old fire truck as a prop (which brother Randy bought for $4,000 at an auction). There were probably many other expenses too.

By most accounts, the April 17, 2014 event was a flop, with low turnout, no “history in the making" moments (another Ford promise broken), none of the celebrity appearances that were anticipated, and a lackluster speech full of lies, clichés and vague pledges.

TV footage showed a lot of people waiting in line to get Ford T-shirts and bobblehead dolls, but it seems that many of those people were not genuine supporters, and left soon after getting their memorabilia, perhaps to sell online.

Conventional wisdom among political operatives is that you always hire a modest-sized space for events like this. It looks fuller that way and you don’t risk showing empty seats on TV. Olivia Chow’s launch was in a church, John Tory’s in a downtown community hall.
That’s not how the Fords roll. They got the Toronto Congress Centre, a vast barn on Dixon Road with polished-concrete floors and cinderblock walls that looks big enough to host a monster-truck rally. They filled maybe half of the 290 tables of 10 seats each.

Ford launches populist crusade, er, political campaign - The Globe and Mail

Yes they are there up at the front.............

tay: Are you implying this post is from you or the Globe and Mail? (because I know it is neither one)

protip: The video in the OP link shows everything you need to know.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Either one would be a disaster for Toronto.

I personally like Tory. Well, I actually like David Soknacki best, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning.

What do you think you are adding to this thread?

protip: The video in the OP link shows everything you need to know.

What do you think the video shows that people need to know?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A political rally.

I am genuinely asking what you meant in your last comment. What part of it do you think is important for people to know about?

and now in relation to tay's posted text.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
can't help ya man. move on.

Lol, that is a lie. You could easily tell me what you think people should know about that video. For some readon you just refuse to do so.

Are you afraid of people challenging what you say?