At first debate, Rob Ford holds his own with tested strategy

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mayor brushes aside attacks by John Tory, Olivia Chow in debate that barely touched on the crack scandal.

Mounting his second run for mayor, Rob Ford returned Wednesday to the strategy that made him an adept and elusive debater during his first: stick doggedly to the dollars-and-cents matters in his wheelhouse, shrug off questions about character, sometimes make false claims.

Ford was the focus of the first 2014 debate featuring the five major candidates for the mayoralty — a free-wheeling, oft-chaotic City TV affair in which all five at times resorted to shouting to make themselves heard. The incumbent held his own, pivoting quickly to practised counter-attacks.

None of Ford’s challengers spoke directly about his crack cocaine scandal. They did confront him obliquely. Olivia Chow called him an “international embarrassment.” John Tory said he has “let the taxpayers down in this city very badly.”

more

At first debate, Rob Ford holds his own with tested strategy | Toronto Star

Jimmy KimmelVerified account ‏@jimmykimmel

oh my goodness, @TOMayorFord is JFK compared to some of these candidates #TOpoli #cityvote

Toronto mayoral debate: Rob Ford fends off Olivia Chow and John Tory in chaotic yelling-match

Toronto mayoral debate: Rob Ford fends off Olivia Chow and John Tory in chaotic yelling-match | National Post

Mayor Rob Ford's rivals steer clear of "crack cocaine" in debate

Mayor Rob Ford's rivals steer clear of "crack cocaine" in debate | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It would be unwise to draw conclusions about the likely outcome of the race for mayor of Toronto on the basis of one debate, especially a debate fully seven months from the election date. Still, the 90-minute exchange among the five leading candidates left some strong impressions.

The first is that, despite everything, Rob Ford is still a strong contender. The second is that Olivia Chow is his most formidable challenger. The third is that John Tory is in trouble. The fourth is that Karen Stintz and David Soknacki are already looking like also-rans, far behind the other three in performance and impact.

Don’t count out Rob Ford from Toronto race just yet - The Globe and Mail

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It would be unwise to draw conclusions about the likely outcome of the race for mayor of Toronto on the basis of one debate, especially a debate fully seven months from the election date. Still, the 90-minute exchange among the five leading candidates left some strong impressions.

The first is that, despite everything, Rob Ford is still a strong contender. The second is that Olivia Chow is his most formidable challenger. The third is that John Tory is in trouble. The fourth is that Karen Stintz and David Soknacki are already looking like also-rans, far behind the other three in performance and impact.

Don’t count out Rob Ford from Toronto race just yet - The Globe and Mail

Wow, bold and everything. :lol:

Anyway, nobody is doing what your little counting buddy there is lecturing about. They're discussing how the first (and soon to be forgotten) debate played out.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Unless Ford's changed from his bombastic radio persona, I can see his tested strategy as being of the "shout-'em-down-and-yell-over-'em" variety - unless he's cornered where he'll just deny....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I didn't catch this debate last night. Was it all like this? That "question" seemed to just be 2 minutes for John Tory to talk about his position and berate Chow.

I can definitely see how a debate structured around who can yell the loudest would benefit Ford.

I saw some of it. I saw a Toronto Star reporter ask Olivia a leading question allowing her to give a campain speech response. And I saw John Tory's question too (a brilliant move -- do a speech and then attack your main opponent). I didn't actually catch any of Ford's responses.

Curious why the 4 didn't all attack Ford mercilessly? Seems like poor strategy on their part. If they can't knock Ford down and out, I can see him winning -- particularly if Tory fizles.

I think only thing clear is it is a 3 team race for now. My guess it will be Ford-Chow by November. Question is will Tory back Ford?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Good God if people actually re-elected this guy after all the nonsense that went down
they would demonstrating just how little respect they have for our society. Toronto is
a strange place indeed. This is not a case of what he does on his own time its deeper
than that.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Good God if people actually re-elected this guy after all the nonsense that went down
they would demonstrating just how little respect they have for our society. Toronto is
a strange place indeed. This is not a case of what he does on his own time its deeper
than that.

That is exactly what it is. It did not affect his performance of mayor.

And he has got Toronto on the map more than any prior mayor in history with possible exception to Mel Lastman.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
That is exactly what it is. It did not affect his performance of mayor.

And he has got Toronto on the map more than any prior mayor in history with possible exception to Mel Lastman.

What map is that? Do we want to be on that particular map?

Curious why the 4 didn't all attack Ford mercilessly? Seems like poor strategy on their part. If they can't knock Ford down and out, I can see him winning -- particularly if Tory fizles.

I think only thing clear is it is a 3 team race for now. My guess it will be Ford-Chow by November. Question is will Tory back Ford?

Ganging up on Ford could backfire. He has canned responses for every possible attack and harping on them just gives him more opportunity to repeat these talking points.

Ford is a special kind of political creature. There are so many things that you could say about him, that in theory, would sway support away from him. But all of that has been said a million times and obviously they have little impact on his supporters.

The real fight is between the other people in terms of who people will rally around as the Ford alternative.

As far as Tory backing Ford though, I don't think there is a chance in hell that would happen.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
than that.

Meh... It's Toronto - and NOOOOOO-BODY is better at getting attention

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Then search and watch it.

Lol, thanks.

What was his question to her?

What was her answer?

Well, his "question" was mostly a speech about his opinions on contracting out garbage.

But the overall question was if she would contract out garbage collection in the east, and she said she would not.

And I saw John Tory's question too (a brilliant move -- do a speech and then attack your main opponent). I didn't actually catch any of Ford's responses.

I like John Tory, but I don't think this question was all that brilliant for him.

The first bit is mostly a plug for one of Rob Ford's signature policies, and yelling at her about being the NDP candidate is something that is going to play better to Ford's base than his own. If he continues on that tact, he is going to get Rob elected, not himself.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Jimmy Kimmel lampooned Mayor Rob Ford and the other four candidates who sparred in a campaign debate Wednesday night.

“None of the candidates specifically mentioned drugs,” the late-night talk-show host told his audience.

“Do I have to do everything for you people?”

TheStar

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Audience polling after the debate:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

For anyone who watched the debates, do you think she did a good job?

I have yet to really see anything from her that makes me want to vote for her. I get the feeling that she has a lot of support purely based on the fact that people know her has the left wing candidate, and not based on anything she has said or aspects of her platform.