Manning Poll: Conservatives losing serious ground

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Thanks Rob!

Conservatives losing ground, grim polling numbers show

Conservative support is down across much of Canada and the party ranks behind the Liberals and NDP on their perceived ability to handle many issues, a new poll unveiled Friday suggests.

The poll, conducted by Carleton University's André Turcotte, was presented at an annual conference put on by the Manning Centre in Ottawa. Turcotte does a poll every year on the state of conservatism in Canada.

Turcotte said Friday the polling numbers for the Conservatives are heading in "the wrong direction," with the number of those polled who identify as Conservative down dramatically since 2012 in British Columbia — to 20 per cent from 33 per cent — and Ontario — to 25 per cent from 35 per cent.

The numbers are better elsewhere, rising to 48 from 40 per cent in the prairies and to 16 up from 12 per cent in Quebec.

Turcotte surveyed 1,000 adult Canadians online Dec. 16 to 18, 2013, including "an over-sample" of 500 self-defined Conservatives.

'It gets worse'
There was more bad news for the party, Turcotte told the conference delegates and reporters gathered to hear his presentation.

"And here's where it gets worse," he said to introduce a series of slides that showed the Conservatives tied with the Liberals or ranking below them on several issues among those polled.

Turcotte took the poll results to rank the parties on a scale of one to 10 on their perceived ability to deal with issues that respondents said were most important to them.

On the question of ability to deal with the economy, the Liberals and Conservatives are essentially tied, Turcotte said.

Both the Liberals and NDP rate ahead of the Conservatives on the separate questions of managing health care and unemployment.

The worst result for the Conservatives comes on how the parties are perceived for their abilities to manage poverty and the environment: the Liberals, NDP and the Green Party all rank ahead of the Conservatives.

Turcotte also found in the survey that 93 per cent of those polled either somewhat support or strongly support "enhancing the investigative powers of Elections Canada to investigate electoral wrongdoings." The same number somewhat support or strongly support "full disclosure" of how public funds are spent, although what exactly that means isn't defined.

Nearly as many, 92 per cent, somewhat support or strongly support making party leaders more accountable to their caucuses.

Conservatives losing ground, grim polling numbers show

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The poll means nothing unless you break it down on a riding by riding basis and taking into account how the local candidate might affect that.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
There is only one true poll. Election day.
This may mean nothing at all because a s a politician once said , 'in the political world an eternity lasts 6 months and we have 3 eternities to go for the next election.'

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well, we had all best pray the numbers are wrong, or that they change before fall of 2015.....or we will wind up with that ****ing idiot Trudeau as PM.......and I'm not sure my heart could take it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, we had all best pray the numbers are wrong, or that they change before fall of 2015.....or we will wind up with that ****ing idiot Trudeau as PM.......and I'm not sure my heart could take it.

Recall the old saying- we do not elect Govts we throw them out.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

I would be more concerned about your wallet.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Yee Haw!