Jim Flaherty is dead

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think the man enjoyed his work and it was better for him to work to close to the end
its what sustained him. I met up with him on a few occasions over the years while I
was on the BCFGA (tree fruit growers executive) what I remember is his quick come
backs and his sense of humor. I didn't always agree with him but I liked him.
RIP Jim

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I'm guessing he knew. Just like Jack knew.

It sounds like it might have been something like a heart attack, so while he knew he was in poor health, I don't know if anyone expected him to go now. Everyone seemed to expect that stepping aside would help him improve his health. His wife was still at work in Toronto today, and all of his political allies and the media seem genuinely shocked by this, so that seems to indicate that this was pretty unexpected.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm guessing he knew. Just like Jack knew.

Jack looked like a walking skeleton when he stepped down. Flaherty seemed normal. From what Ive read this was a massive heart attack. Im sure he must have known he was not in the best shape and probably was at risk for something like this but its not really something that can be predicted. My grandfather died like this in the early 90s less than a month after being given a clean bill of health during a physical. Meanwhile my grandmother who had 2 heart attacks, cancer and a few open heart surgeries lived 20 years longer. Odd how that happens. Healthy or not these things can just happen it seems.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It sounds like it might have been something like a heart attack, so while he knew he was in poor health, I don't know if anyone expected him to go now. Everyone seemed to expect that stepping aside would help him improve his health. His wife was still at work in Toronto today, and all of his political allies and the media seem genuinely shocked by this, so that seems to indicate that this was pretty unexpected.

Well cause of death isn't out yet, but I don't think there is all that much shock. I wasn't shocked at all, the media has been reporting on the poor state of his health for quite some time. I was shocked when I saw Jack Layton give that Press conference, but knew Flaherty was stepping down due to health. Anyway, it's too bad, I think he was respected on both sides of the house.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Well cause of death isn't out yet, but I don't think there is all that much shock. I wasn't shocked at all, the media has been reporting on the poor state of his health for quite some time. I was shocked when I saw Jack Layton give that Press conference, but knew Flaherty was stepping down due to health. Anyway, it's too bad, I think he was respected on both sides of the house.

Knowing that someone is sick and needs to rest is different than knowing that they are going to drop dead soon.

There is no reason for people like Harper to lie about being shocked at the news of his death.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Knowing that someone is sick and needs to rest is different than knowing that they are going to drop dead soon.

There is no reason for people like Harper to lie about being shocked at the news of his death.

Do you know if the disease he had was terminal. There have been no reports of that.
COD- Could be a massive heart attack. Who knows.
To state Harper is lying is jumping to conclusions based on no information other than personal opinion.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jim-flaherty-former-finance-minister-dead-at-64-1.2605728
Updated
A source close to the family told the CBC's Evan Solomon that Flaherty died of a massive heart attack. Emergency services were called to Flaherty's home in Ottawa at 12:27 p.m. Thursday.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nobody stated that Harper was lying. I clearly said there was no reason to believe that he is lying.

How did I misinterpret this?
The skin disease was not a terminal illness.
A sudden heart attack is.
The heart attack as COD does not surprise me.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
How did I misinterpret this?
The skin disease was not a terminal illness.
A sudden heart attack is.
The heart attack as COD does not surprise me.

Well, if you think anyone stated that anyone was lying, as you stated, then you misinterpreted it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Good grief, give it a rest. Take a break for one thread. Can yuh?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I think your comment here can be viewed as you accusing Harper of lying without reason. Perhaps you should clarify your wording?