Nazi-flag cartoon 'simply meant as satire,' N.S. paper says

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Nazi-flag cartoon 'simply meant as satire,' N.S. paper says
QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 10:21 AM EST | Updated: Friday, March 07, 2014 11:07 AM EST
A Nova Scotia newspaper has said it is sorry if an editorial cartoon about the federal government's Economic Action Plan that showed a swastika flag flying over the Parliament buildings offended anyone.
"The cartoon was simply meant as a satire, or exaggeration, on Harper's Economic Action Plan and its implications for some segments of the community," the Pictou Advocate's editor wrote in a comment on the editorial cartoon. "We regret that the cartoon was not received in the spirit with which it was intended."
The cartoon ran in the newspaper on Wednesday.
Cartoonist Rob Denton said he did not mean to offend anyone.
"The use of the swastika was simply aligning the Harper government's policies with the Nazis," he said in the statement.
"There are no religious connotations, there is no anti-Semitism, there are no ethnic attacks, there is no racism ... Just the suggestion that Canadian politics is heading toward fascism."
Nova Scotia MP and Minister of Justice Peter MacKay denounced the cartoon.
Jon Goldberg, executive director of the Atlantic Jewish Council, called on the newspaper to offer a full apology.
"The tasteless and inappropriate use of the swastika to make a political point only trivializes the horrific crimes of the Nazis. Such a cartoon is offensive to the Jewish community, to all who suffered during (the Second World War), and to Canadian veterans who sacrificed so much to liberate Europe from Nazi rule," Goldberg said.
This political cartoon appeared in the Pictou Advocate on Wednesday, March 5, 2014. The newspaper's editor has said the cartoon was "simply meant as a satire, or exaggeration, on Harper's Economic Action Plan and its implications for some segments of the community ... We regret that the cartoon was not received in the spirit with which it was intended." (Photo: QMI Agency)

Nazi-flag cartoon 'simply meant as satire,' N.S. paper says | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

what the heil? ;)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sad how folk could be insulted over the Hindu symbol for auspicious. I guess that's what happens when something gets hijacked and bastardized into something of an entirely different meaning

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Welcome to 2014, a person can't say a ****in' thing without pissing some goomer with an agenda, off. Swear to geebus, there is a raft of people LOOKING for something to offend them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The swastika was around long before Hitler and his nazis.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
It might have been true back in the day

Ever since they hooked up with the PCs they became more main stream

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Reform was always mainstream. They were just pisspoor at getting their message out...or do you not consider democracy to be a mainstream idea? Never mind...I just remembered Trudeau's your hero

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Reform was always mainstream. They were just pisspoor at getting their message out...or do you not consider democracy to be a mainstream idea? Never mind...I just remembered Trudeau's your hero
They started as a western separatist party and a reform MP told a manager of the store to tell the visible minority clerk to go to the back of the store while he finished shopping, just like a 1930s dictator in Europe.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They started as a western separatist party.....

No they didnt

... and a reform MP told a manager of the store to tell the visible minority clerk to go to the back of the store while he finished shopping, just like a 1930s dictator in Europe.

Do you consider every statement or action by an MP, part of his or her party's platform?

You should stop being so silly

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
No they didn't.

Well?

Get a history book from the library instead reading the Conservative propaganda version. It was an Ontario MPP that talked Manning to come east but he did not want to have the Reform party involved with provincial politics so he helped Mike the knife Harris set policies and win the election

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Get a history book from the library instead reading the Conservative propaganda version. It was an Ontario MPP that talked Manning to come east but he did not want to have the Reform party involved with provincial politics so he helped Mike the knife Harris set policies and win the election

I don't need a history book. I was involved with the Reform Party in the beginning. Your version of history is entertaining though, I'll give you that.

Do you consider every statement or action by an MP, part of his or her party's platform?

Does the question pose a problem for you?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I don't need a history book. I was involved with the Reform Party in the beginning. Your version of history is entertaining though, I'll give you that.

Reform Party of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Reform Party of Canada (French: Parti réformiste du Canada) was a Canadian federal political party that existed from 1987 to 2000. It was originally founded as a Western Canada-based protest party, but attempted to expand eastward in the 1990s. It viewed itself as a populist party.

Soon after its formation it moved to the right and became a populist conservative (largely socially conservative) party. Initially, the Reform Party was motivated by the need for democratic reforms and by profound Western Canadian discontent with the Progressive Conservative government of Brian Mulroney.

Led by its founder Preston Manning, the Reform Party rapidly gained momentum in western Canada and sought to expand its base in the east.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They started as a western separatist party.

Reform Party of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Reform Party of Canada (French: Parti réformiste du Canada) was a Canadian federal political party that existed from 1987 to 2000. It was originally founded as a Western Canada-based protest party, but attempted to expand eastward in the 1990s. It viewed itself as a populist party.

Soon after its formation it moved to the right and became a populist conservative (largely socially conservative) party. Initially, the Reform Party was motivated by the need for democratic reforms and by profound Western Canadian discontent with the Progressive Conservative government of Brian Mulroney.

Led by its founder Preston Manning, the Reform Party rapidly gained momentum in western Canada and sought to expand its base in the east.

Thanks for the link although there was nothing in there that refutes anything I've said. Ironically though, it does not support your silly notion that Reform began as a separatist party which, of course, it didn't. Thanks for playing though.

Is there a reason you keep ignoring that question?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for the link although there was nothing in there that refutes anything I've said. Ironically though, it does not support your silly notion that Reform began as a separatist party which, of course, it didn't. Thanks for playing though.

I suggest you take a refresher course in reading.

But you are right about one thing which is you are playing

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I suggest you take a refresher course in reading.

I "suggest" you follow your own advice. Canuck is correct. Reform was never a "separatist" party. It was always a western protest party that Manning managed to move into the main stream. It's idiots like you, spreading bullshyte around, that cause others to get wrong information and perpetuate the idiocy.