Bill would end Elections Canada vote drives

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Are these guys ****ing sinister or what??

Among the controversial proposals in the Conservative government's proposed Fair Elections Act is one to eliminate Elections Canada campaigns encouraging Canadians to vote - no matter who for.

Pierre Poilievre, federal minister of state for democratic reform, says Elections Canada's out reach campaigns - which began in 2003 in response to decades of declining voter turnout, particularly among young voters - have failed to combat the troubling trend.

"I am not arguing that Elections Canada's advertising drives turnout down," Poilievre said in an email to Postmedia News on Wednesday. "Rather, it fails to drive turnout up, because it does not address the practical obstacles that prevent many from voting."

Jon Pammett, a political science professor at Carleton University, said Poilievre's equation reflects a flawed understanding of cause and effect.

"There's a name for this in statistics," Pammett said. "All this is based on simply a correlation."

True, voter turnout in Canada has failed to rebound significantly in the last 10 years. After falling sharply in the 1990s - from 71 per cent to 61 per cent - it hit an all-time low of 58.8 per cent in 2008 before recovering in 2011 to 61 per cent. But in the relationship between voter outreach and voter turnout, Pammett cautions that A plus B does not always equal C. "You simply don't know from simple observation of two things. It's quite possible that the decline would have been even greater if the campaigns weren't working."

Pammett notes that there hasn't been much research into the impact of Elections Canada's efforts to inspire youth to vote - from TV ads during some elections to school-based initiatives such as a mock election program. U.S. evidence, however, has shown that non-partisan campaigns do make a difference in getting people to vote, particularly among the young.

Celebrity-laced TV ads from the youth-oriented campaign Rock The Vote made a measurable impact during the 2004 presidential election, said Columbia University political scientist Donald P. Green, who suggested Poilievre could use a "remedial course in statistics."

"It's one thing to say governments should have no business encouraging voter turnout. ... But to say that such efforts do not work is demonstrably false."

Green, co-author of the 2008 book Get Out The Vote, said hundreds of randomized studies in the United States have identified best practices to engage voters.

Old-fashioned door-knocking by party volunteers has the biggest effect, he said, noting that campaigns by both the Democrats and the Republicans are credited with a more than five-point jump in voter turnout in the 2008 presidential election.

That echoes Poilievre's argument that by limiting Elections Canada to providing the bare bones basics of when, where and how to vote, "It will be left to aspiring candidates and parties to give people something for which to vote, and to reach out to citizens where they are."

But Green said Canada's campaign finance restrictions make it unlikely that political parties here would be able to carry out voter outreach campaigns on the scale seen in the United States, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Elections Canada spokeswoman Diane Benson said it's unclear from the bill whether the agency would still be able to visit schools to promote voting or to partner with youth voter organizations such as Apathy Is Boring.

Asked if those programs would be affected, Poilievre's spokeswoman Gabrielle Renaud-Mattey responded: "The job of an election agency is to inform citizens of the basics of voting: where, when and what ID to bring."

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You should really take a look in the mirror officer bubbles.

Anyway, the rest of us don't mind less democracy, do we?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
It's hard to imagine a more outrageous performance in a Canadian parliament, or any parliament, than the one the Con MP Brad Butt offered up the other day.

By first announcing that he had "personally witnessed" people picking voter cards out of the garbage, and using them to commit electoral fraud.
And a few days later admitting he LIED.
But unfortunately for our democracy there is more than one Con clown. And the latest Con clown show stars Peter Van Loan....

For have you ever seen anything more oily or outrageous?

But of course, they may be Con clowns, but they are trying to steal the next election, like they tried to steal the last one.

They are the enemies of democracy. We must do whatever we can to stop them.

And in the name of human decency.

We can't get rid of them soon enough...

Who would dare claim, as only he could, that Butt shouldn't be held in contempt of Parliament for blatantly lying, as the opposition is demanding.
He should be PRAISED for correcting the record.
As everyone is, I am sure, aware, the presumption in this House is that we are all taken at our word, that the statements we make are truthful and correct. That we are given the benefit of that doubt brings with it a strong obligation on us, in the cases where a member misspeaks, to correct the record so that nobody is left with inaccurate perceptions.
In this particular instance, the member for Mississauga—Streetsville, has done exactly that. Having misspoken in this House and having realized his comments were in error, he has come to this House and corrected the record.
Without mentioning that the only reason Butt fessed up was because he was busted.
A Conservative MP’s retraction of a claim he witnessed voting fraud came after a formal complaint to Elections Canada.
Or even hinting that the reason Butt lied so blatantly, was to make it sound like voter fraud is so widespread we need the voter suppression bill aka the Fair Elections Act, that the Cons are ramming through Parliament.
Just like that other Con clown Pierre Poilievre has been trying to do...

