Forget Keystone XL

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
one of Canada’s wealthiest business dynasties has a ‘Plan B’ for the oil sands

SAINT JOHN, New Brunswick — Keystone XL, a pipeline proposal to pump Canadian oil sands through the heart of America, has alarmed environmentalists and become one of the most contentious issues of the Obama presidency. But there is a “Plan B” to cut the United States out of the picture, and it is championed by one of Canada’s wealthiest business dynasties.

Since 2012, the billionaire Irving family has been advocating a proposal called Energy East. The 2,858-mile (4,600-km) pipeline would link trillions of dollars worth of oil in land-locked fields in the western province of Alberta to an Atlantic port in the Irvings’ eastern home province of New Brunswick, north of Maine, creating a gateway to new foreign markets for Canadian oil.

more

Forget Keystone XL, one of Canada’s wealthiest business dynasties has a ‘Plan B’ for the oil sands | Financial Post

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd support Energy East ONLY with new pipe. The 55 year old gas line they want to re-purpose has already blown out locally three times. You can see a fireball or a hole in the ground. Not so easy to see oil. Business.... Anything for a buck - and worse if there's more

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I can get behind that proposal... I'd wager that the p/l company could as well.

My thoughts are that the 'repurposing' of the line is to get by the regulatory approvals bog that is involved with seeking to develop a new line. In fact, the p/l company would be far better-off being able to ship both gas and crude.

Anyways, like I said, the proposal to replace the line makes perfect sense in my book

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'd support Energy East ONLY with new pipe. The 55 year old gas line they want to re-purpose has already blown out locally three times. You can see a fireball or a hole in the ground. Not so easy to see oil. Business.... Anything for a buck - and worse if there's more
I would have thought they would have used one running through here.....less hills and pump stations???

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If you're still in Kap, that's on the line. It swings south at Iroquios Falls and branches at North Bay

What you have suggested is not outside the realm of reasonableness.

I also believe that TCPL or Enbridge would not have a big issue with this, assuming that they didn't need to go through the multi-year process of fighting with Tides, GreenPeace, etc.

Mark my words, one of the biggest factors in the decision to reverse the line(s) rather than construct new ones is that the existing infrastructure is already approved and they needn't go through the regulatory process to anywhere near the same degree

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What you have suggested is not outside the realm of reasonableness.

I also believe that TCPL or Enbridge would not have a big issue with this, assuming that they didn't need to go through the multi-year process of fighting with Tides, GreenPeace, etc.

Mark my words, one of the biggest factors in the decision to reverse the line(s) rather than construct new ones is that the existing infrastructure is already approved and they needn't go through the regulatory process to anywhere near the same degree
Oh, I met the rabid nature of militant greenies while presenting the "second best" alternative (to new pipe in the existing corridor) of a rail haul ... and the same reaction from TCP's re-purposing spokespeople. It was all-or-nothing from both crowds.

Don't get reversing the line confused with re-purposing. The gas in Energy East pipes already flows west-to-east.