Michael Mann: Harper's War on Science

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
War on Science?

In early 2013, the government of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper introduced new science communications procedures that threatened the publication rights of an American scientist who had been working in the Arctic with Canadian researchers since 2003.

This was the first time the Canadian government’s draconian confidentiality rules had infringed on the scientific freedom of an international academic – or, at least, it was the first time such an incident had been made known. Professor Andreas Muenchow from the University of Delaware publicly refused to sign a government agreement that threatened to “sign away [his] freedom to speak, publish, educate, learn and share.”

To many of us American scientists, this episode sadly came as little surprise. We have known for some time that the Canadian government has been silencing the voices of scientists speaking out on the threat of fossil-fuel extraction and burning and the damaging impacts they are having on our climate. I have close friends in the Canadian scientific community who say they have personally been subjected to these heavy-handed policies. Why? Because the implications of their research are inconvenient to the powerful fossil-fuel interests that seem to now run the Canadian government.

This is really just a page from the George W. Bush administration’s playbook, used to muzzle government scientists in the United States only six years ago. In his book Censoring Science, for instance, Mark Bowen details the Bush administration’s efforts to silence James Hansen, then director and leading scientist of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

The Harper administration has made it clear that all research related to Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), even that conducted with the help of outside parties, is “deemed to be confidential.” According to its new policy, no involved party “may release such information to others in any way whatsoever without prior written authorization of the other party.” Silently released behind the doors of the DFO, the new protocol only came to light after an anonymous researcher published the document online.

The new restrictions constitute just one of many new protocols that the Harper government has introduced since 2006 that restrict the flow of scientific communication, not just in Canada, but within the global scientific community. And those rules are paired with severe monitoring and oversight of federal science employees.

Federal government handlers often chaperone Canada’s scientists at international scientific conferences, monitoring their public-speaking engagements and presentations and participating in interviews with the media to limit any unsanctioned chitchat. These policies are disturbingly reminiscent of the George W. Bush administration’s attempts to censor the views of U.S. government scientists speaking out on the threat of fossil-fuel burning and human-caused climate change.

Government interference in scientific research in Canada extends well beyond message control. Numerous scientific institutions and research stations across the country have been shuttered, including the world-famous Experimental Lakes Area (ELA), home to groundbreaking research on freshwater ecosystems and the effects that industrial pollutants have on them.

My own experiences at the center of the climate-change debate, which I’ve recounted in my book The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars, began a decade and a half ago, when I published what is now popularly known as “the hockey-stick graph.” The graph clearly showed the unprecedented nature of the recent rise in temperature, and was a threat to entrenched fossil-fuel interests. That placed me in the crosshairs of industry front groups and hired guns that attempted to discredit the science by attacking individual scientists like myself.

Sadly, Canada is the latest front in the expanding battlefield, as Chris Turner indicates in his new book, The War on Science:

A war on science, after all, is ultimately a war on scientists … Canada has become a place where the best and brightest scientists are less and less likely to feel welcome … Who would want to work in an environment so anxious and chaotic, under an authority so arbitrary, for a nation so contemptuous [of] certain kinds of science that it seems to have all [but] reneged on its commitment to the Enlightenment itself?

The Harper government’s efforts to chill scientific discourse are part of a larger war on science conducted by well-funded special-interest groups that value short-term profit over the long-term public good. Recognizing this, it is important not only that Canadians fight back in an effort to restore the nation’s scientific integrity, but also that Americans, who understand all too well what is at stake, do all we can to support them in this battle.

The Mark News

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Mann had the perfect opportunity to 'prove' his line of BS.... He deliberately chose not to do so.

Makes a person wonder why, doesn't it?

Very hard to prove a negative.
Best I can tell his whole theory , if you can call it that revolved around making computer models that gave the desired results and loudly dissing anyone that proved him wrong.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What Loc posted is real world. The OP is about a whiney foreigner wanting to make money off Canadian taxpayer funded programs.

So you're saying you prefer a carbon tax then.

Well that's good to know.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Walt, don't get bitter.

Do the right thing.

Keep the red instead of giving it away.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I bet cooks on CCG vessels used for research like the Henry Larsen sign confidentiality agreements too.

A guy snapping photos of "double icebergs" might be taking notes in the lounge on fish stocks, or what R.F. Tom O'Graphy might be up to for foreign governments but I could be wrong I'm just some rock guy from some place where I'm told there is no rock who has never signed any contracts with jail time attached because the rocks where there are no rocks are worthless.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Very hard to prove a negative.

Mann started the ball rolling by shooting off his mouth and filing a suit against some of the dissenters... Apparently he believed that the mere legal action would scare-off guys like Tim Ball and it would be done.

Unfortunately for Mann, Ball took up the challenge and used it as an excellent excuse to force Mann to prove his position and open the books on his data.

As we have now observed, Mann refused and not only was his suit dropped, it opened the door to counter suits.

