Sort of sad to see someone sell out

Retired_Can_Soldier
Especially Sheila Fraser.

Sad, but not surprising.

From the National Post:

Sheila Fraser inked $65,000 contract for advising Elections Canada

OTTAWA – Former auditor-general Sheila Fraser could be paid up to $65,000 by Elections Canada for providing advice on electoral reform and co-chairing a panel that has met only twice.

Fraser was last year named as co-chair of a blue-chip advisory panel that is to give advice to Chief Electoral Officer Marc Mayrand on supporting democracy and overhauling the elections system.

This week, she made headlines by emphatically denouncing the Conservative government’s Fair Elections Act, saying the legislation would amount to “an attack on our democracy.”

Her remarks were largely congruent with criticism from Mayrand and dozens of other prominent elections experts and academics who have called for major changes to the bill.

But Fraser’s remarks were seen as particularly cutting, given the reputation for independence and thoroughness she earned as federal auditor general.

Contract details suggest that Fraser’s relationship with Elections Canada is a potentially lucrative one. A report posted by Elections Canada shows that her contract, running from Dec. 31 to March 31, was to pay her to a maximum $65,534. Any money she earned on the panel would come on top of a government pension based on her best earning years.

Her co-chair on the panel, former Supreme Court justice Ian Binnie, could earn even more, up to the $68,914. Read more

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Especially Sheila Fraser.

Sad, but not surprising.

From the National Post:

Sheila Fraser inked $65,000 contract for advising Elections Canada

OTTAWA – Former auditor-general Sheila Fraser could be paid up to $65,000 by Elections Canada for providing advice on electoral reform and co-chairing a panel that has met only twice.

Fraser was last year named as co-chair of a blue-chip advisory panel that is to give advice to Chief Electoral Officer Marc Mayrand on supporting democracy and overhauling the elections system.

This week, she made headlines by emphatically denouncing the Conservative government’s Fair Elections Act, saying the legislation would amount to “an attack on our democracy.”

Her remarks were largely congruent with criticism from Mayrand and dozens of other prominent elections experts and academics who have called for major changes to the bill.

But Fraser’s remarks were seen as particularly cutting, given the reputation for independence and thoroughness she earned as federal auditor general.

Contract details suggest that Fraser’s relationship with Elections Canada is a potentially lucrative one. A report posted by Elections Canada shows that her contract, running from Dec. 31 to March 31, was to pay her to a maximum $65,534. Any money she earned on the panel would come on top of a government pension based on her best earning years.

Her co-chair on the panel, former Supreme Court justice Ian Binnie, could earn even more, up to the $68,914. Read more

I guess to comment fairly one would have to know two things- 1. Is the task necessary and 2. Is she being paid more than someone else would be paid to do it?

relic
Free Thinker
Oh god no !! Not on top of her pension ! Nobody else has ever made money on top of their pension ! You goomers are so clever.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Double dipping. Another bureaucrap with no integerty.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by relicView Post

Oh god no !! Not on top of her pension ! Nobody else has ever made money on top of their pension ! You goomers are so clever.

I don't care if Sheila makes a buck. She's earned that. I just hate seeing her sell her integrity.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I don't care if Sheila makes a buck. She's earned that. I just hate seeing her sell her integrity.

I don't think Sheila would do that! Are we getting the whole story?