National Post: Conservative split to give Olivia Chow the win

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
That's a shame.

Toronto’s divide-and-conquer conservatives doomed to split the vote and hand Olivia Chow the mayor’s job

And so now it is official: John Tory, hardcore squishy centrist, will join like-minded middle-of-the-roaders Karen Stintz and David Soknacki in a political battle with Rob Ford for the hearts, minds and wallets of Toronto voters who are on the conservative side of the political spectrum.

In other words, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce these candidates for mayor of Toronto as the Olivia Chow Mayoral Election Committee. Ms. Chow is sitting out in left wing, officially silent but apparently set to announce her candidacy soon, now no doubt elated by the news that Mr. Tory and Ms Stintz are now also running to lead Canada’s largest city.

My bet is that nobody else on the left will enter the race, or at least nobody of consequence, setting the stage for Ms. Chow to swoop into city hall as Toronto’s next mayor. All she needs is maybe 41% of the vote to win, leaving the centrists and right-of-centre candidates squabbling among themselves, splitting their potential vote four ways. At this point, a good guess would be Tory at 22%, Ford at 20%, Stintz at 7% and Soknacki at 4% and the usual gaggle of no-names picking up the rest.

That’s really just a guess, more to illustrate the point than predict the final results. Anything can happen between now and October in a first-past-the-post contest. But the point is that the left, writhing in out-of-office agony for the last few years, is (I think) too smart to get into divisive splitting of its own vote.

Backed by the unions and other entrenched NDP factions that hold hammerlocks on downtown power bases, the left is united, one single party behind a single cause that will be easy to articulate as an anti-Ford, anti-right-wing coalition, a force for good in a city that needs to beat back the Ford Nation craziness.

The Olivia Chow Mayoral Election Committee is playing right into this scenario. While the left will be running to win, the conservative candidates will be running divide-and-conquer campaigns against their own diverse forces. Instead of taking on the left, the Tory/Stintz/Ford/Soknacki forces will bash one another into losing, minority positions.

It’s already started, with Mr. Ford attacking Mr. Tory, Mr. Soknacki blasting Mr. Ford, Ms. Stintz angling for position against the others. Toronto’s for-hire political operatives, loyal to no one, are jumping aboard the different campaigns, ready to wipe one another out before the full election is even underway.

Centrist Torontonians should know that Toronto is not a naturally conservative town. Post amalgamation, the city has tilted to the left. David Miller won with 57% of the vote in 2006 in a no-contest battle with Jane Pitfield. In 2003, Mr. Miller collected 43% against John Tory, but only because fellow leftist Barbara Hall was too stubborn to get out the race. She took 9% of the votes that would otherwise have gone to Mr. Miller, giving the left a solid majority.

Rob Ford’s big 2010 victory came with only 47% of the total vote. Theoretically, Rob Ford could have lost to George Smitherman (at 35%) if Joe Pantalone had not held on to split the left and collect 12% of the vote.

Now the right seems set to split the vote, handing the mayor’s job to Ms. Chow, who will run hard on a Remember Jack Layton platform and the need to get back to the gravy train.

Toronto, in other words, is politically divisible into two, with the mayor’s job going to the side that can avoid ripping itself apart.

One reason for the multiple-candidate scramble is the lack of political parties at the municipal level, a structure that would impose at least some discipline on the mayoral contests. If Toronto had a Toronto Civic Party that embraced the city’s centre/right factions, the current flock of candidates might have been whittled down to one strong contender representing a more conservative view of city government. At a convention, they might have turfed out Rob Ford, or defeated John Tory — who knows?

Instead of holding a party convention, Toronto’s conservatives (fiscal discipline, reduced micro-interventionism, focus on core responsibilities) are set to hold a self-flagellating popularity contest in the midst of the election, a contest that loses sight of what should be the real objective: beating back the left.

Another theoretical option is a better electoral system for mayor structured around run-off votes until one candidate gets a clear majority. It would drag the election period out, and Ms. Chow might still win such a vote, but at least it would be a straight contest rather than a victory created by default as the opposition splits votes in all directions.

And of course the race could also tighten between now and October. Ms. Stintz and Mr. Soknacki may well drop out. But that would still leave John Tory and Rob Ford slashing and burning their way to defeat, splitting the conservative vote and opening the way for Olivia Chow to skate right through to the mayor’s office.

Toronto’s divide-and-conquer conservatives doomed to split the vote and hand Olivia Chow the mayor’s job

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That's a shame.

And so now it is official: John Tory, hardcore squishy centrist, will join like-minded middle-of-the-roaders Karen Stintz and David Soknacki in a political battle with Rob Ford for the hearts, minds and wallets of Toronto voters who are on the conservative side of the political spectrum.

