Huffpost: We Need to Save Canada From the Harper Economy


mentalfloss
#1
We Need to Save Canada From the Harper Economy

Canada's economy has lost its balance. Trouble looms.

Those are not words you will hear from Prime Minister Stephen Harper but it is the grim reality of the unsustainable economic ethos of his Conservative government.

Instead of the telling us the truth, the government is spending unprecedented gobs of our money to mislead us about the health of the country with the Canada Action Plan advertising campaign saturating the airwaves. In reality, our petro premier has transformed a balanced country into a petro-state that is "hollowing out" the economy.

Last Friday, we found out we lost 7,000 jobs in February. Statistics Canada noted "there has been little overall employment growth in Canada since August 2013." Economists, in their typical veiled language, are warning us about the dark shadows stalking the economy.

The strongest barrage, however, has come from outside. Ray Dalio's Bridgewater Associates, which the Globe and Mail hailed as one of the world's biggest and most respected hedge funds, says the Canadian economy is "unbalanced and at risk for the next decade."

A decade is a long time to forecast pain.

"The rest of the Canadian manufacturing economy has been hollowed out to a significant degree due to years of underinvestment, as the commodity-driven surge in the currency made other industries unprofitable," according to the note from Bridgewater, as reported by the Globe.

Canada's manufacturing sector has taken it on the chin from the high dollar, which was propped up by the oil mania. "Export growth has shifted from the leading edge of the Canadian economy in the 1990s to a lagging edge," Glen Hodgson, chief economist at the Conference Board of Canada, wrote in a recent dispatch.

Hodgson believes something needs to be done. He called for an "aggressive strategy" to diversify trade while opening up new markets. You could say Harper's initiative to ink a trade deal with Europe helps the country diversify its markets but the problem here is, what if we don't have anything to sell but dirty oil from Alberta?

Right now we are bombarded with headlines from the likes of Heinz, Kellogg's and Novartis saying they are shutting down their plants. Government officials are doing the money dance around the limping auto sector, begging them to stay. Our once techno bright spot, Blackberry, is now Reverse in Motion and slipping fast.

Since 2002, Ontario's manufacturing sector has shriveled by nearly 30 percent, a loss of some 30,000 jobs, according to the economist Jeffrey Rubin. "Once the top employer in Ontario, the manufacturing sector is now a shadow of its former self," he wrote.

You may be thinking we can just wait for oil prices to rise again. Perhaps. But most smart countries are moving as fast as they can away from fossil fuels. We are in danger of stranding billion of dollars of investments in the tar sands while the manufacturing sector implodes.

Canada needs bold new ideas and you can bet we won't get it from the 20th century mob with their anti-democratic tendencies holding a majority in the Parliament (Otherwise knows as the Conservative Party.)

We need to transition to a 21st-century economy with sustainable products produced by sustainable companies. And yes government incentives and welcome mats can go a long way to foster the changes we need.

Let me leave you with two pictures for your mind's eye.

Elon Musk and his Tesla juggernaut have announced plans fora new "Gigafactory" to mass-produce batteries for the company's electricity powered vehicles. It could bring revolutionary changes to not only the auto sector but the solar energy world as well. The company issued a sketch of its vision of a plant, not in China, but somewhere in the U.S., powered by wind and solar energy. That's the future.

Now think of the Alberta tar sands. The massive oil project produces vast lakes of toxic sludge that are a catastrophe waiting to happen. As of last January, tar sands mining has disturbed 715 square kilometres of boreal forest. In 2012, 56 per cent of Canada's oil production came from the tar sands and a doubling of current production of the tar sands has been approved by Ottawa.

Is that Canada's future? We can certainly do better.

We Need to Save Canada From the Harper Economy | Russ Blinch
 
Locutus
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
huffington *lol* post
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#3
Well, when times are tough, sometimes ya gotta drop your standards pretty low to support an ideology
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
#4
There's some truth to the article. I, for one, am mighty pis sed at Harper for putting all that oil in the ground here in Alberta.
 
Liberalman
#5
According to CTV news the new South Korea does not have a snap back clause like the America has in their free trade agreement has with South Korea which means if there is more cars imported into the US than the other way around then the tariffs go back on. Another example of the Conservatives trying to dismantle the manufacturing base in Ontario and Quebec
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#6
Maybe the Koreans are just able to build better cars at a lower price.
 
mentalfloss
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

huffington *lol* post

Lol

I put that qualifier in the thread title just for you.
 
Liberalman
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Maybe the Koreans are just able to build better cars at a lower price.

Maybe the Koreans are dumping their cars at a lower price something that was illegal before free trade
 
B00Mer
Republican
#9
Canada's economy is based on oil.. the Petro Dollar.. the price of oil goes up and so does the Canadian dollar.

When the price of oil goes up, the dollar goes up... the cost of manufactured goods in Canada become less attractive to buyers outside Canada..

The Harper Gov't need to keep the dollar low to let everyone in Canada have a level playing field. It'll boost manufacturing and tourism..

