Canada sheds 7,000 jobs in February

mentalfloss
Canada sheds 7,000 jobs in February, unemployment stuck at 7%

Canadian employers cut 7,000 jobs in February as the unemployment rate held stubbornly at 7 per cent.

More to come

Canada sheds 7,000 jobs in February, unemployment stuck at 7 per cent - The Globe and Mail

Liberalman
Bring back the tariffs and it will be boom times all across the nation

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Be prepared for another 7,000 in March as the snow removal jobs melt away! -

Locutus
+2
"The public sector led last month’s declines, shedding 50,700 positions.

The private sector added 35,200 jobs while the number of self-employed grew by 8,600, Statscan said."

good.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
I would guess one private sector job is equal to two or three public sector jobs.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

"The public sector led last month’s declines, shedding 50,700 positions.

The private sector added 35,200 jobs while the number of self-employed grew by 8,600, Statscan said."

good.

By sector, the heath care and social assistance along with finance sectors shed workers in February. Employment rose in natural resources last month, a sector that has also grown over the past year along with utilities and information, culture and recreation.

Overall, “employment has been essentially stagnant over the past half year, an oddity given that real GDP performance surprised to the upside over the same period,” noted Avery Shenfeld, chief economist at CIBC World Markets.

If we continue down this path of limiting growth to only a few sectors that's not so good. We can't put all our eggs into the natural resources sector.

B00Mer
Republican
Down size your business and invest it outside the USA.. with a potential Justine Trudeau win, you want to move as much capital outside of Canada as possible...

Canada's economy will only go downhill under Justine Trudeau, so shelter your investments now..

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I would guess one private sector job is equal to two or three public sector jobs.

Unless you need a cop.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

By sector, the heath care and social assistance along with finance sectors shed workers in February. Employment rose in natural resources last month, a sector that has also grown over the past year along with utilities and information, culture and recreation.

Overall, “employment has been essentially stagnant over the past half year, an oddity given that real GDP performance surprised to the upside over the same period,” noted Avery Shenfeld, chief economist at CIBC World Markets.

If we continue down this path of limiting growth to only a few sectors that's not so good. We can't put all our eggs into the natural resources sector.

Most of our so called eggs have been put into the natural resources sector since before confederation .
But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story .

Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Unless you need a cop.

Yah if you need a cop he will show up a day late and a dollar short .

mentalfloss
Everyone calm down because the loggers saved us before confederation lol. Welcome to the nation Alberta. All eggs are here thanks to Harper.

How Canada’s weak economy is ‘struggling to create many new jobs’

“Overall, employment has been essentially stagnant over the past half year, an oddity given that real GDP performance surprised to the upside over the same period,” said Avery Shenfeld, chief economist at CIBC World Markets.

“The broader picture is that employment has been largely stagnant since last summer and the only reason the unemployment rate was still as low as 7.0% last month is that the participation rate is falling at a faster pace,’ said Paul Ashworth, chief North America economist at Capital Economics.

Meanwhile, BMO’s Mr. Porter said “most striking in this report is the regional story.”

“There’s basically Alberta and everybody else,” he said.

Employment in Alberta grew by 3.8% over the past 12 months. Compare that to Saskatchewan, where job growth was only 0.9%, and in Ontario, which managed just 0.4%. New Brunswick hiring was flat over the same period, while all other provinces lost workers.

“It’s not that the other provinces are so weak, it’s just that Alberta is just so strong that it’s pulling people, who could probably find employment in other provinces, into that provinces.”

How Canada’s weak economy is ‘struggling to create many new jobs’ | Financial Post (external - login to view)

Locutus
The public sector saving us would be priceless.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

How Canada’s weak economy is ‘struggling to create many new jobs’

How Canada’s weak economy is ‘struggling to create many new jobs’ | Financial Post (external - login to view)

Before struggling to create new jobs you have ask "are they really jobs"? We need a minimal core of public sector jobs, but without 90% of the bureaucrats that generally are included.

mentalfloss

Before struggling to create new jobs you have ask "are they really jobs"? We need a minimal core of public sector jobs, but without 90% of the bureaucrats that generally are included.

Private industry doesn't have bloated bureaucracy?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Private industry doesn't have bloated bureaucracy?

Probably but we have a choice in that we don't have to patronize a company that does.

mentalfloss

Probably but we have a choice in that we don't have to patronize a company that does.

I'm not sure I follow but I don't disagree with getting rid of redundancies within an organization (public or private).

That has yet to be proven in any of these job loss statistics. In fact it appears the opposite as entire industries are suffering for the sake of a few. That is unhealthy for the economy.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I'm not sure I follow but I don't disagree with getting rid of redundancies within an organization (public or private).

That has yet to be proven in any of these job loss statistics. In fact it appears the opposite as entire industries are suffering for the sake of a few. That is unhealthy for the economy.

High prices for poor quality might be your first clue! -

gerryh

High prices for poor quality might be your first clue! -

Really? Why don't you expand on that. Explain it more fully within the Canadian context.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Really? Why don't you expand on that. Explain it more fully within the Canadian context.

What's to explain? You ever been in a store where the merchandise is overpriced?

gerryh

What's to explain? You ever been in a store where the merchandise is overpriced?

and you know it's over priced how? You know what the stores cost is? What their overhead is?

El Barto
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Down size your business and invest it outside the USA.. with a potential Justine Trudeau win, you want to move as much capital outside of Canada as possible...

Canada's economy will only go downhill under Justine Trudeau, so shelter your investments now..

In which cracked crystal ball did you see this?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Thank gawd you're here to impart your financial expertise, though I'm surprised (given your obvious talent when it comes to financial matters) you have the ability to take time away from managing your Fortune 500 company to come here and inform us

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

The public sector saving us would be priceless.

Almost enough to make me start believing in miracles.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Bring back the tariffs and it will be boom times all across the nation

Along with inflation time. All tarifs do is create busy work. Why have a truck driver drive a product from Toronto to Vancouver when the same company has a plant in Seatle for example.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Along with inflation time. All tarifs do is create busy work. Why have a truck driver drive a product from Toronto to Vancouver when the same company has a plant in Seatle for example.

You got that right!

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
#25  Top Rated Post
The wisdom of getting rid of the public service and using computers is one of
folly for this government. Seniors vote and when they are not given someone
to talk to they get grumpy ask me. When that happens they park their vote
somewhere else. The public service has been cut to the point where people
can't get their EI on time and the projects for other sectors can't get the job done
and this is crazy in a modern society.
We can't afford it eh? We we can afford tax breaks for multi nationals and we can
afford weapons that don't work and we can afford Senators who do nothing but we
can't afford breaks for the middle class and senior or for post secondary students
etc. I am glad in a way they have chosen this nonsense it will be easy to beat the
hell out them at election time.
I will be going out to campaign this time and i will be giving money to get rid of the
menace that is in power. Who I support is still in question but I know who I won't be
supporting

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

can't get their EI on time and the projects for other sectors can't get the job done
We can't afford it eh? We we can afford tax breaks for multi nationals and we can
can't afford breaks for the middle class and senior or for post secondary students
etc. I am glad in a way they have chosen this nonsense it will be easy to beat the
I will be going out to campaign this time and i will be giving money to get rid of the
menace that is in power. Who I support is still in question but I know who I won't be
supporting

It's a toss up Grumpy between computers and someone who doesn't talk English! -

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

supporting

Adopting codetermination legilsation would help, just as has been done in Germany and Sweden and a few other countries.