Crimea crisis forcing Harper to rethink NATO, Arctic defence

Locutus
+1
For many Canadians, the events in Crimea constitute a quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom they know nothing, to quote Neville Chamberlain on the 1938 Sudeten crisis.

But Russia is not that far away. It borders our Arctic frontier. Itís a country with which we have conflicting claims over sovereignty of the Arctic sea-bed and, perhaps, its waters. And itís a country that has shown itself prepared to use military force to satisfy its territorial ambitions.

There is a growing consensus the Harper governmentís hard line over events in Ukraine is going to require a radical new defence doctrine, prepared for the contingency of an expansionist Russia.

Stephen Harper has soured on NATO, viewing it through the prism of Afghanistan, where the alliance was deemed to have placed an undue burden on a small number of participating members.

more

John Ivison: Crimea crisis forcing Harper to rethink NATO, Arctic defence | National Post

MHz
Easy solution, give Harper and Two Creeks some slingshots and a tent and send them to Baffin Island, a more practical solution would be to fire Harper and put in some sort of thinking human. To fire a politician that has been elected looks to be as easy as it was done in the Ukraine and you get the blessing of NATO member cronies.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

For many Canadians, the events in Crimea constitute a quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom they know nothing, to quote Neville Chamberlain on the 1938 Sudeten crisis.

But Russia is not that far away. It borders our Arctic frontier. Itís a country with which we have conflicting claims over sovereignty of the Arctic sea-bed and, perhaps, its waters. And itís a country that has shown itself prepared to use military force to satisfy its territorial ambitions.

There is a growing consensus the Harper governmentís hard line over events in Ukraine is going to require a radical new defence doctrine, prepared for the contingency of an expansionist Russia.

Stephen Harper has soured on NATO, viewing it through the prism of Afghanistan, where the alliance was deemed to have placed an undue burden on a small number of participating members.

more

John Ivison: Crimea crisis forcing Harper to rethink NATO, Arctic defence | National Post

Somehow I doubt the 'Putin Doctrine' would work in Canada, unless he could give the Inuit a really sweet deal to incite them to vote to join Russia. But then that might be a good thing since at least then Canada's defense doctrine would now have to involve keeping all citizens happy with staying in Canada

We should consider too that Crimea was part of russia since the 18th century, transfered to Ukraine by Nikita Kruschev. I guess the idea is that when Ukraine was part of the USSR, that was fine, but now that it's separate, Russia wants it back with the will of the people of Crimea. I'm not aware of a similar history for Nunavut.

Blackleaf
It doesn't matter what the Canadians do. Russia will whup Canada's *** (as the Yanks would say) should the two countries go to war.

Machjo
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

It doesn't matter what the Canadians do. Russia will whup Canada's *** (as the Yanks would say) should the two countries go to war.

As Sun Tsu said, a good general knows how to win a war, a great one knows how to avoid a war. Ah those ancient Chinese strategists.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
What would he say about a pissant taunting an anteater?

mentalfloss
Putin won't launch an attack on Canada.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
I wonder how many westerners will chew their crow gracefully should Putin prove to be a man of his word?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I wonder how many westerners will chew their crow gracefully should Putin prove to be a man of his word?

Which word?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Which word?

Do your own research....

mentalfloss
I'll eat the crow.

Putin is not a threat.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Do your own research....

OK, to which word of Putin's many do you refer?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Word - aka promise, objective, troth, vow. If you really are a lawyer, I can understand your confusion

Tecumsehsbones
Well, here's one word he didn't keep.

Russian and Crimean parliaments sign treaty of accession

By Will Englund (external - login to view), Updated: Tuesday, March 18, 11:04 AM E-mail the writers

MOSCOW —Russia effectively absorbed Crimea on Tuesday afternoon, moments after President Vladimir Putin declared that Russia has no designs on any other parts of Ukraine.

In a speech to a joint session of parliament, which he used to call for the “reunification” of Crimea with Russia, he said the region has a special role in Russian history that makes it unique.

Ecstatic members of the Russian parliament watched while Putin and Crimean leaders signed a treaty of accession as soon as Putin was done speaking, and the Kremlin said afterward it considers the treaty to be in force even before parliament has ratified it.
Sevastopol, the city where Russia’s Black Sea fleet is based, also entered the Russian Federation, as a separate entity.

Even while declaring that Moscow will not seek to expand its holdings in Ukraine, Putin also promised that Russia will do what it must to protect the rights of Russians living abroad -- which suggests that he intends to play a role in restive eastern Ukraine, with its large ethnic Russian population.

He said Moscow will always protect the rights of Russians using “political, diplomatic and legal means.”

But he stressed: “Don’t believe those who say Russia will take other regions after Crimea. We don’t need that.”

Kremlin says Crimea now officially part of Russia following treaty signing, Putin speech - The Washington Post (external - login to view)

Well, nice that he gave his word on "other regions."

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote:

Even while declaring that Moscow will not seek to expand its holdings in Ukraine, Putin also promised that Russia will do what it must to protect the rights of Russians living abroad -- which suggests that he intends to play a role in restive eastern Ukraine, with its large ethnic Russian population.

...which suggests...

I suggest you're trolling. Does that make it fact?

mentalfloss
We are living in a pretty safe world when it comes to military intervention. Even Russia's occupation of Crimea was only to hasten that referendum and if it came down to physical conflict, Russia would lose more than gain. The same holds true for any ridiculous notion that he would jump on our soil.