So, while I agree that it is difficult to prove a negative, in this case, Mann is now forced into a corner to provide his info... Judging by his abject refusal to do so, it appears that he now understands he has manufactured a lose-lose situation for himself.

Best I can tell his whole theory , if you can call it that revolved around making computer models that gave the desired results and loudly dissing anyone that proved him wrong.

It's hilarious that the usual suspects are thumping their collective chests and trying to deflect the issue in declaring Harper is silencing them.

Mann (and indirectly the IPCC) had the perfect opportunity to prove their position... Obviously, they can't; so the next best thing is to piss and moan about how they aren't being allowed to speak.

Quite honestly, it's gone far beyond being a joke and well into sad and pathetic

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
War on Science?

In early 2013, the government of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper introduced new science communications procedures that threatened the publication rights of an American scientist who had been working in the Arctic with Canadian researchers since 2003.

This was the first time the Canadian government’s draconian confidentiality rules had infringed on the scientific freedom of an international academic – or, at least, it was the first time such an incident had been made known. Professor Andreas Muenchow from the University of Delaware publicly refused to sign a government agreement that threatened to “sign away [his] freedom to speak, publish, educate, learn and share.”

To many of us American scientists, this episode sadly came as little surprise. We have known for some time that the Canadian government has been silencing the voices of scientists speaking out on the threat of fossil-fuel extraction and burning and the damaging impacts they are having on our climate. I have close friends in the Canadian scientific community who say they have personally been subjected to these heavy-handed policies. Why? Because the implications of their research are inconvenient to the powerful fossil-fuel interests that seem to now run the Canadian government.

This is really just a page from the George W. Bush administration’s playbook, used to muzzle government scientists in the United States only six years ago. In his book Censoring Science, for instance, Mark Bowen details the Bush administration’s efforts to silence James Hansen, then director and leading scientist of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

The Harper administration has made it clear that all research related to Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), even that conducted with the help of outside parties, is “deemed to be confidential.” According to its new policy, no involved party “may release such information to others in any way whatsoever without prior written authorization of the other party.” Silently released behind the doors of the DFO, the new protocol only came to light after an anonymous researcher published the document online.

The new restrictions constitute just one of many new protocols that the Harper government has introduced since 2006 that restrict the flow of scientific communication, not just in Canada, but within the global scientific community. And those rules are paired with severe monitoring and oversight of federal science employees.

Federal government handlers often chaperone Canada’s scientists at international scientific conferences, monitoring their public-speaking engagements and presentations and participating in interviews with the media to limit any unsanctioned chitchat. These policies are disturbingly reminiscent of the George W. Bush administration’s attempts to censor the views of U.S. government scientists speaking out on the threat of fossil-fuel burning and human-caused climate change.

Government interference in scientific research in Canada extends well beyond message control. Numerous scientific institutions and research stations across the country have been shuttered, including the world-famous Experimental Lakes Area (ELA), home to groundbreaking research on freshwater ecosystems and the effects that industrial pollutants have on them.

My own experiences at the center of the climate-change debate, which I’ve recounted in my book The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars, began a decade and a half ago, when I published what is now popularly known as “the hockey-stick graph.” The graph clearly showed the unprecedented nature of the recent rise in temperature, and was a threat to entrenched fossil-fuel interests. That placed me in the crosshairs of industry front groups and hired guns that attempted to discredit the science by attacking individual scientists like myself.

Sadly, Canada is the latest front in the expanding battlefield, as Chris Turner indicates in his new book, The War on Science:

A war on science, after all, is ultimately a war on scientists … Canada has become a place where the best and brightest scientists are less and less likely to feel welcome … Who would want to work in an environment so anxious and chaotic, under an authority so arbitrary, for a nation so contemptuous [of] certain kinds of science that it seems to have all [but] reneged on its commitment to the Enlightenment itself?

The Harper government’s efforts to chill scientific discourse are part of a larger war on science conducted by well-funded special-interest groups that value short-term profit over the long-term public good. Recognizing this, it is important not only that Canadians fight back in an effort to restore the nation’s scientific integrity, but also that Americans, who understand all too well what is at stake, do all we can to support them in this battle.

The Mark News

Michael Mann??

REALLY??

The guy is an absolute fraud, a serial abuser of the court system, who sues anyone that questions him, in an attempt to shut them up. Then he plays games to avoid actually having to go to court in defense of his work, dragging out the process as long as possible, making the person's requirement to defend themselves their punishment.

Michael Mann is scum, a fraudster, a liar, who falsely claimed to have won the Nobel Prize.

ClimateGate Star Michael Mann Courts Legal Disaster - Forbes

Michael Mann’s legal case caught in a quote fabrication fib | Watts Up With That?

The Invisible Mann :: SteynOnline

Steyn et al. versus Mann | Climate Etc.

Mr. Mann is the one with a war on science, with his ludicrously incorrect "hockey stick" graph, and his attack on the scientific method, as well as free speech.