Major gridlock in Toronto over the next few years

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Major gridlock expected as city outlines road reconstruction plan

TORONTO – Get ready for a long commute.

The harsh winter, the Pan Am Games, the Gardiner Expressway and a huge repair backlog will all combine to make the summer of 2014 a bad one for driving around Toronto.

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong announced the city’s road rehabilitation plans Monday, noting more than $215 million will be spent to repair roads across the city.

“[Repairing roads is] critical to the economic well-being of our city,” he said.

There are a number of large projects:

Markham Road between Kingston Road and Lawrence Avenue
Victoria Park Avenue between Eglinton Avenue and Lawrence Avenue
Wilson Avenue between Bathurst Street and Dufferin Avenue
Finch Avenue from Kipling Road to Highway 27
Kipling Avenue between Bloor Street and Dixon Road

In total, more than 185 kilometres of road resurfacing will be done.

But the city is taking steps to make the construction season a little more bearable for the average commuter.

“A key element of this is to coordinate our efforts with other agencies such as utility companies so that we can keep disruptions to a minimum,” he said.

Instead of doing road work, then having the road dug up weeks later for watermain repairs and then paved again, the city will do the watermain repairs first, then pave the road.

The city is also going to start rehabilitating the Gardiner Expressway. To do so, crews will be closing one lane both east and westbound from Humber Road to Bathurst Street until 2016.

“It’s is an essential piece of transportation infrastructure in our city and a critical component in the regions highway system,” Minnan-Wong said. “Traffic without any lanes closed is a challenge, especially during a peak period. Having that one lane closed is not going to make the matters any better.”

There will be a brief reprieve however as the city plans to pause construction during the Pan Am Games next year.

But the Pan Am Games has also forced the city to complete several projects this year rather than next year so they don’t interfere with the games.

There are also potholes. Minnan-Wong estimated there is twice as many potholes this year than last year.

“This has been particularly difficult; already we’ve repaired more than 120k potholes on our streets,” he said.

The city recently approved an additional $4 million in funding for pothole repair that is expected to continue through July.

Major gridlock expected as city outlines road reconstruction plan - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Potholes?

Well let's not forget about the Asphalt cartel.........

Pothole-free roads? Yes, it’s possible with better asphalt, says professor

Hesp developed several tests that identify “garbage” asphalt. Kingston adopted those tests in 2009, and what they get, essentially, is more pure asphalt, largely free of cheap additives and modifiers.

Kingston now considers itself the leading municipality in road science in the country. The strict standards are mandatory for construction on arterial and collector roads and on some local roads.

“This is just the fifth winter with the new standards,” says Mark Campbell, construction manager of the engineering department with the City of Kingston. “So it’s early yet, but it’s certainly standing up very well. No cracks at all.”

Campbell says the new standards are more expensive than the old method, but “it’s rather comparable and, if the research holds true, we will see significant repair savings in the years to come.”

It’s not that much more expensive, because the science behind it isn’t groundbreaking, to use a Hesp pun.

“This was known in 1936. That is 80 years ago, yeah. It was published in the asphalt literature,” says Hesp, a Dutch native. “We’re not doing something revolutionary, more something evolutionary.”

Pavement research is a huge deal. Ontario’s Ministry of Transportation spends $2.2 billion on road repairs and construction annually. In Toronto, the city spent $155 million on repairing roads in 2013, which included fixing more than 188,000 potholes, a nearly four-fold increase since 2002. Toronto spends nearly $4 million annually on pothole repairs alone.

“You should make it clear in your article that I have gone to numerous municipalities, offering my services for free, and their jaws drop when I show them my research,” he says, his voice rising.

“The key is — you should put in your article — road managers are all well intended, but no one follows through except Kingston.”
The biggest problem with asphalt in Ontario is that it’s adulterated with used engine oil and oil residue as additives.