The retribution would be swift and in our favour.

Locutus
Unless that 'soil' happens to be a much disputed region such as the north pole. We could, and would do, nothing. We'd huff and puff and write letters like barry, tweet our displeasure but in the end, the area would become known as Russian territory...perhaps even due to some made-up concessions by both sides to save everyone the trouble.

B00Mer
Republican

Which word?

Russia to boost military presence in Arctic as Canada plots north pole claim | World news | The Guardian (external - login to view)

Putin's Arctic invasion: Russia lays claim to the North Pole - and all its gas, oil, and diamonds | Mail Online

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Russia to boost military presence in Arctic as Canada plots north pole claim | World news | The Guardian (external - login to view)

Putin's Arctic invasion: Russia lays claim to the North Pole - and all its gas, oil, and diamonds | Mail Online

Well, that's one word I hope they keep.

B00Mer
Republican

Well, that's one word I hope they keep.

?? Traitor.

That would be WWIII if Russia invaded Canada or tried to lay claim to Canadian territory..

I may not be much of a Canadian, but fukk with my country and that will buy you a bullet from me.. nobody, nobody is untouchable in this world..

A Cheytac .408 cal can make short work of most peoples brain matter at 2800 yards.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

We are living in a pretty safe world when it comes to military intervention. Even Russia's occupation of Crimea was only to hasten that referendum and if it came down to physical conflict, Russia would lose more than gain. The same holds true for any ridiculous notion that he would jump on our soil.

The retribution would be swift and in our favour.

I assume you mean Canada when you say" we". Also in your last sentence you use "our" elastically perhaps. And what you mean by "world" escapes me entirely. My thinking as pertains the "world" (globe) is that virtually no corner of it has been safe from military intervention for the last century or more and the terms we and our are meaningless without qualifiers. I would not bet on Russia loosing anything to the remnants of western dominion. Times have changed and our former glories are rusting and crumbling under the wings of the infamous international community who"s directors and designers are even now lowering the life boats stuffed with the loot of decades of pillage.

Tecumsehsbones

?? Traitor.

That would be WWIII if Russia invaded Canada or tried to lay claim to Canadian territory..

I may not be much of a Canadian, but fukk with my country and that will buy you a bullet from me.. nobody, nobody is untouchable in this world..

A Cheytac .408 cal can make short work of most peoples brain matter at 2800 yards.

How can I possibly be a traitor to Canada?

B00Mer
Republican

How can I possibly be a traitor to Canada?

You're on a pro-Canadian forum.. a traitor to the cause.. being "pro-Canadian"

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
He's crazy a violent sneeze would evacuate his entire brain out his nose.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Good luck to both in making a claim to international water. Nearest landfall is far beyond reach and Lomonosov Ridge is not part of either continental shelf.

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

He's crazy a violent sneeze would evacuate his entire brain out his nose.

Next you'll be accusing me of being Jewish..

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
Russia gains vast new area twice the size of Crimea with 'the energy riches of an Ali Baba's cave' (external - login to view)

The Siberian land mass is officially 52,000 square kilometres bigger after an enclave in the Sea of Okhotsk was recognised as part of Russia's continental shelf. The decision comes from the UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf.
'This water area of the Sea of Okhotsk has many biological and natural resources, which have not considered as the main income source of the country's economy and now we can consider and include it in our long-term plans,' said Sergei Donskoy, Russian Minister of Natural Resources and Ecology.
The underwater area is roughly the size of Holland and Belgium combined.
The treasure trove includes hydrocarbon resources exceeding one billion tonnes, believes Donskoy. He has described it in the past as 'a real Ali Baba's cave in terms of resources', adding that access will long-term bring 'enormous opportunities and prospects for the Russian economy'

Next you'll be accusing me of being Jewish..

It wasn't an accusation but rather the result of careful analysis of your contributions over the years. Calling you crazy was being kind. You should settle for that much and be happy.

MHz
One thing becomes more and more clear. That is why Cuba, Iran and Venezuela have had such a hard time after rejecting the 'help' the US was 'offering'. Hopefully Crimea will not suffer the same retribution but then the odds don't look good ......

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

It wasn't an accusation but rather the result of careful analysis of your contributions over the years. Calling you crazy was being kind. You should settle for that much and be happy.

Nah my contributions reflect the forums I use to surf.. Sucks500, SucksBBS and The Rant Board - The Ultimate Free Speech Forum (external - login to view) just a little less rules and having fun...

People take insults to seriously on the Internet and are seriously offended, then cry to the mods to suspend people, Gay just GAY!!..

I mean, seriously.. it's the Internet.. some fat balding twerp sitting behind a keyboard slinging insults, putting others down to try and make himself feel better.. (sorry Darkbeaver you left your webcam on)

I mean, to me you're a nobody, less than dirt.. you don't effect my life one bit.. some loser Muslim sympathizer, one of many out there..

The ONLY people I care about are Family, Close Friends and the guy who signs my Paychecks..

-- But just for you I will change my Avatar to reflect your opinion... LOL --
Last edited by B00Mer; Mar 18th, 2014 at 11:10 AM..

MHz
+1

(sorry Darkbeaver you left your webcam on)

That's a relief, for a second I thought I did.

no new posts