Trudeau: Stronger Environmental policy would have gotten us Keystone XL


mentalfloss
#1
And he's absolutely right.


Trudeau: Stronger Environmental policy would have gotten us Keystone XL

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says the Conservative government's lack of environmental stewardship is what is preventing U.S. President Barack Obama from approving the Keystone XL pipeline.

Speaking from the Liberal convention in Montreal, Trudeau said neither Americans nor Canadians are convinced that the environment is a priority when it comes to the $7-billion pipeline.

"This government has done such a terrible job of living up to any sort of environmental responsibilities that it has had an impact on our trading partners," Trudeau told CTV's Question Period.

"President Obama's difficulty in approving infrastructure projects like the Keystone XL pipeline comes from the fact that we haven't given the Americans the cover to be able to say to their citizens, and even by extension our citizens, that the environment will be cared for."

During his keynote address on Saturday, Trudeau said the government must get the country's resources to global markets in an environmentally responsible manner.
Trudeau told Question Period that one of his priorities is to marry economic growth and environmental stewardship.

"Right now this government has done such a poor job on that there is a low degree of faith, and that's something we have to turn around," he said.

U.S. strategists who helped deliver Obama’s presidential victories in 2008 and 2012 attended the weekend convention, including Lawrence Summers, a former economic advisor to both the Clinton and Obama administrations, and Jennifer O'Mally Dillon, Obama's deputy campaign manager.

When asked what he thought of the support from the U.S. Democratic Party, and what it says about Harper's relationship with the U.S. president, Trudeau replied: "You'll have to ask Mr. Harper about that.

"I'm just pleased that we can draw on some of the expertise from people around the world about how to better connect with Canadians and on how to make people feel engaged in the political process."

O'Mally Dillon said there are a number of similarities in the leadership styles of Trudeau and Obama.

"At the core, a strong party is driven by a strong leader as much as anything else," she said from the Liberal convention.

While the Conservatives and NDPs have painted Trudeau as someone who lacks political experience, O'Mally Dillon pointed out that he's drawn new blood into the Liberal team.

"He's bringing new people into the process, he has strong family values and someone I think has a lot of strong ideas," she said. “I think the campaign and the party needs to highlight its focus on amplifying all that he is doing."

Stronger environmental laws would encourage Keystone's approval: Trudeau | CTV News (external - login to view)
 
Goober
Free Thinker
+3
#2
He is absolute wrong- This is a political decision by Obama.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#3
He's absolutely right.

Obama's always stated that his decision is based on looking at the scope of carbon emissions from the project. It's an environmental concern first and foremost - not an economic one. And it's pretty evident he brushes Harper aside, partly because Harper doesn't do enough to heed that concern.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

He's absolutely right.

Obama's always stated that his decision is based on looking at the scope of carbon emissions based in the project. It's an environmental concern first and foremost - not an economic one. And it's pretty evident he brushes Harper aside, partly because Harper doesn't do enough to heed that concern.

Do you still believe Obama?
 
mentalfloss
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Do you still believe Obama?

It's pretty evident he's more trustworthy than Harper.
 
gerryh
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It's pretty evident he's more trustworthy than Harper.


Ummmmm....... nope.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Ummmmm....... nope.

Obama doesn't have senate and election scandals on his resume.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It's pretty evident he's more trustworthy than Harper.

As Gerry stated - NOPE - but mine is louder.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Obama doesn't have senate and election scandals on his resume.

Google to big to jail- try Pub TV in the US. Eye opener-
 
mentalfloss
#9
As I have said, Obamers has a much cleaner political record.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

As I have said, Obamers has a much cleaner political record.

The Untouchables | FRONTLINE | PBS (external - login to view)
When you have watched this, tell me what your opinion is.
 
mentalfloss
+2
#11
I'm more concerned about things that are directly linked to the actions of each. Harper actively downplays climate change and gets rid of scientists.
 
gerryh
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I'm more concerned about things that are directly linked to the actions of each. Harper actively downplays climate change and gets rid of scientists.


In otherwords, you are not willing to look closely at obama.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I'm more concerned about things that are directly linked to the actions of each. Harper actively downplays climate change and gets rid of scientists.