Respected economist echoes McGuinty: "petro dollar damaging to Canada's manufacturing industry" | Vancouver Observer
 
EagleSmack
+1
#10
Huffington Post... the biggest lib rag out there.
 
B00Mer
Republican
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Huffington Post... the biggest lib rag out there.



The fact that the major "News" Media slants hard left is common knowledge to all but the extreme so-called Liberals who consider themselves as moderates. With such so-called liberals, anyone who is a true moderate is looked upon as right-wing.
 
Liberalman
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

The Harper Gov't need to keep the dollar low to let everyone in Canada have a level playing field. It'll boost manufacturing and tourism..

The last Prime Minister that tried to do that created a chain reaction that made the Federal Canadian Progressive Conservatives fall
 
B00Mer
Republican
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

The last Prime Minister that tried to do that created a chain reaction that made the Federal Canadian Progressive Conservatives fall

You're not talking about PM Mulroney, I think the Meech Lake Accord sunk his administration.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

You're not talking about PM Mulroney, I think the Meech Lake Accord sunk his administration.

And all the Quebec conservatives leaving to form the Bloc Quebec may have had something to do with it .
 
mentalfloss
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Huffington Post... the biggest lib rag out there.

Old people.

The raggiest rags out there.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#16
I have a bold new economic idea. We will simply start knitting our own domestic socks and sweaters industry. Does anyone remember how to build a kitchen chair?
 
Locutus
#17
Does anyone remember sitting in the kitchen?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I have a bold new economic idea. We will simply start knitting our own domestic socks and sweaters industry. Does anyone remember how to build a kitchen chair?


Milk crate turned upside down.

Another handy furnishing tip: 3 cinder blocks with a plank of 1X4 stretched across makes a fine shelving unit.... Decorated with a variety of empty beer bottles, can be an eye-catching addition if the light manages to filter through the bottles
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Does anyone remember sitting in the kitchen?

That's sad Locutus. Once the kitchen was the warm secure sustaining place.
 
Locutus
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

That's sad Locutus. Once the kitchen was the warm secure sustaining place.

So was the can until they called it an 'ensuite'.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

We Need to Save Canada From the Harper Economy

Canada's economy has lost its balance. Trouble looms.

We Need to Save Canada From the Harper Economy | Russ Blinch

Geeeez. You took over from Cobalt Kid? Or are you him?
Every PM we've ever had has had faults. They're politicians. Get over it.
 
Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
#22
Not the biggest fan of Stephen Harper, but I can't fault him on his handling of the economy. Most of the stuff that happens with the eoncomy is far beyond Canada's--even America's--capacity to control. I may not agreeee wiht a lot of the cuts, but he pretty much said what he was going to do and then he did it, for the most part. And if trouble does loom on the economy, I think he'd do a better job than either Trudeau or Mulcair.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

According to CTV news the new South Korea does not have a snap back clause like the America has in their free trade agreement has with South Korea which means if there is more cars imported into the US than the other way around then the tariffs go back on. Another example of the Conservatives trying to dismantle the manufacturing base in Ontario and Quebec

So who really cares about quebec? Yhey keep threatening to leave so who in their right mind would invest there?

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Milk crate turned upside down.

Another handy furnishing tip: 3 cinder blocks with a plank of 1X4 stretched across makes a fine shelving unit.... Decorated with a variety of empty beer bottles, can be an eye-catching addition if the light manages to filter through the bottles

You been peeking in the window again? Anyway it is not 1X4. That is solid 2X 12 cedar.
 
DaSleeper
+1 / -1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Geeeez. You took over from Cobalt Kid? Or are you him?
Every PM we've ever had has had faults. They're politicians. Get over it.

He has a subscription to huffington post and other select news feeds (not Sun or Fox) that comes in his inbox every morning, and he thinks we will all be interested, so, he dutifully passes it on like a good sheeple should
 
mentalfloss
#25
Lol. I put huff post there as a qualifier for you guys.

Any forum that takes Sun/Fox seriously needs a bit of humour now and then.

Btw, that reddie on Das was not from me.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Lol. I put huff post there as a qualifier for you guys.

Any forum that takes Sun/Fox seriously needs a bit of humour now and then.

Btw, that reddie on Das was not from me.

I seriously doubt that there is a single person in this forum who doesn't know who it's from.........but I'll never tell....






This post will get one soon lol
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Does anyone remember sitting in the kitchen?

Yep. Not enough room in this one for a table, so we put an island in the kitchen and we all sit in the dining room. (I have to say this quietly or wifey will hear it and decide that kitchen needs remodelling. So shhhhhhh.
 
Locutus
#28
No kitchen is an island. Bring back the table I say.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#29
You in the wrong thread? Shouldn't that be in the old sayings thread?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yep. Not enough room in this one for a table, so we put an island in the kitchen and we all sit in the dining room. (I have to say this quietly or wifey will hear it and decide that kitchen needs remodelling. So shhhhhhh.


You know what's always nice?... New cabinets, tile and a skylight... And can you please move the window from the South wall to the West one please?
 
no new posts