Impressed with Harper's eulogy /gave me pride in "MY" Prime minister


Count_Lothian
+1
#1
If you did not see the entire speech , you missed something special.
I never remotely thought of Harper as a person who could come off as such a nice guy.

There was a moment I thought oh oh here we go electioneering.
But it was instantly quashed when he turned it around and explained it as Jim's legacy.

He had a very morose crowd lighten up and laugh. He talked to the boys as a father .

So many levels of humanity that the man, for the first time showed us.

Even CBC was floored and gave him credit on the radio.

And it was entirely his words.


It's been a long time since I felt pride in "MY" Prime Minister
 
BornRuff
+3
#2
You must not think to highly of him if you think he would use a funeral as a chance for "electioneering"
 
MHz
+2 / -1
#3
Pretty much means somebody else wrote it and he was only reading it.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+3
#4
I pretty much agree. It was a very good eulogy. He should show his 'human' side publicly more often. It'd help, as he said "I can't even get my friends to like me." Show that side and that problem will go away.
Last edited by WLDB; Apr 16th, 2014 at 10:46 PM..
 
Count_Lothian
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

You must not think to highly of him if you think he would use a funeral as a chance for "electioneering"

Not even going to comment on this except a question
"Are you what they refer to as a troll?"

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Pretty much means somebody else wrote it and he was only reading it.

No it is a given he did write it.
end of.

Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

I pretty much agree. It was a very good eulogy. He should show his 'human' publicly more often. It'd help, as he said "I can't even get my friends to like me." Show that side and that problem will go away.

yes indeed .
It's going to be hard for the naysayers to knock it.
 
BornRuff
-1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

No it is a given he did write it.
end of.

Now who's trolling?
 
Count_Lothian
#7
from :
Morning Brief — April 16, 2014 (external - login to view)


Stephen Harper will deliver a very personal eulogy today for Jim Flaherty, which he wrote himself to bid goodbye to the man who steered his government’s finances through rough waters.


full speech here:
Text of Stephen Harper's eulogy for Jim Flaherty | Toronto Star
 
JamesBondo
+1
#8
a good eulogy is all about the mourning in attendance. I would say this one was well written and well delivered.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+3
#9
"One speech doth not a good PM make,"
-Leviticus 16:3
 
petros
#10
Whomever wrote that for Harper did a bang up job.
 
BornRuff
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

from :
Morning Brief ó April 16, 2014 (external - login to view)


Stephen Harper will deliver a very personal eulogy today for Jim Flaherty, which he wrote himself to bid goodbye to the man who steered his governmentís finances through rough waters.


full speech here:
Text of Stephen Harper's eulogy for Jim Flaherty | Toronto Star

Funny, after hearing the speech in it's entirety, there actually is a fair amount of electioneering in there. He even plugs the Economic Action Plan.
 
Praxius
Free Thinker
+4
#12  Top Rated Post
A politician talking about another politician and what he did in politics..... and some are surprised that there could be a slight political spin and/or "Electioneering?"

Kinda hard not to.

That's like asking an egg farmer to tell you about his job without brining up eggs in the conversation.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+2
#13
Sometimes, Harper does show a human side. Most times it's obvious he's uncomfortable with pulling down his pants in public
 
BornRuff
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Sometimes, Harper does show a human side. Most times it's obvious he's uncomfortable with pulling down his pants in public

I hope it stays that way.

Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

A politician talking about another politician and what he did in politics..... and some are surprised that there could be a slight political spin and/or "Electioneering?"

Kinda hard not to.

That's like asking an egg farmer to tell you about his job without brining up eggs in the conversation.

I think it is a tough line to walk, especially since his time in office was so recent and we are only about a year away from an election.

Avoiding things like the "Economic Action Plan" would probably be better though.
 
Colpy
Conservative
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Sometimes, Harper does show a human side. Most times it's obvious he's uncomfortable with pulling down his pants in public

That is it exactly.

Personally, I think Harper is far too rigid in his thinking, and it has cost him politically. At the same time, that rigidity extends to certain of his principles, and that is a good thing. ie rigidity of thought is good when I agree, bad when I don't

But "they" say he has a warm, personable, friendly side not seen by many outside his inner circle.

The guy is human, with strong points and flaws. It is a shame he has been so personally demonized. I really don't think he deserves it.
 
BornRuff
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

That is it exactly.

Personally, I think Harper is far too rigid in his thinking, and it has cost him politically. At the same time, that rigidity extends to certain of his principles, and that is a good thing. ie rigidity of thought is good when I agree, bad when I don't

His style of leadership rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but it is what as gotten him where he is today. How much more successful could he really be in politics?

I really don't think his style is all that rigid. On the larger scale, he certainly firmly believes that a Conservative government is what is best for Canada, but in order to ensure that happens he is highly pragmatic. His actions often stray from previous promises and statements.
 
Count_Lothian
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

There was a moment I thought oh oh here we go electioneering.
But it was instantly quashed when he turned it around and explained it as Jim's legacy.


Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

You must not think to highly of him if you think he would use a funeral as a chance for "electioneering"

Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Now who's trolling?

Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Funny, after hearing the speech in it's entirety, there actually is a fair amount of electioneering in there. He even plugs the Economic Action Plan.

As I said there was a moment, "a moment " where electioneering could be interpreted.
But as I said it was instantly quashed and used as a measure of Jim's legacy as perceived by our Prime Minister.

You are using a funeral for a politician and the mention of his legacy in order to portray what exactly?

I have not been a huge Harper fan and have even tried to coin the word Harperism on two Canadian boards.