So ignore what should be an eye opener for you.
This is all politics- all about the elections this fall.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

And he's absolutely right.


Trudeau: Stronger Environmental policy would have gotten us Keystone XL

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says the Conservative government's lack of environmental stewardship is what is preventing U.S. President Barack Obama from approving the Keystone XL pipeline.

Speaking from the Liberal convention in Montreal, Trudeau said neither Americans nor Canadians are convinced that the environment is a priority when it comes to the $7-billion pipeline.

"This government has done such a terrible job of living up to any sort of environmental responsibilities that it has had an impact on our trading partners," Trudeau told CTV's Question Period.

"President Obama's difficulty in approving infrastructure projects like the Keystone XL pipeline comes from the fact that we haven't given the Americans the cover to be able to say to their citizens, and even by extension our citizens, that the environment will be cared for."

During his keynote address on Saturday, Trudeau said the government must get the country's resources to global markets in an environmentally responsible manner.
Trudeau told Question Period that one of his priorities is to marry economic growth and environmental stewardship.

"Right now this government has done such a poor job on that there is a low degree of faith, and that's something we have to turn around," he said.

U.S. strategists who helped deliver Obama’s presidential victories in 2008 and 2012 attended the weekend convention, including Lawrence Summers, a former economic advisor to both the Clinton and Obama administrations, and Jennifer O'Mally Dillon, Obama's deputy campaign manager.

When asked what he thought of the support from the U.S. Democratic Party, and what it says about Harper's relationship with the U.S. president, Trudeau replied: "You'll have to ask Mr. Harper about that.

"I'm just pleased that we can draw on some of the expertise from people around the world about how to better connect with Canadians and on how to make people feel engaged in the political process."

O'Mally Dillon said there are a number of similarities in the leadership styles of Trudeau and Obama.

"At the core, a strong party is driven by a strong leader as much as anything else," she said from the Liberal convention.

While the Conservatives and NDPs have painted Trudeau as someone who lacks political experience, O'Mally Dillon pointed out that he's drawn new blood into the Liberal team.

"He's bringing new people into the process, he has strong family values and someone I think has a lot of strong ideas," she said. “I think the campaign and the party needs to highlight its focus on amplifying all that he is doing."

Stronger environmental laws would encourage Keystone's approval: Trudeau | CTV News (external - login to view)

Trudeau may be right that we aren't terribly environmentally-minded but we rate better than the USA about it: EPI | Environmental Performance Index (external - login to view)
 
BruSan
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It's pretty evident he's more trustworthy than Harper.

Oh right, that must be why they've just announced that due to the demand of this winter driving the cost of natural gas higher they're going back to generating power down here in Florida, where I'm spending the winter, with HIGH SULPHER coal. They already had a stockpile of low sulphur stuff but because the greater availability of high sulphur they've chosen to order trainloads of the stuff.


I guess Obama never got the memo or he's just lying like usual.


Trudeau has to say something, anything to gather followers. He's no better than any other azzhat lying pol. If I'm going to have to accept gov't leadership, it may as well be someone with proven leadership capabilities.
 
petros
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

He is absolute wrong- This is a political decision by Obama.

Obama doesn't want oil trains from the Bakken either so he want higher US content of the line. It's not eco. It's not Oil Sands and it's not because the majority will be exported.

The US is almost oil independent and doesn't need our oil.

How would it look if they announced their own pipeline to Houston from the Bakken after denying us for 4 years?

Hypocritical? Of course. That is why they NEED the higher US content in the line.

That's it. There are no other reasons.
 
Trex
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Obama doesn't want oil trains from the Bakken either so he want higher US content of the line. It's not eco. It's not Oil Sands and it's not because the majority will be exported.

The US is almost oil independent and doesn't need our oil.

How would it look if they announced their own pipeline to Houston from the Bakken after denying us for 4 years?

Hypocritical? Of course. That is why they NEED the higher US content in the line.

That's it. There are no other reasons.

They are not even vaguely close to being oil independent.
Over 40% of USA's oil is imported and the majority of that is Canadian.
Stranding Canadian oil helps keep the price down and supplies up and thus explains why the Americans are funding
anti-development agencies in Canada.

