David Miller just waltzed in from Ottawa in a skirt and heels.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via bcf

David Miller just waltzed in from Ottawa in a skirt and heels.

Olivia Chow's mayoral campaign just promises more of the same

more

Olivia Chow's mayoral campaign just promises more of the same | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Olivia Chow and the ‘smear’ that won’t die

Brace yourself for one of the nastiest mayoral races in Toronto’s recent history.

That’s the warning that is emerging from the campaign teams of the top contenders in the race to defeat disgraced incumbent mayor Rob Ford in the October election.

And the main target in this election won’t be Ford, but Olivia Chow, the NDP MP who will officially kick off her campaign on Thursday after resigning her seat in the House of Commons on Wednesday.

Indeed, Chow fully expects to be under constant attack from Ford Nation fanatics and the more vocal supporters of candidates John Tory, Karen Stintz and David Soknacki as a “tax-and-spend” downtown New Democrat who is supposedly out of touch with middle-class and suburban voters.

But the nastiest attacks will centre on a 1990 story about how Chow and her late husband Jack Layton were living cheaply in a subsidized downtown Toronto co-op housing building designed for low- and moderate-income families.

Chow and Layton’s combined income at the time was about $120,000. The rent on their three-bedroom apartment was just $800 a month.

more

Olivia Chow and the ‘smear’ that won’t die: Hepburn | Toronto Star

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is the wrong way to start they want to prevent Chow becoming mayor. This will just vilify the detractors and make her look good.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I still think she looks better than the other candidates.

Hasbeen. Were I to pick a celeb to look like, it'd be Johnny Depp. Wifey just melts. Still, she thinks I'm cute, so that's ok with me.
There you go .... all that money saved ;)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
New pension rules also pushed her. If she ran in the next election, elected, she would have to wait till age 65 for her generous MP pension vice a full pension at age 55. Which she has passed.
As to a Pension as Jacks surviving spouse I would imagine she does receive one.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Nah. At least not on my part. The last 5 or 6 Depp movies have barely hit the shelves when the other half has a copy.
I am guessing she dresses you up in Pirate outfits now and then eh? loolololol

Specially if it's a. . . wait for it. . .

Polish flag! *boom tish*

I'm here all week.
I would be throwing tomatoes at the screen for that one if I wasn't the one to clean up the mess :p

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This is the wrong way to start they want to prevent Chow becoming mayor. This will just vilify the detractors and make her look good.

Ya think people forget?
http://www.toronto.ca/budget2013/2013_budget_summary/pdf/capital_financing.pdf

http://www.toronto.ca/budget2010/pdf/cap2010_bn_debtforecast.pdf

Who was mayor here???

City decays as debt climbs | Toronto Star

The city's debt level is skyrocketing and Toronto is falling further and further behind on much-needed repairs, city council was told yesterday as members approved this year's capital budget.

"It's difficult for many people to fathom how deep in debt we are, how much deeper in debt we're going, and how at the end of this plan we have (room for) no further debt that we can take on," Councillor David Shiner said yesterday.

Still, following a day of acrimonious debate, councillors endorsed a $1.432 billion budget that includes everything from a $3.7 million program to calm neighborhood traffic and add bike lanes, to $2.9 million for a new meeting room at city hall and more office space for Mayor David Miller's staff.

Miller called it a "city building" budget. But several councillors said the city is flirting with big trouble by more than doubling its debt and failing to dig into a huge backlog of repair projects ranging from eroding roads to Toronto Zoo improvements.