Chow unveils plan for more after-school programs

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Good move!

Chow unveils plan for more after-school programs

In line with her mantra to “put children and family at the heart of our city,” Toronto mayoral candidate Olivia Chow has announced she will expand after-school programs for boys and girls.

“There are holes in our city’s after-school programs,” Chow said at the opening of her campaign office on Sunday.

“We can improve it with a focused, affordable plan.”

Chow wants to add 40 neighbourhoods to the after-school recreation and care program (ARC) she helped create under former mayor Mel Lastman. She said right now only 14 per cent of children aged six to 12 have access to the program in 41 neighbourhoods.

The program would also create 200 jobs for youth, according to Chow.

“Giving kids more to do helps them grow up strong and stay out of trouble,” she said.

“And for too many parents, arranging babysitters, enrolling in other programs and relying on family and friends is impractical and costs too much.”

Fees for ARC are now $2.34 a day for each child and are waived for about one-third of the participants who live in priority neighbourhoods.

The expansion would be phased in over three years, at which point it would cost $3.2 million a year.

Chow said she would cover the amount with property tax increases pegged to the rate of inflation, donations or partnerships with non-profit groups.

Chow unveils plan for more after-school programs | 680News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
stay home and look after the kid(s), then you won't be whining about daycare and others to do it for you.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is a much needed investment and it's not costly.

This is not an investment. It is an expence to those that have to give to the freeloaders. Not only will those that have money have to shell out for their own kids sports or whatever they will now haveto pay a bunch of government employees to look after other peoples kids.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is not an investment. It is an expence to those that have to give to the freeloaders. Not only will those that have money have to shell out for their own kids sports or whatever they will now haveto pay a bunch of government employees to look after other peoples kids.

Obviously exposing our children to an expanded education is a good thing.

This leads to tangible improvements in skills development and that positively affects the economy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

This leads to tangible improvements in skills development and that positively affects the economy.

True but at what expense and who pays. This sounds more like a job creation project for government employees. probably one tenth of the money pumped into volunteer sports program would produce better results.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Am I the only one in Canada who had to pay to go to the pool when I was a kid?

If Olivia wins (and she just might) Toronto will again be spending like a drunken sailor while crying poor.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

If Olivia wins (and she just might) Toronto will again be spending like a drunken sailor while crying poor.
Just a moderate increase in property tax to fund it .

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

After School Recreation and Care Program....

...that's expanded education?

Libs and their entitlements.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I like Chow; she unveils plans. Unlike Harper, who veils them. (Sorry for the incomplete sentence, but the jury's out)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

I enjoyed the safe warm terry towel privilege of growing up in CFB Borden and Uplands.

Best as I remember, the pools (indoor or outdoor) were free. Saturday morning movies (and a carton or three) at the Jr. Ranks and the rink too. League play, casual bowling and the 'teen town' were a nominal fee (usually covered by your allowance or cashing-in a few empty bottles).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I enjoyed the safe warm terry towel privilege of growing up in CFB Borden and Uplands.

Best as I remember, the pools (indoor or outdoor) were free. Saturday morning movies (and a carton or three) at the Jr. Ranks and the rink too. League play, casual bowling and the 'teen town' were a nominal fee (usually covered by your allowance or cashing-in a few empty bottles).

Same with me, but then we had those like taxslave who decided it all cost too much and wanted these things to turn a profit. Then slowly but surely it all ended up priced out of the range of those that needed it the most.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
When I take my son to visit my parents in Saskatoon, SK, going to a pool costs me about $8 for me and about $5 for my son. When we go in Toronto, we get in along with one of his friends for $4 total. I don't think anybody is making a profit here.