In other words, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce these candidates for mayor of Toronto as the Olivia Chow Mayoral Election Committee. Ms. Chow is sitting out in left wing, officially silent but apparently set to announce her candidacy soon, now no doubt elated by the news that Mr. Tory and Ms Stintz are now also running to lead Canada’s largest city.

My bet is that nobody else on the left will enter the race, or at least nobody of consequence, setting the stage for Ms. Chow to swoop into city hall as Toronto’s next mayor. All she needs is maybe 41% of the vote to win, leaving the centrists and right-of-centre candidates squabbling among themselves, splitting their potential vote four ways. At this point, a good guess would be Tory at 22%, Ford at 20%, Stintz at 7% and Soknacki at 4% and the usual gaggle of no-names picking up the rest.

That’s really just a guess, more to illustrate the point than predict the final results. Anything can happen between now and October in a first-past-the-post contest. But the point is that the left, writhing in out-of-office agony for the last few years, is (I think) too smart to get into divisive splitting of its own vote.

Backed by the unions and other entrenched NDP factions that hold hammerlocks on downtown power bases, the left is united, one single party behind a single cause that will be easy to articulate as an anti-Ford, anti-right-wing coalition, a force for good in a city that needs to beat back the Ford Nation craziness.

The Olivia Chow Mayoral Election Committee is playing right into this scenario. While the left will be running to win, the conservative candidates will be running divide-and-conquer campaigns against their own diverse forces. Instead of taking on the left, the Tory/Stintz/Ford/Soknacki forces will bash one another into losing, minority positions.

It’s already started, with Mr. Ford attacking Mr. Tory, Mr. Soknacki blasting Mr. Ford, Ms. Stintz angling for position against the others. Toronto’s for-hire political operatives, loyal to no one, are jumping aboard the different campaigns, ready to wipe one another out before the full election is even underway.

Centrist Torontonians should know that Toronto is not a naturally conservative town. Post amalgamation, the city has tilted to the left. David Miller won with 57% of the vote in 2006 in a no-contest battle with Jane Pitfield. In 2003, Mr. Miller collected 43% against John Tory, but only because fellow leftist Barbara Hall was too stubborn to get out the race. She took 9% of the votes that would otherwise have gone to Mr. Miller, giving the left a solid majority.

Rob Ford’s big 2010 victory came with only 47% of the total vote. Theoretically, Rob Ford could have lost to George Smitherman (at 35%) if Joe Pantalone had not held on to split the left and collect 12% of the vote.

Now the right seems set to split the vote, handing the mayor’s job to Ms. Chow, who will run hard on a Remember Jack Layton platform and the need to get back to the gravy train.

Toronto, in other words, is politically divisible into two, with the mayor’s job going to the side that can avoid ripping itself apart.

One reason for the multiple-candidate scramble is the lack of political parties at the municipal level, a structure that would impose at least some discipline on the mayoral contests. If Toronto had a Toronto Civic Party that embraced the city’s centre/right factions, the current flock of candidates might have been whittled down to one strong contender representing a more conservative view of city government. At a convention, they might have turfed out Rob Ford, or defeated John Tory — who knows?

Instead of holding a party convention, Toronto’s conservatives (fiscal discipline, reduced micro-interventionism, focus on core responsibilities) are set to hold a self-flagellating popularity contest in the midst of the election, a contest that loses sight of what should be the real objective: beating back the left.

Another theoretical option is a better electoral system for mayor structured around run-off votes until one candidate gets a clear majority. It would drag the election period out, and Ms. Chow might still win such a vote, but at least it would be a straight contest rather than a victory created by default as the opposition splits votes in all directions.

And of course the race could also tighten between now and October. Ms. Stintz and Mr. Soknacki may well drop out. But that would still leave John Tory and Rob Ford slashing and burning their way to defeat, splitting the conservative vote and opening the way for Olivia Chow to skate right through to the mayor’s office.

I don't live in Toronto have no horse in the race so to speak.
But why would someone want to give up a good MP gig with all the perks that go with it to jump into the cesspool of Toronto politics .
Is Olivia really that stupid ? I don't think so .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
But why would someone want to give up a good MP gig with all the perks that go with it to jump into the cesspool of Toronto politics .

So are you saying John Tory is stupid too?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
He has a good chance at serious support, so I'm not sure I would agree.

true. I just don't like him...................Gonna look up some links.

""Tory later served as Tour Director and Campaign Chairman to then Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, and managed the 1993 federal election campaign of Mulroney's successor, Kim Campbell. Tory was criticized for approving a 1993 election ad that mocked Liberal Party leader Jean Chrétien's facial deformity (although the Conservatives denied that was the ad's intention). The Conservatives suffered the most lopsided defeat for a governing party at the federal level in Canadian history, losing half their vote from 1988 and all but two of their 151 seats.""

