So the CONS want to Ban Alcohol and Smoking Product Sales in Canada?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
An Ottawa couple who uses medical marijuana are suing the federal government for a combined $6.5 million – a projected figure of what it will cost them to stay medicated for the next 40 years when Health Canada changes rules to its Medical Marijuana Access Regulation.

Russell Barth says he consumes about 11 to 12 grams of pot every day (he says he has a prescription for 16 grams per day) for pain management related to his fibromyalgia symptoms as well as post-traumatic stress. Barth and his wife Christine Lowe, who suffers from epilepsy, say they have a designated grower, an arrangement which allows them to stay medicated for far less than it will cost them under the new rules.

While he did not disclose how much he spends a year, he said a friend of his grew a year’s worth of marijuana in a single summer at a cost of $500.

When Health Canada changes come into effect at the end of the month, Barth and his wife won’t be able to afford the up to $15 per gram they will forced to pay from commercial growers. The changes will also force Barth to destroy all the stocked-up pot he already has – about 78 plants and 3.5 kilograms of dried marijuana that he says is worth over $130,000.

His statement of claim gives the Crown three options: remove cannabis from the Controlled Drugs and Substance Act (CDSA) for everybody, grant him and his wife a section 56 that would exempt them from the CDSA or pay them the money so they can afford to medicate themselves in the future. Ideally, Barth wants marijuana to be legal for everyone. He sees a market of cheap or free pot under those circumstances.

“Pot should be sold in supermarkets,” said Barth. “Pot should be as legal as coffee and chocolate, not tobacco and alcohol.”

The new rules, which come into effect March 31, 2014, will no longer allow medical marijuana patients to grow their own pot or use designated growers.

Ottawa marijuana users suing feds for $6.5 M | Metro

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Bunch of Bull$hit in there. 11 grams a day he would not be able to get potato chips much less a lawyer. And 3.5 keys is not worth anywhere near $130 000 unless maybe you were selling it by the joint at a jr. high.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Bunch of Bull$hit in there. 11 grams a day he would not be able to get potato chips much less a lawyer. And 3.5 keys is not worth anywhere near $130 000 unless maybe you were selling it by the joint at a jr. high.

He said his 78 plants and 3.5 kilograms are worth $130,000. What's the yield on 78 pot plants?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Federal government threatens to share medicinal marijuana patient information with law enforcement

Health Canada has warned it will share with law enforcement the private information of citizens in lawful possession of medicinal marijuana unless they comply with a new order within six weeks’ time.

Today (March 14), the federal government posted a notice online stating that medicinal-marijuana licence holders are required to destroy all marijuana they have and provide written notice stating that they “no longer possess marijuana (dried marijuana, plants or seeds) obtained under the old program”.

“If participants do not comply with the requirement to notify Health Canada, the Department will notify law enforcement,” the release states.

Licence holders have until April 30, 2014, to meet the terms of the order.

Another Health Canada website provides vague details on the consequences of not complying with the new directive.
"The Department will take compliance and enforcement action," it states. "This includes informing law enforcement of your failure to notify Health Canada as required under section 259.3 of the MMPR. In addition, the Department will continue to cooperate with police, and provide information needed to protect public safety, as appropriate."

A “notification form” is available for download on the Health Canada website.

There are more than 16,500 British Columbians licensed to possess medicinal marijuana.

more

Federal government threatens to share medicinal marijuana patient information with law enforcement | Georgia Straight, Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
If they're going to break confidentiality laws to alert police to pot growers, then they should also look at the validity of releasing patient intoxication status' if they are underage and go to the ER for treatment, or they come in drunk and have driven themselves to the hospital.

Since we know the above won't happen, the Feds are opening a serious can of stupid worms that I don't think they realize will bite them in the a$$, hard, in the end.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
" all the stocked-up pot he already has – about 78 plants and 3.5 kilograms of dried marijuana that he says is worth over $130,000."
WTF!!! More than a little over the sanity level. They should make the ****er smoke it all till it is down to what can be grown by 6 plants.
Knock down the level to a few grams a day and in a year that is 700 grams, quite a difference.

The stopping home growing is just to make the Gov more money. Colorado is expecting $600M / yr from pot sales and they already have locked out growing at home as an alternative because everybody would be doing it.

He said his 78 plants and 3.5 kilograms are worth $130,000. What's the yield on 78 pot plants?
3500grams @ 10/grm is about $35,000 dollars, that would seem to mean every 25 plants will net about the same amount.

If that is prescription then the bill gets passed onto the taxpayer, I would go with if they need more than than 5 grams a day they have to grow their own or they get nothing. Who smokes 10 (or more) grams a day probably shouldn't be doing anything but watch plants grow.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If they're going to break confidentiality laws to alert police to pot growers, then they should also look at the validity of releasing patient intoxication status' if they are underage and go to the ER for treatment, or they come in drunk and have driven themselves to the hospital.

Since we know the above won't happen, the Feds are opening a serious can of stupid worms that I don't think they realize will bite them in the a$$, hard, in the end.
I think the F'heds should sweep their own doorsteps first - and knock with off the spoiled brat politics: If you don't do what I want ... I'm telling.

Is this the sort of government we deserve?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I could agree with banning alcohol and nicotine products in principle except for medical reasons. The only reason they're accepted is because they're the 'white man's drug of choice.'

Not that that would determine whom I'd vote for in an election, and certainly not something worth fighting for unless the populaiotn is on board, but in principle that is where'd I stand anyway.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I could agree with banning alcohol and nicotine products in principle except for medical reasons. The only reason they're accepted is because they're the 'white man's drug of choice.'

Not that that would determine whom I'd vote for in an election, and certainly not something worth fighting for unless the populaiotn is on board, but in principle that is where'd I stand anyway.
To be fair, "nicotine products," i.e., tobacco, is pretty much an Indian thing.

I know lots of Indians, myself included, who can smoke a cigarette and enjoy it, then not smoke another for weeks. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't like alcohol is for Europeans: a take-or-leave thing. Sadly, alcohol is not a take-or-leave thing for the vast majority of Indians. But I've noticed that there seems to be only two kinds of Europeans with regard to tobacco: addicts and never-touch-its. Very few take-or-leave types.

"Thanks for the whiskey, white man. Have a cigarette."

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I can't condemn anyone who smokes more than I do, they may have lumbering thick braincells that require sledge hammering stimulation. My brain cells are tiny delicate things easily transformed by miniscule little puffs of smoke.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I hate that I can legally smoke cigarettes ( I don't) and drink until I destroy my liver ( I don't drink much either) but I am not legally allowed to toke (and I do)

I think it's completely contradictory the reasons behind why it's illegal.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I hate that I can legally smoke cigarettes ( I don't) and drink until I destroy my liver ( I don't drink much either) but I am not legally allowed to toke (and I do)

I think it's completely contradictory the reasons behind why it's illegal.
don't we all

well,

any of us that matter, I mean!

:?D