Long Gun Confiscation in Canada.....yet again.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Swiss Arms Confiscated

Effective 10:00 pm eastern tonight the RCMP has reclassified the Swiss Arms Classic Green carbine from non-restricted (and restricted) to prohibited status. There are approximately 1,000 -1,800 of these firearms in the public. The government will not be offering compensation and will be demanding that the firearms, which cost between $3,000 - $4,000 be surrendered. The government is suggesting that all affected firearms owners contact the distributers from which the firearms were purchased for reimbursement.

The NFA encourages all affected owners to contact their federal Member of Parliament.

This is part of an ongoing agenda of the RCMP to progressively prohibit firearms in Canada.

Under Bill C-68, the firearms classification system was supposed to be updated regularly to prohibit firearms being introduced into the market, as well as those already in Canada.

The Government of Canada was supposed to assist in this with periodic new legislation and Order in Council (OIC).

The RCMP have been doing this unilaterally since 2006.

Access to information records show that RCMP have an aggressive firearms reclassification agenda, and that prohibitions will not stop with the Swiss Arms Series Rifles.
These rifles were approved for import by the RCMP have been sold in Canada for over a decade. Owners once held registrations for them under the now defunct long gun registry.
There has never been a crime or incident of violence committed with one of these rifles.

NFA condemns this RCMP assault on the rights and private property of law abiding Canadians. The RCMP has shown contempt for the rights of Canadians by their actions, and we expect the Government of Canada to take steps and introduce measures to reign in the RCMP and end the assault against the rights, property and freedoms of Canadians.

For more information contact:
Blair Hagen, Executive VP Communications, Blair@nfa.ca
Sheldon Clare, President, Sheldon@nfa.ca
Canada’s NFA – info@nfa.ca
NFA Website: www.nfa.ca

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Reason was??? Possibly that it could be changed from semi to full auto? Magazine up to 30 rounds? Not sure why?
No links as to the reasoning.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The RCMP does not make this decision by themselves now does it?

Updated. You may wish to update.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reason was??? Possibly that it could be changed from semi to full auto? Magazine up to 30 rounds? Not sure why?
No links as to the reasoning.

The last ones they prohibited were classed as Kalishnikov (AK 47) variants...........they were blow-back .22 Long Rifle. Obviously, they shared absolutely nothing in common....except a silouhette.

These were probably banned because they look like something that the RCMP don't like the look of....

Welcome to the nascent police state.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The last ones they prohibited were classed as Kalishnikov (AK 47) variants...........they were blow-back .22 Long Rifle. Obviously, they shared absolutely nothing in common....except a silouhette.

These were probably banned because they look like something that the RCMP don't like the look of....

Welcome to the nascent police state.
I asked if they can be easily converted to full auto as I do not know the weapon specs. All I have for info are photos on the Net.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Keerist!! I gotta hide my .410 SS yet again.

perhaps lol.

I had a gunsmith cut down the barrel (legally) to 19.5 " and replace the firing pin.

He was quite enthused about a semi auto Russian army rifle he had for sale, out of the box, with a fold down bayonet, for less than $300.00. Saigent, Savant, or somesuch. Said it would make a nice deer rifle.
Once the deer's on the ground you can charge, and gut the fuc*er. Up, under, and twist.
Told him I didn't hunt deer. He seemed unhappy. But, did a nice job on the .410.
Just a story. Nothing to do with the ArcyMP confiscating stuff. They should really confine themselves to tasering immigrants to death - their forte for sure.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
How so, the gun registry is dead. The Con's killed it........ or did they?

They did kill the registry.......as they promised.

But the Firearms Act lives on.

The classification system is idiotic. Guns with less than 105mm barrels are banned, as are handguns of .25 and .32 caliber....the two weakest handgun rounds. So instead, they shoot you with a 5 inch barreled .357 Magnum, or 9mm etc., or that seems to be the rationale, which is nonsense anyway..........what a legal owner can have has absolutely no relation to use by criminals.

560,000 handguns are prohibited by this rule, and will be seized when those grandfathered to own them die off. BTW, 4 inches is a standard handgun length, the Liberals made the limit 105mm instead of the nice round 100mm just to get all those 4" guns......

The current problem seems to be with full auto classification.........guns that WERE full auto are banned, even if they are converted to semi-auto. This is simply silly, as mechanically they are so close to identical it is hard to tell them apart....as the RCMP having to travel to Switzerland to figure things out shows quite clearly.

My understanding is that Swiss males, when they reach the end of their militia service, are allowed to keep the full auto rifles they used....as long as they are converted to semi-auto only. Thus the confusion.....there is NO WAY to tell the difference, unless you go through serial numbers to determine which gun was originally produced as full auto, as some were produced as semi auto. Used guns imported to Canada may have been either, and except for the serial number, they are identical.

Simply VERY bad law. .