At first debate, Rob Ford holds his own with tested strategy


Locutus
#1
Mayor brushes aside attacks by John Tory, Olivia Chow in debate that barely touched on the crack scandal.



Mounting his second run for mayor, Rob Ford returned Wednesday to the strategy that made him an adept and elusive debater during his first: stick doggedly to the dollars-and-cents matters in his wheelhouse, shrug off questions about character, sometimes make false claims.

Ford was the focus of the first 2014 debate featuring the five major candidates for the mayoralty — a free-wheeling, oft-chaotic City TV affair in which all five at times resorted to shouting to make themselves heard. The incumbent held his own, pivoting quickly to practised counter-attacks.

None of Ford’s challengers spoke directly about his crack cocaine scandal. They did confront him obliquely. Olivia Chow called him an “international embarrassment.” John Tory said he has “let the taxpayers down in this city very badly.”

more

At first debate, Rob Ford holds his own with tested strategy | Toronto Star





Jimmy KimmelVerified account ‏@jimmykimmel

oh my goodness, @TOMayorFord is JFK compared to some of these candidates #TOpoli #cityvote





Toronto mayoral debate: Rob Ford fends off Olivia Chow and John Tory in chaotic yelling-match

Toronto mayoral debate: Rob Ford fends off Olivia Chow and John Tory in chaotic yelling-match | National Post




Mayor Rob Ford's rivals steer clear of "crack cocaine" in debate

Mayor Rob Ford's rivals steer clear of "crack cocaine" in debate | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
 
Locutus
#2

Olivia Chow for Mayor of Toronto From your wallet to union pockets - YouTube



She is an idiot.
 
DaSleeper
#3
Nice double talk......
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Nice double talk......

He should have let her continue to speak . Why interrupt someone when they are shooting at their feet .
 
mentalfloss
#5
It would be unwise to draw conclusions about the likely outcome of the race for mayor of Toronto on the basis of one debate, especially a debate fully seven months from the election date. Still, the 90-minute exchange among the five leading candidates left some strong impressions.

The first is that, despite everything, Rob Ford is still a strong contender. The second is that Olivia Chow is his most formidable challenger. The third is that John Tory is in trouble. The fourth is that Karen Stintz and David Soknacki are already looking like also-rans, far behind the other three in performance and impact.


Don’t count out Rob Ford from Toronto race just yet - The Globe and Mail
 
Locutus
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It would be unwise to draw conclusions about the likely outcome of the race for mayor of Toronto on the basis of one debate, especially a debate fully seven months from the election date. Still, the 90-minute exchange among the five leading candidates left some strong impressions.

The first is that, despite everything, Rob Ford is still a strong contender. The second is that Olivia Chow is his most formidable challenger. The third is that John Tory is in trouble. The fourth is that Karen Stintz and David Soknacki are already looking like also-rans, far behind the other three in performance and impact.


Don’t count out Rob Ford from Toronto race just yet - The Globe and Mail

Wow, bold and everything.

Anyway, nobody is doing what your little counting buddy there is lecturing about. They're discussing how the first (and soon to be forgotten) debate played out.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#7
Unless Ford's changed from his bombastic radio persona, I can see his tested strategy as being of the "shout-'em-down-and-yell-over-'em" variety - unless he's cornered where he'll just deny....
 
BornRuff
+1
#8  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Olivia Chow for Mayor of Toronto From your wallet to union pockets - YouTube



She is an idiot.

I didn't catch this debate last night. Was it all like this? That "question" seemed to just be 2 minutes for John Tory to talk about his position and berate Chow.

I can definitely see how a debate structured around who can yell the loudest would benefit Ford.
 
Locutus
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

I didn't catch this debate last night. Was it all like this?

Then search and watch it.


Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

That "question" seemed to just be 2 minutes for John Tory to talk about his position and berate Chow.

What was his question to her?

What was her answer?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

I didn't catch this debate last night. Was it all like this? That "question" seemed to just be 2 minutes for John Tory to talk about his position and berate Chow.

I can definitely see how a debate structured around who can yell the loudest would benefit Ford.

I saw some of it. I saw a Toronto Star reporter ask Olivia a leading question allowing her to give a campain speech response. And I saw John Tory's question too (a brilliant move -- do a speech and then attack your main opponent). I didn't actually catch any of Ford's responses.

Curious why the 4 didn't all attack Ford mercilessly? Seems like poor strategy on their part. If they can't knock Ford down and out, I can see him winning -- particularly if Tory fizles.

I think only thing clear is it is a 3 team race for now. My guess it will be Ford-Chow by November. Question is will Tory back Ford?
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
#11
Good God if people actually re-elected this guy after all the nonsense that went down
they would demonstrating just how little respect they have for our society. Toronto is
a strange place indeed. This is not a case of what he does on his own time its deeper
than that.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Good God if people actually re-elected this guy after all the nonsense that went down
they would demonstrating just how little respect they have for our society. Toronto is
a strange place indeed. This is not a case of what he does on his own time its deeper
than that.

That is exactly what it is. It did not affect his performance of mayor.

And he has got Toronto on the map more than any prior mayor in history with possible exception to Mel Lastman.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#13
Just consider the positions of the opposition and Ford does not look so bad.
 
