John Tory: Respect for the Law

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
John Tory reveals 'code of personal and political conduct'

In his latest campaign plank, mayoral candidate John Tory released a "code of personal and political conduct" he said he would abide by, if elected.

The code of conduct, that might be construed as an attack on Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, is "uniquely important to this campaign," Tory said at a news conference.

"Many Torontonians, myself included, supported elements of Mr. Ford's fiscal plan when he was first elected, but things have changed with this mayor," he said.

"Torontonians did not know they were electing a mayor who would hang out with criminals and people involved with drugs, the very people he should be trying to get off our streets."

Ford has admitted to smoking crack cocaine and purchasing illegal drugs while in office. The mayor is the subject of an ongoing police investigation, but no allegations have been proven in court and Ford has not been charged with a crime.

Tory said his code, which he has printed and signed, will govern his behaviour should he be elected.

"Platforms and policies are important, but they are meaningless without personal integrity," he said.

"Today, I want to leave no doubt about the conduct Torontonians can expect from me as their mayor."

John Tory's code of conduct

"I will respect and defend our laws, not break them."

Tory said will keep an open schedule, which is easily accessible to the public.

He will conduct press availabilities, which he said he'll schedule at least once a week.

He said he will work to build relationships with neighbouring municipalities and other levels of government.

"I will mend relationships and build bridges within a divided city council."

"There will be no enemies list." He said he will use the office to work with people, not to "carry on old fights."

He will treat city staff professionally and with courtesy, he said.

City resources will be used exclusively for city business, which he said he will ensure by tightening spending rules.

"Real penalties" will be introduced for city staff members who abuse their positions of power. He did not list the suggested penalties.

All lobbyists will be forced to register, which he said will level the playing field for union lobbying.

Reaction from opponent

After the news conference, a representative from Olivia Chow's mayoral campaign office suggested that Tory has a history of breaking the rules.

In 2003, Tory accepted the endorsement of the Toronto Police Association, Eiman Zarrug wrote in a statement.

Under the Police Services Act, it is illegal for any municipal police officer to engage in political activitiy.

John Tory promises to respect and defend Toronto laws, not break them | CTV Toronto News

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
John Tory reveals 'code of personal and political conduct'

Under the Police Services Act, it is illegal for any municipal police officer to engage in political activitiy.

John Tory promises to respect and defend Toronto laws, not break them | CTV Toronto News

I know it's off topic, but I find that statement a bit rich if it is in fact true; Former Mayor David Miller seemed to use Police Chief Bill Blair as his personal Stasi goon, and Mr. Blair seemed to have no qualms in his colmpliance. Chief Blair has had no problem voicing his approval of and extreme enforcement of the Firearms Act and the expansion and of scope of it. As a member of, and I think the chair of, the Canadian Assosiation of Chiefs of Police, or even if not,he is engaging in political activity. Make no mistake, this association is nothing more than a political lobby group, as any other. The difference is is that they are in an obvious conflict of interest as they lobby the government to enact legilslation that they are charged to enforce, they have an obvious self interest in it with no regard to the electorate.

If John Tory would make this illegal, he would certainly have my vote, If I ever hang my hat in Toronto.