Impressed with Harper's eulogy /gave me pride in "MY" Prime minister

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
If you did not see the entire speech , you missed something special.
I never remotely thought of Harper as a person who could come off as such a nice guy.

There was a moment I thought oh oh here we go electioneering.
But it was instantly quashed when he turned it around and explained it as Jim's legacy.

He had a very morose crowd lighten up and laugh. He talked to the boys as a father .

So many levels of humanity that the man, for the first time showed us.

Even CBC was floored and gave him credit on the radio.

And it was entirely his words.

It's been a long time since I felt pride in "MY" Prime Minister

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
You must not think to highly of him if you think he would use a funeral as a chance for "electioneering"

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I pretty much agree. It was a very good eulogy. He should show his 'human' side publicly more often. It'd help, as he said "I can't even get my friends to like me." Show that side and that problem will go away.

Last edited:

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
You must not think to highly of him if you think he would use a funeral as a chance for "electioneering"
Not even going to comment on this except a question
"Are you what they refer to as a troll?"

Pretty much means somebody else wrote it and he was only reading it.
No it is a given he did write it.
end of.

I pretty much agree. It was a very good eulogy. He should show his 'human' publicly more often. It'd help, as he said "I can't even get my friends to like me." Show that side and that problem will go away.
yes indeed .
It's going to be hard for the naysayers to knock it.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
a good eulogy is all about the mourning in attendance. I would say this one was well written and well delivered.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Morning Brief — April 16, 2014

Stephen Harper will deliver a very personal eulogy today for Jim Flaherty, which he wrote himself to bid goodbye to the man who steered his government’s finances through rough waters.

full speech here:
Text of Stephen Harper's eulogy for Jim Flaherty | Toronto Star

Funny, after hearing the speech in it's entirety, there actually is a fair amount of electioneering in there. He even plugs the Economic Action Plan.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
A politician talking about another politician and what he did in politics..... and some are surprised that there could be a slight political spin and/or "Electioneering?"

Kinda hard not to.

That's like asking an egg farmer to tell you about his job without brining up eggs in the conversation.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Sometimes, Harper does show a human side. Most times it's obvious he's uncomfortable with pulling down his pants in public

I hope it stays that way.

A politician talking about another politician and what he did in politics..... and some are surprised that there could be a slight political spin and/or "Electioneering?"

Kinda hard not to.

That's like asking an egg farmer to tell you about his job without brining up eggs in the conversation.

I think it is a tough line to walk, especially since his time in office was so recent and we are only about a year away from an election.

Avoiding things like the "Economic Action Plan" would probably be better though.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sometimes, Harper does show a human side. Most times it's obvious he's uncomfortable with pulling down his pants in public

That is it exactly.

Personally, I think Harper is far too rigid in his thinking, and it has cost him politically. At the same time, that rigidity extends to certain of his principles, and that is a good thing. ie rigidity of thought is good when I agree, bad when I don't :)

But "they" say he has a warm, personable, friendly side not seen by many outside his inner circle.

The guy is human, with strong points and flaws. It is a shame he has been so personally demonized. I really don't think he deserves it.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
That is it exactly.

Personally, I think Harper is far too rigid in his thinking, and it has cost him politically. At the same time, that rigidity extends to certain of his principles, and that is a good thing. ie rigidity of thought is good when I agree, bad when I don't :)

His style of leadership rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but it is what as gotten him where he is today. How much more successful could he really be in politics?

I really don't think his style is all that rigid. On the larger scale, he certainly firmly believes that a Conservative government is what is best for Canada, but in order to ensure that happens he is highly pragmatic. His actions often stray from previous promises and statements.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
There was a moment I thought oh oh here we go electioneering.
But it was instantly quashed when he turned it around and explained it as Jim's legacy.

Now who's trolling?

Funny, after hearing the speech in it's entirety, there actually is a fair amount of electioneering in there. He even plugs the Economic Action Plan.

As I said there was a moment, "a moment " where electioneering could be interpreted.
But as I said it was instantly quashed and used as a measure of Jim's legacy as perceived by our Prime Minister.

You are using a funeral for a politician and the mention of his legacy in order to portray what exactly?

I have not been a huge Harper fan and have even tried to coin the word Harperism on two Canadian boards.

What I saw yesterday was a good man.
I have always tried to see the Canadian in the elected .
I saw that yesterday and commented on it here.

Maybe it was my disdain for Harperism as I see it that led me and others to see electioneering.

I'm not exactly happy with our government and it's way of making me feel ruled the last few years.
In this case it was quashed and I was left with pride in this very Canadian moment.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
No it is a given he did write it.
end of.
He doesn't even know how to write in the first person.
"This has been a traumatic event for many of us, but, of course, none more so than Jim’s family."

"This has been a traumatic event for me, but, of course, none more so than Jim’s family."

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I really don't think his style is all that rigid. On the larger scale, he certainly firmly believes that a Conservative government is what is best for Canada, but in order to ensure that happens he is highly pragmatic. His actions often stray from previous promises and statements.

The use of the word pragmatic has been used to describe Jim's decision to put aside his disdain for deficits and create an over the top deficit on purpose for the good of the world.
This word was used over and over the last few days and rightly so in this instance and portrayal of Jim's decision in 2008.

Can you please give me some examples of Harper being "Highly Pragmatic"

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Good point, MHz.
But, if I were writing his speech, I would not include the qualifying phrase which weakens the statement. Better is:
"This has been a traumatic event; but, of course, more so for Jim’s family."