Jim Flaherty is dead

IdRatherBeSkiing
Commons suspends, reports have Flaherty dead | CP24.com (external - login to view)

RIP Jim. One wonders if the resignation was too late for his health.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
I had an idea there was more to his condition than was revealed to the media.

Rest in peace....

Retired_Can_Soldier
+7
#3  Top Rated Post
Flaherty was sick for a long time. He is no longer in pain. That is something. May his family take some comfort in that.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1
Right after retiring too. Unfortunate that he didnt get to enjoy any of it.

Locutus
+1
That's too bad. RIP.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Right after retiring too. Unfortunate that he didnt get to enjoy any of it.

I'm guessing he knew. Just like Jack knew.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+6
I think the man enjoyed his work and it was better for him to work to close to the end
its what sustained him. I met up with him on a few occasions over the years while I
was on the BCFGA (tree fruit growers executive) what I remember is his quick come
backs and his sense of humor. I didn't always agree with him but I liked him.
RIP Jim

BornRuff
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

It sounds like it might have been something like a heart attack, so while he knew he was in poor health, I don't know if anyone expected him to go now. Everyone seemed to expect that stepping aside would help him improve his health. His wife was still at work in Toronto today, and all of his political allies and the media seem genuinely shocked by this, so that seems to indicate that this was pretty unexpected.

Kreskin
+2
Too bad. He was a good guy.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation

Jack looked like a walking skeleton when he stepped down. Flaherty seemed normal. From what Ive read this was a massive heart attack. Im sure he must have known he was not in the best shape and probably was at risk for something like this but its not really something that can be predicted. My grandfather died like this in the early 90s less than a month after being given a clean bill of health during a physical. Meanwhile my grandmother who had 2 heart attacks, cancer and a few open heart surgeries lived 20 years longer. Odd how that happens. Healthy or not these things can just happen it seems.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

It sounds like it might have been something like a heart attack, so while he knew he was in poor health, I don't know if anyone expected him to go now. Everyone seemed to expect that stepping aside would help him improve his health. His wife was still at work in Toronto today, and all of his political allies and the media seem genuinely shocked by this, so that seems to indicate that this was pretty unexpected.

Well cause of death isn't out yet, but I don't think there is all that much shock. I wasn't shocked at all, the media has been reporting on the poor state of his health for quite some time. I was shocked when I saw Jack Layton give that Press conference, but knew Flaherty was stepping down due to health. Anyway, it's too bad, I think he was respected on both sides of the house.

BornRuff

Well cause of death isn't out yet, but I don't think there is all that much shock. I wasn't shocked at all, the media has been reporting on the poor state of his health for quite some time. I was shocked when I saw Jack Layton give that Press conference, but knew Flaherty was stepping down due to health. Anyway, it's too bad, I think he was respected on both sides of the house.

Knowing that someone is sick and needs to rest is different than knowing that they are going to drop dead soon.

There is no reason for people like Harper to lie about being shocked at the news of his death.

Goober
Free Thinker

Knowing that someone is sick and needs to rest is different than knowing that they are going to drop dead soon.

There is no reason for people like Harper to lie about being shocked at the news of his death.

Do you know if the disease he had was terminal. There have been no reports of that.
COD- Could be a massive heart attack. Who knows.
To state Harper is lying is jumping to conclusions based on no information other than personal opinion.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jim-...t-64-1.2605728
Updated
A source close to the family told the CBC's Evan Solomon that Flaherty died of a massive heart attack. Emergency services were called to Flaherty's home in Ottawa at 12:27 p.m. Thursday.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

To state Harper is lying is jumping to conclusions based on no information other than personal opinion.

Nobody stated that Harper was lying. I clearly said there was no reason to believe that he is lying.

Goober
Free Thinker

Nobody stated that Harper was lying. I clearly said there was no reason to believe that he is lying.

How did I misinterpret this?
The skin disease was not a terminal illness.
A sudden heart attack is.
The heart attack as COD does not surprise me.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

How did I misinterpret this?
The skin disease was not a terminal illness.
A sudden heart attack is.
The heart attack as COD does not surprise me.

Well, if you think anyone stated that anyone was lying, as you stated, then you misinterpreted it.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2

Good grief, give it a rest. Take a break for one thread. Can yuh?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3

I think your comment here can be viewed as you accusing Harper of lying without reason. Perhaps you should clarify your wording?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
That would eliminate wiggle room

petros
+1
One of the few I have any respect for. Godspeed Jim

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I think your comment here can be viewed as you accusing Harper of lying without reason. Perhaps you should clarify your wording?

No his comment is just plain Bornruff; looking for argument where there was none to begin with.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I guess. I am simply saying that there is no reason to doubt him when he says that.

No his comment is just plain Bornruff; looking for argument where there was none to begin with.

Lol, you chose to respond to my post and say you disagreed with me, and now you have made two posts complaining about me. It seems like you are the one who wants to bicker.

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
Regardless this is a Memorial thread.
He gave years of service to the country and my condolences to his family and loved ones.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

Lol, you chose to respond to my post and say you disagreed with me, and now you have made two posts complaining about me. It seems like you are the one who wants to bicker.

No Bornruff, I didn't want to bicker. I just said it didn't surprise me. You said it was a surprise to you. But that wasn't enough, it suddenly became a debate for you.

I'll leave it at that.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+2
Flaherty was prescribed steroids for a skin condition known to increase the risk of stoke.

What Is Bullous Pemphigoid? Jim Flaherty's Skin Condition Explained (external - login to view)

Prolonged use of steroids increases risk of heart attack. Medical science will either cure you or kill you.

BornRuff

No Bornruff, I didn't want to bicker. I just said it didn't surprise me. You said it was a surprise to you. But that wasn't enough, it suddenly became a debate for you.

I'll leave it at that.

I can't really go on without pointing out that you are still encouraging more bickering.

But anyways, no, this is what you said "I'm guessing he knew. Just like Jack knew." Which is a different statement.

I simply pointed out that from what I know, this does not seem to be the case. There is nothing to indicate that people expected him to die now or anytime soon. At least for me, when I hear that someone has died, if I don't already know, I am often interested in knowing if it was something that the family expected or not, so it seemed worthwhile to try to correct that.

Going out of your way to point out that you thought he was going to die doesn't really seem to add much to a memorial. When you hear that someone had died, is your first thought usually "I called that!".

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+2
FFS it's a memorial thread. If you simply HAVE to be right, start a NEW thread. Have some class!

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Flaherty was prescribed steroids for a skin condition known to increase the risk of stoke.

What Is Bullous Pemphigoid? Jim Flaherty's Skin Condition Explained (external - login to view)

Prolonged use of steroids increases risk of heart attack. Medical science will either cure you or kill you.

I would say the work pace, hours worked, stress were major contributors.
There are tests that show blockages in the heart.

Nuclear stress test: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Last edited by Goober; Apr 10th, 2014 at 04:50 PM..

Liberalman
+6
At Question Period the opposition were tough on him but he stood his ground and came back with quick witted and funny answers.

One of the few Conservatives who had a soul and defended his constituents, his party and his government. True to his family, a diplomat, statesman and a great asset to all Canadians from coast to coast to coast.

I will miss him greatly.

Jim Flaherty R.I.P.

Trex
+2
He was a good man.
Like others I suspect he may have been more unwell than was generally known.
To pass a mere month or two after retiring is simply tragic.
My regards to his family and friends.
He served well.

Politically I think he was one of Canada's better finance minsters.
I thought both Flaherty for the Con's and Martin for the Lib's took on a tough job during a tough time and did the job without complaint.
They could have both made a ton more money in the private sector.
Thank you.