That's the one. Making fun of Cretin. He did it, and he meant it. Blew up on him. Cretien had a hay day with the blowback. Ah well, the good ol daze.
Didn't he do great for Kimmy !! She said she'd throw herself in front of a train to protect democracy or something....................and then didn't do it. NEVER trust a Con.............lol.
People finally realized back then, the Cons were pond scum, and it ain't changed. Just a new generation has to be educated.

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Rob Ford had a cushy life working for his dad's with all the money and perks he could ever need before he entered politics.

John Tory has all the money he could need as well, and a successful radio program to boot.

Pretty much everyone with a chance at these political jobs could, and often already has, make a hell of a lot more money outside of politics.

Nobody does this for the money or the perks. They do it because they want to be Mayor.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The by-election to get Tory a provincial seat didn't go so well when "safe" Victoria-Haliburton-Brock's MPP, Laurie Scott, stood down and Liberal Johnston won it....

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For Gods sake, of course you want a moderate from any group right or left.
People want a moderate with some savvy they don' want the extreme voices.
Look at what happened to the radical voices of the Republican Party they are
marginalized and will be until there is a more centrist attitude..

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Look at me.......big fish in a relatively small pond vs one of many in a bigger pond.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Look at me.......big fish in a relatively small pond vs one of many in a bigger pond.
Yes but she is pretty much a star in her party which is presently the official opposition . Her pension will be secured with one more term.
And I don't believe she has to work as hard as an MP as she would as mayor of Toronto .
Just the opinion of an outsider looking in . I have been wrong before I think .

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Yes but she is pretty much a star in her party which is presently the official opposition . Her pension will be secured with one more term.
And I don't believe she has to work as hard as an MP as she would as mayor of Toronto .
Just the opinion of an outsider looking in . I have been wrong before I think .

Lol, again, nobody is running for this job because it is less busy or better paying than their alternatives.

Being mayor of Toronto is much more high profile and gives you much more power and influence than any MP would ever have, even if she were actually part of the governing party.

As an opposition MP, all she can really do is offer he critique of the government. As Mayor she could actually craft budgets, implement programs, build things, etc etc etc.

Remember that Smitherman was a top cabinet minister at Queen's Park when he chose to quit and run for Mayor.

Just as a note though, it is very unlikely that the NDP will still be the opposition after the next election, and Chow has already passed the 6 year threshold to qualify for a pension.

Well, the article in the OP is from the "comment" section.

I think it is pretty clear, even from your numbers, that the number of right leaning candidates is going to benefit Chow.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Lol, again, nobody is running for this job because it is less busy or better paying than their alternatives.

Being mayor of Toronto is much more high profile and gives you much more power and influence than any MP would ever have, even if she were actually part of the governing party.

As an opposition MP, all she can really do is offer he critique of the government. As Mayor she could actually craft budgets, implement programs, build things, etc etc etc.

Remember that Smitherman was a top cabinet minister at Queen's Park when he chose to quit and run for Mayor.

Just as a note though, it is very unlikely that the NDP will still be the opposition after the next election, and Chow has already passed the 6 year threshold to qualify for a pension.

Well, the article in the OP is from the "comment" section.

I think it is pretty clear, even from your numbers, that the number of right leaning candidates is going to benefit Chow.
So your boy Rob Ford has power and influence . I thought the counsellors took the budgetary powers away from him ?
Will they just magically relinquish this power to Olivia ?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
So your boy Rob Ford has power and influence . I thought the counsellors took the budgetary powers away from him ?
Will they just magically relinquish this power to Olivia ?

There is no magic involved. It is written into the motions that they passed that the changes are only last until the end of this mayoral term. So anyone who wins, including Ford, will regain the full office budget and all non statutory roles/responsibilities.

That said, Ford still has a much higher profile and a lot more power than an opposition MP.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm willing to bet Tory will win this time. Failing that Olivia Chow, but I'm doubtful she'll win against Tory. I'm not buying the vote split theory. I think Ford's grass roots support will collapse and Tory will absorb the bulk of that support.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I'm willing to bet Tory will win this time. Failing that Olivia Chow, but I'm doubtful she'll win against Tory. I'm not buying the vote split theory. I think Ford's grass roots support will collapse and Tory will absorb the bulk of that support.

There is a decent chunk of Ford's base that would never vote for John Tory. He has a lot of supporters that identify with him personally more than any real political agenda, and John Tory is the polar opposite of Ford in that regard.

Ford's campaign will be very interesting to see though. He had some really talented political professionals working for him the last campaign, but he seems to have alienated all of them. If they can't get another serious political professional on board, this could be a real gong show.