“More than half the asphalt I’ve tested — and make sure you put in your article I’ve tested thousands of sites — have engine oil residue,” Hesp says. “And that will crack in the first winter. After 10 years it will be rubble.”

Kingston is believed to be the only place in Ontario where strict standards are placed on the materials used. Generally, most places base standards on road performance, including the Ministry of Transportation.

Contractors must be able to build a road for a given amount of traffic, load, climate and longevity, according to Pamela Marks, the head of the bituminous section at the ministry.

So long as they can meet those standards, Marks says, the contractors are free to choose their own material.

Pothole-free roads? Yes, it’s possible with better asphalt, says professor | Metro

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
A lot of these roads have been ignored for years while our previous mayor was gallivanting about London creating Climate Change Centres. About time some tax money was diverted to the infrastructure where it is needed.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
A lot of these roads have been ignored for years while our previous mayor was gallivanting about London creating Climate Change Centres. About time some tax money was diverted to the infrastructure where it is needed.

The Miller supporters will be decidedly quiet on this one and try and change the channel with a Gun Ban or a Plastic bag tax. :)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
People can wallow in the failure of past administrations or we can move forward on this issue.

Olivia Chow, John Tory offer first hints on Gardiner policy

Mayoral candidates Chow and Tory offered up outlines of their positions on the expressway on Wednesday and Thursday, though neither was definitive.

Tory told a “telephone town hall” conference call Wednesday night that he is unhappy with all of the Gardiner options currently on the table.

“Not to foreclose a particular kind of solution, but it is a bottom line for me, a bottom line that I’m not going to vary from: I will not support any solution that extends people’s commute times,” Tory said on the call. “And every single one of the solutions presented so far, every one — including tearing down the Gardiner in particular — extend or make longer people’s commute times. I am not supporting any solution that does that. So I think people should go back to the drawing board, as I hope they’ve done.”

Tory alleged on the call that Chow would tear down the expressway “as the first order of business,” but Chow has not said so. Her spokesman, Jamey Heath, suggested that she is favourable to the “hybrid” realignment proposal put forward by developer First Gulf, which wants to build 15 million square feet of office space on nearby land.

Olivia Chow, John Tory offer first hints on Gardiner policy

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Major Gridlock from Col Sanders and General Motors? Why does TO need to call the army in to solve issues all the time?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Tearing down the Gardiner was probably one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard. As if the Lakeshore isn't jammed up enough already. And wallowing in past administrations. Really? Why do you think Ford is the mayor. Do you think its that lightening charisma? Or maybe his command of the English language? Maybe his super sanitized persona? No! Ford is the Mayor because the guy before him was an idiot who pissed away the budget, thought cars should be banned, never held counselors to account licked the anus of the public sector union and spent on stuff that was not in the interest of Toronto. Oh yeah, and he wanted to tear down the Gardiner and double the gridlock on the Lakeshore. So I'd say that previous administration is worth wallowing about.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tearing down the Gardiner was probably one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard. As if the Lakeshore isn't jammed up enough already. And wallowing in past administrations. Really? Why do you think Ford is the mayor. Do you think its that lightening charisma? Or maybe his command of the English language? Maybe his super sanitized persona? No! Ford is the Mayor because the guy before him was an idiot who pissed away the budget, thought cars should be banned, never held counselors to account licked the anus of the public sector union and spent on stuff that was not in the interest of Toronto. Oh yeah, and he wanted to tear down the Gardiner and double the gridlock on the Lakeshore. So I'd say that previous administration is worth wallowing about.
GTA can count it's lucky stars it doesn't have a Green Party mayor like Vancouver.

Vancouver's traffic makes TO's look like Moose Jaw on Sunday morning.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
GTA can count it's lucky stars it doesn't have a Green Party mayor like Vancouver.

Vancouver's traffic makes TO's look like Moose Jaw on Sunday morning.

Yes I've caught it on the Boob Tube when I'm out West. They can keep the bloody mess.