Close to 50% of America's power generation is still provided by coal which is generally regarded as the dirtiest and most inefficient source of energy
on the planet.
 
BaalsTears
+2 / -1
#18
It's sad to see some Canadians sucking up to Obama. No matter how much sucking is done it will be to no avail. KXL is totally dependent on domestic American politics.
 
mentalfloss
#19
Sochi pride is getting to people up here.

Of course it's dependent on American politics.

They are the ones that have to take on the most risk from this deal.
 
BaalsTears
+2 / -1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Sochi pride is getting to people up here.

Of course it's dependent on American politics.

They are the ones that have to take on the most risk from this deal.

In the context of political/environmental policy in the US profits are a secondary consideration. KXL is a litmus test of Obama's willingness to keep faith with his environmental supporters. Obama is doing a political calculation right now to determine what best serves his individual political interests leading up to the November 2014 mid-term elections. He has to decide who to double cross. Environmental supporters or labor union supporters.
 
mentalfloss
#21
It's not a double cross for anyone if he follows the proper environmental checks.

Which he is doing.
 
Liberalman
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It's not a double cross for anyone if he follows the proper environmental checks.

Which he is doing.


Justin would have got the XL deal quicker


Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper had his chance at the kick of the can and with his tough talking and iron fisted approach in the political arena and the world stage, is coming back and giving him bittch slaps. The world leaders are looking at Harper as a spoiled little brat who is using oil as his big stick so they just humour him.

Stephen’s problem was that he formed government when Republican Bush Jr. ran America so he enjoyed his visits to the ranch in Texas. Harper forgot an important principal that is America is not his nation Canada is.

When Obama was running for president he told the Canadian embassy to work closely with the Republicans. It’s not a good idea for a government to interfere in a foreign country’s free elections

If the Canadian federal Conservatives want to be taken seriously they got to get a new leader because Harper is way past his expiration date.

Justin Trudeau is offering the same thing as his father of yesteryear, which is hope.

In Time Justin will mature and be one of the great Prime Ministers.

With all the Conservative attack ads aimed at Justin by 2015 he will be ready.
.
.

Pierre Trudeau - Just Watch me - YouTube

 
wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
+3
#23
Trudeau is blowing smoke up the collective arses of anyone who will listen to this BS. Keystone XL's delay is more about TransCanada's failure to maintain some of its aging infrastructure than Canadian government environmental policy... and that is far behind the internal politics in the various states involved.
 
Walter
+1 / -1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Of course it's dependent on American politics.

They are the ones that have to take on the most risk from this deal.

Yeah, the risk of an improving economy. Can't have that because citizens won't be as reliant on the gubmint for handouts.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+3
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

He is absolute wrong- This is a political decision by Obama.

Absolutely!.. Only the most naive would believe it has to do with eco-reasons.... Hell, Nebraska has 10s of thousands of pipeline throughout their State already, and they apparently don't want a new one that is constructed of the latest materials and newest tech... The environmental concern is a massive, steaming pile of BS

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It's not a double cross for anyone if he follows the proper environmental checks.

Which he is doing.


See above, especially the element of naivety
 
barra
+4
#26  Top Rated Post
Justine Trudeau will be a mamby pamby even more PC than any other leader. Example was his statement that we might offend Muslims if Canadians say honour killings are barbaric.
Many times he has no idea how to speak publicly and one never really gets the gist of where he stands on issues. He ends up defending the perpetrators (Boston Bombers for example) and has said on more than one occasion his leanings are toward Quebec separatism.

Sun News has more of his flubby, confusing comments.
Sun News : Top ten dumb Justin Trudeau statements (external - login to view)

Beware, be very aware!,
of those with wavy hair and a flashy smile,
sometimes it is a wolf in sheeps clothing!

I would be extremely afraid of him getting in higher office. It is bad enough he got where he is now.
 
petros
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by TrexView Post

They are not even vaguely close to being oil independent.
Over 40% of USA's oil is imported and the majority of that is Canadian.
Stranding Canadian oil helps keep the price down and supplies up and thus explains why the Americans are funding
anti-development agencies in Canada.