BornRuff
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

That is exactly what it is. It did not affect his performance of mayor.

And he has got Toronto on the map more than any prior mayor in history with possible exception to Mel Lastman.

What map is that? Do we want to be on that particular map?

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Curious why the 4 didn't all attack Ford mercilessly? Seems like poor strategy on their part. If they can't knock Ford down and out, I can see him winning -- particularly if Tory fizles.

I think only thing clear is it is a 3 team race for now. My guess it will be Ford-Chow by November. Question is will Tory back Ford?

Ganging up on Ford could backfire. He has canned responses for every possible attack and harping on them just gives him more opportunity to repeat these talking points.

Ford is a special kind of political creature. There are so many things that you could say about him, that in theory, would sway support away from him. But all of that has been said a million times and obviously they have little impact on his supporters.

The real fight is between the other people in terms of who people will rally around as the Ford alternative.

As far as Tory backing Ford though, I don't think there is a chance in hell that would happen.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Good God if people actually re-elected this guy after all the nonsense that went down
they would demonstrating just how little respect they have for our society. Toronto is
a strange place indeed. This is not a case of what he does on his own time its deeper
than that.

Meh... It's Toronto - and NOOOOOO-BODY is better at getting attention
 
BornRuff
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Then search and watch it.


Lol, thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

What was his question to her?

What was her answer?

Well, his "question" was mostly a speech about his opinions on contracting out garbage.

But the overall question was if she would contract out garbage collection in the east, and she said she would not.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

And I saw John Tory's question too (a brilliant move -- do a speech and then attack your main opponent). I didn't actually catch any of Ford's responses.

I like John Tory, but I don't think this question was all that brilliant for him.

The first bit is mostly a plug for one of Rob Ford's signature policies, and yelling at her about being the NDP candidate is something that is going to play better to Ford's base than his own. If he continues on that tact, he is going to get Rob elected, not himself.
 
mentalfloss
#17
Jimmy Kimmel lampooned Mayor Rob Ford and the other four candidates who sparred in a campaign debate Wednesday night.

None of the candidates specifically mentioned drugs, the late-night talk-show host told his audience.

Do I have to do everything for you people?

TheStar
 
Locutus
#18
comedy gold that.
 
Tonington
#19
Audience polling after the debate:
 
BornRuff
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Audience polling after the debate:

For anyone who watched the debates, do you think she did a good job?

I have yet to really see anything from her that makes me want to vote for her. I get the feeling that she has a lot of support purely based on the fact that people know her has the left wing candidate, and not based on anything she has said or aspects of her platform.
 
Locutus
#21




people.
 
BornRuff
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

people.

The leadership one is interesting. I would have thought that would have taken a much bigger hit based on how things have played out.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#23
I think once people here more of Olivia Chow, they will stop thinking of her as Mrs. Jack Layton and her support will fall off.
 
BornRuff
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I think once people here more of Olivia Chow, they will stop thinking of her as Mrs. Jack Layton and her support will fall off.

That is kind of what I have been expecting, but people on the left wing don't really have anyone else, so they may be almost as firmly entrenched as the Ford nation.

I would personally love to see Tory win it, but with stuff like that in the video, he seems to be positioning himself way too far right to win over the bulk of Chow's support.
 
mentalfloss
#25
The saddest part about this whole thing is that Tory is the best conservative guy and he's getting overshadowed by Ford's phony record.

It's so weird how people will support a complete buffoon because they are so afraid of splitting the vote on the right.
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Good God if people actually re-elected this guy after all the nonsense that went down
they would demonstrating just how little respect they have for our society. Toronto is
a strange place indeed. This is not a case of what he does on his own time its deeper
than that.

You might enjoy this quote then from Henrik ibsen's An Enemy of the People:

The majority never has right on its side. Never, I say! That is one of these social lies against which an independent, intelligent men must wage war. Who is it that constitute the majority of the population in a country? Is it the clever folk, or the stupid? I don't imagine you will dispute the fact that at present the stupid people are in an absolutely overwhelming majority all the world over. But, good Lord! - you can never pretend that it is right that the stupid folk should govern the clever ones .

It works regardless of which side is in power.

It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.
 
Tonington
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post


people.

Despite the lead in trust and finances, it didn't translate to a lead in voters. That's probably not his own tested strategy...
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The saddest part about this whole thing is that Tory is the best conservative guy and he's getting overshadowed by Ford's phony record.

It's so weird how people will support a complete buffoon because they are so afraid of splitting the vote on the right.

One of them on the right has to bow out before the election. Still a tad of time for that to sort itself out though. Otherwise a split vote could elect Chow.
 
BornRuff
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

One of them on the right has to bow out before the election. Still a tad of time for that to sort itself out though. Otherwise a split vote could elect Chow.

As it stands now, it is really only a three way race. Stintz and Sokniaki are not a significant factor in or out of the race. Ford and Tory are too different to realistically bow out for the other.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

As it stands now, it is really only a three way race. Stintz and Sokniaki are not a significant factor in or out of the race. Ford and Tory are too different to realistically bow out for the other.

They still take votes away from left or tight.
 
no new posts