What I saw yesterday was a good man.
I have always tried to see the Canadian in the elected .
I saw that yesterday and commented on it here.

Maybe it was my disdain for Harperism as I see it that led me and others to see electioneering.

I'm not exactly happy with our government and it's way of making me feel ruled the last few years.
In this case it was quashed and I was left with pride in this very Canadian moment.
 
MHz
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

No it is a given he did write it.
end of.
.

He doesn't even know how to write in the first person.
"This has been a traumatic event for many of us, but, of course, none more so than Jimís family."

"This has been a traumatic event for me, but, of course, none more so than Jimís family."
 
Count_Lothian
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

I really don't think his style is all that rigid. On the larger scale, he certainly firmly believes that a Conservative government is what is best for Canada, but in order to ensure that happens he is highly pragmatic. His actions often stray from previous promises and statements.

The use of the word pragmatic has been used to describe Jim's decision to put aside his disdain for deficits and create an over the top deficit on purpose for the good of the world.
This word was used over and over the last few days and rightly so in this instance and portrayal of Jim's decision in 2008.

Can you please give me some examples of Harper being "Highly Pragmatic"
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+1
#20
Good point, MHz.
But, if I were writing his speech, I would not include the qualifying phrase which weakens the statement. Better is:
"This has been a traumatic event; but, of course, more so for Jim’s family."
 
Count_Lothian
#21
[QUOTE=Count_Lothian;1902766]

yes indeed .
It's going to be hard for the naysayers to knock it.[/
QUOTE]

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

He doesn't even know how to write in the first person.
"This has been a traumatic event for many of us, but, of course, none more so than Jimís family."

"This has been a traumatic event for me, but, of course, none more so than Jimís family."

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Good point, MHz.
But, if I were writing his speech, I would not include the qualifying phrase which weakens the statement. Better is:
"This has been a traumatic event; but, of course, more so for Jimís family."


ROFLMFAO!!!!!
 
Spade
Free Thinker
#22
No, not hard.
 
BornRuff
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

As I said there was a moment, "a moment " where electioneering could be interpreted.
But as I said it was instantly quashed and used as a measure of Jim's legacy as perceived by our Prime Minister.

You are using a funeral for a politician and the mention of his legacy in order to portray what exactly?

I have not been a huge Harper fan and have even tried to coin the word Harperism on two Canadian boards.

What I saw yesterday was a good man.
I have always tried to see the Canadian in the elected .
I saw that yesterday and commented on it here.

Maybe it was my disdain for Harperism as I see it that led me and others to see electioneering.

I'm not exactly happy with our government and it's way of making me feel ruled the last few years.
In this case it was quashed and I was left with pride in this very Canadian moment.

I guess overall I just can't take any of this stuff very seriously.

Harper and all of the other politicians who we have heard speak about Jim are professional public figures. They have teams of people helping them write their comments, telling them how to act, telling them exactly how to deliver their speeches. Hell, they probably don't even choose their own outfits for these events. I don't think being able to deliver a speech really says anything about them other than that they can deliver a good speech.
 
coldstream
#24
I noticed that this great Irish man's funeral, whom those in attendance wore 'green ties' in remembrance, was in St. James Anglican Cathedral in Toronto.

The Church of England was the great instigator of the bloody persecution of the Catholic Irish from Elizabeth and Cromwell through the Easter rising and partition along religious lines there after.

In fact the Catholic Burial Service proscribes eulogies as manifestations of Pride.. and they are usually reserved for the reception dinner afterwards. But i guess Flaherty went out the way he came in.. as a bit of phony.. as a quisling for the forces of occupation.. in his case those of the Global Investment Orgnanism.

I managed to miss it all... however.. RIP.. lest i be accused of 'disrespect'.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#25
And here I thought he was Canadian.
 
coldstream
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

And here I thought he was Canadian.

Definitely not Canadian.. maybe a bonafied (bona fide) citizen of Wall Street.. or the City of London.. spectral constructs that are profoundly anti-national and recognize no borders.. as far as money goes anyway.
Last edited by coldstream; Apr 17th, 2014 at 01:08 PM..
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Definitely not Canadian.. maybe a bonafied citizen of Wall Street.. or the City of London.. spectral constructs that are profoundly anti-national and recognize no borders.. as far as money goes anyway.

Wait a minute. . . you're Catholic and you think "bona fide" is "bonafied?"

I'd heard the Catholic church got away from Latin, but I had no idea it had gotten that far from Latin!
 
coldstream
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Wait a minute. . . you're Catholic and you think "bona fide" is "bonafied?"

I'd heard the Catholic church got away from Latin, but I had no idea it had gotten that far from Latin!

Fair point.. 'bona fide'.. i stand corrected. In fact 'bonafied' isn't even a word.. should have looked it up.

And there is a movement to bring back Latin to the core of Catholic practice, especially in the liturgy with the Tridentine Latin Mass and the other Latin sacraments. which i fully support.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Fair point.. 'bona fide'.. i stand corrected.

And there is a movement to bring back Latin to the core of Catholic practice, especially in the liturgy with the Tridentine Latin Mass and the other Latin sacraments. which i fully support.

\
Another case of "the best-laid plans of mice and men" (sorry, that's a quote from a despised Protestant, but it's apropos). The Catholics switched to the vernacular mass, with the best of intentions, right about the same time international travel skyrocketed.

Oh, well.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#30
Geez Cold one.... You have Pope doing his best to open doors and you doing your best to keep distinctions. For what DON'T you show your teeth?
 
no new posts