Close to 50% of America's power generation is still provided by coal which is generally regarded as the dirtiest and most inefficient source of energy
on the planet.

U.S. oil imports fell sharply again in 2013 while petroleum exports rose, leading some analysts to proclaim that a new era of energy independence is just a few years away.

Experts largely credit new drilling techniques that have unearthed vast troves of previously inaccessible oil embedded in shale deposits in states such as North Dakota and Texas.

"We're at the beginning of a long upswing," says Citigroup analyst Eric Lee.

Crude oil imports declined 9% last year to 2.8 billion barrels, lowest since 1995, and are down 17% since 2010, according to the Census Bureau.

Meanwhile, exports, mostly of refined gasoline and diesel, rose about 11%, narrowing the country's petroleum deficit by about $59 billion, or 20%, to $233 billion. Lee attributes the exports' increase to the abundance of U.S. oil and reduced U.S. consumption as fuel-efficient vehicles proliferate.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

They are the ones that have to take on the most risk from this deal.

What risk?

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Absolutely!.. Only the most naive would believe it has to do with eco-reasons.... Hell, Nebraska has 10s of thousands of pipeline throughout their State already, and they apparently don't want a new one that is constructed of the latest materials and newest tech... The environmental concern is a massive, steaming pile of BS

Keystone 1 runs though the hockaloogie aquifer already as well as about 10 others not to mention domestic gas.

Quote: Originally Posted by barraView Post

Beware, be very aware!,
of those with wavy hair and a flashy smile,
sometimes it is a wolf in sheeps clothing!

 
barra
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post


Justin would have got the XL deal quicker


Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper had his chance at the kick of the can and with his tough talking and iron fisted approach in the political arena and the world stage, is coming back and giving him bittch slaps. The world leaders are looking at Harper as a spoiled little brat who is using oil as his big stick so they just humour him.

Stephen’s problem was that he formed government when Republican Bush Jr. ran America so he enjoyed his visits to the ranch in Texas. Harper forgot an important principal that is America is not his nation Canada is.

When Obama was running for president he told the Canadian embassy to work closely with the Republicans. It’s not a good idea for a government to interfere in a foreign country’s free elections

If the Canadian federal Conservatives want to be taken seriously they got to get a new leader because Harper is way past his expiration date.

Justin Trudeau is offering the same thing as his father of yesteryear, which is hope.

In Time Justin will mature and be one of the great Prime Ministers.

With all the Conservative attack ads aimed at Justin by 2015 he will be ready.
.
.

Pierre Trudeau - Just Watch me - YouTube

As I mentioned, I would not be too hasty to assess the son like the father - Trudeau junior is a wolf in sheeps clothing, or maybe not .....just a wavy haired guy who likes the limelight. Either way, he is a dangerous person in politics because he has no clue what he is doing. He will PC us into the ground and flub around until we don't know what hit us.

History shows very well that sons are never leaders like their fathers, and it skips a generation. Where is Justins hard work? or proof of anything other than spouting some very confusing lines to the press most times. Just because he opposes Harper, does not make him intelligent or a good leader.

Harper is not much better, and we we know Harper was schmoozing to be noticed by world leaders and sold Canada out from under us, and not very smooth at that.

We should never have joined the US on the war on "terrorism" etc. That was a huge mistake too. Good politicians would roll over in their graves at the state of Canada right now.

I cannot see anyone who can effectively lead Canada back to what Canada is all about. Mulclair has been living too long in Quebec so he worries me too. We have to start saying lots of prayers.
 
mentalfloss
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Absolutely!.. Only the most naive would believe it has to do with eco-reasons.... Hell, Nebraska has 10s of thousands of pipeline throughout their State already, and they apparently don't want a new one that is constructed of the latest materials and newest tech... The environmental concern is a massive, steaming pile of BS




See above, especially the element of naivety

It's not Nebraska, it's that one aquifer in Nebraska.

So, no naivety here sir. Just your uninformed opinion and red herrings again.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#30
Ogala (or as Petros has described it more accurately: Hockaloogie) has thousands of miles of 50 year old leaky pipe through it along with the tons and tons of fertilizer and animal waste that seeps into the aquifer.

Nope, naivety is the nice way to put it
 
no new posts