Forget Keystone XL

Locutus
#1
one of Canada’s wealthiest business dynasties has a ‘Plan B’ for the oil sands

SAINT JOHN, New Brunswick — Keystone XL, a pipeline proposal to pump Canadian oil sands through the heart of America, has alarmed environmentalists and become one of the most contentious issues of the Obama presidency. But there is a “Plan B” to cut the United States out of the picture, and it is championed by one of Canada’s wealthiest business dynasties.


Since 2012, the billionaire Irving family has been advocating a proposal called Energy East. The 2,858-mile (4,600-km) pipeline would link trillions of dollars worth of oil in land-locked fields in the western province of Alberta to an Atlantic port in the Irvings’ eastern home province of New Brunswick, north of Maine, creating a gateway to new foreign markets for Canadian oil.


more


Forget Keystone XL, one of Canada’s wealthiest business dynasties has a ‘Plan B’ for the oil sands | Financial Post (external - login to view)
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Plan B is presently in play.. For that matter, Plan C to the West coast is also on the radar.

These projects should have been executed years ago, but fortunately they are in the works today
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#3
I'd support Energy East ONLY with new pipe. The 55 year old gas line they want to re-purpose has already blown out locally three times. You can see a fireball or a hole in the ground. Not so easy to see oil. Business.... Anything for a buck - and worse if there's more
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#4
I can get behind that proposal... I'd wager that the p/l company could as well.

My thoughts are that the 'repurposing' of the line is to get by the regulatory approvals bog that is involved with seeking to develop a new line. In fact, the p/l company would be far better-off being able to ship both gas and crude.

Anyways, like I said, the proposal to replace the line makes perfect sense in my book
 
DaSleeper
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I'd support Energy East ONLY with new pipe. The 55 year old gas line they want to re-purpose has already blown out locally three times. You can see a fireball or a hole in the ground. Not so easy to see oil. Business.... Anything for a buck - and worse if there's more

I would have thought they would have used one running through here.....less hills and pump stations???
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#6
If you're still in Kap, that's on the line. It swings south at Iroquios Falls and branches at North Bay
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

If you're still in Kap, that's on the line. It swings south at Iroquios Falls and branches at North Bay


What you have suggested is not outside the realm of reasonableness.

I also believe that TCPL or Enbridge would not have a big issue with this, assuming that they didn't need to go through the multi-year process of fighting with Tides, GreenPeace, etc.

Mark my words, one of the biggest factors in the decision to reverse the line(s) rather than construct new ones is that the existing infrastructure is already approved and they needn't go through the regulatory process to anywhere near the same degree
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

What you have suggested is not outside the realm of reasonableness.

I also believe that TCPL or Enbridge would not have a big issue with this, assuming that they didn't need to go through the multi-year process of fighting with Tides, GreenPeace, etc.

Mark my words, one of the biggest factors in the decision to reverse the line(s) rather than construct new ones is that the existing infrastructure is already approved and they needn't go through the regulatory process to anywhere near the same degree

Oh, I met the rabid nature of militant greenies while presenting the "second best" alternative (to new pipe in the existing corridor) of a rail haul ... and the same reaction from TCP's re-purposing spokespeople. It was all-or-nothing from both crowds.

Don't get reversing the line confused with re-purposing. The gas in Energy East pipes already flows west-to-east.
 

Similar Threads

100
Lest We Forget
by Liberalman | Nov 10th, 2013
18
Lest we forget....
by dancing-loon | Aug 11th, 2013
26
Forget 3D TVs
by MapleDog | Sep 6th, 2012
3
Never Forget
by ironsides | Nov 11th, 2009
0
Lest we forget
by Blackleaf | Jul 24th, 2006
no new posts