By claiming there were THOUSANDS of cases.
Even though after extensive research by the Con Ministry of Democratic Reform aka The House of Poutine, he was only able to come up with the sorry case of these two clowns.
Two Montrealers have been given a slap on the wrist for taking part in a voting hoax that was featured on a popular French-language comedy show. Laura-Emmanuelle Gagne and Simon Poulin each received an extra voter information card prior to the 2011 federal election.
One was for their own electoral district and another was for a neighbouring district. They cast a ballot at two different polling stations to prove a point, with both spoiling their second ballot.
Which normally would have won Poilievre the Con Klown Award of the Month, had it not been for Van Loan's even more ridiculous performance.
Which I'm sorry to say you really must see to believe...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lUwuTEBdw4

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
When it comes to elections I would like to see it mandatory plus have it valid if one could pass a test as to know who's who to vote for.
As for campaigning I would like to see all publicity be shown strictly during a declared election campaign and strictly campaign about their plan for the party , no negative bashing of the other party.

True democracy would be valid if there was no parties .

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
When it comes to elections I would like to see it mandatory plus have it valid if one could pass a test as to know who's who to vote for.
As for campaigning I would like to see all publicity be shown strictly during a declared election campaign and strictly campaign about their plan for the party , no negative bashing of the other party.

To hell with free speech.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Here's the thing with Canadian elections. We have worked the booths a few times for both Provincial and Federal elections and we can't recall a single incident where we were or anyone lese there, 'suspicious' of a particular person voting.

It's a straight forward process. You name is on the sheet or, if it isn't your address is verified and if you are at the wrong station, you are directed to the correct one, although I don't recall that happening either.

I suppose, if one was really full of energy they could go from Polling location to Polling location with different 'ID' but I don't know if anyone is that eager......

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Not voting makes a statement without getting fined or jailed, though. Make voting mandatory and making a statement that way would be criminal. Not fair.
That'd be ok, but a bit nannying. I can ignore campaign bashings very easily.

And gov'ts actually followed the will of the majority.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's hard to imagine a more outrageous performance in a Canadian parliament, or any parliament, than the one the Con MP Brad Butt offered up the other day.

By first announcing that he had "personally witnessed" people picking voter cards out of the garbage, and using them to commit electoral fraud.
And a few days later admitting he LIED.
But unfortunately for our democracy there is more than one Con clown. And the latest Con clown show stars Peter Van Loan....

For have you ever seen anything more oily or outrageous?

But of course, they may be Con clowns, but they are trying to steal the next election, like they tried to steal the last one.

They are the enemies of democracy. We must do whatever we can to stop them.

And in the name of human decency.

We can't get rid of them soon enough...

Who would dare claim, as only he could, that Butt shouldn't be held in contempt of Parliament for blatantly lying, as the opposition is demanding.
He should be PRAISED for correcting the record.
As everyone is, I am sure, aware, the presumption in this House is that we are all taken at our word, that the statements we make are truthful and correct. That we are given the benefit of that doubt brings with it a strong obligation on us, in the cases where a member misspeaks, to correct the record so that nobody is left with inaccurate perceptions.
In this particular instance, the member for Mississauga—Streetsville, has done exactly that. Having misspoken in this House and having realized his comments were in error, he has come to this House and corrected the record.
Without mentioning that the only reason Butt fessed up was because he was busted.
A Conservative MP’s retraction of a claim he witnessed voting fraud came after a formal complaint to Elections Canada.
Or even hinting that the reason Butt lied so blatantly, was to make it sound like voter fraud is so widespread we need the voter suppression bill aka the Fair Elections Act, that the Cons are ramming through Parliament.
Just like that other Con clown Pierre Poilievre has been trying to do...

By claiming there were THOUSANDS of cases.
Even though after extensive research by the Con Ministry of Democratic Reform aka The House of Poutine, he was only able to come up with the sorry case of these two clowns.
Two Montrealers have been given a slap on the wrist for taking part in a voting hoax that was featured on a popular French-language comedy show. Laura-Emmanuelle Gagne and Simon Poulin each received an extra voter information card prior to the 2011 federal election.
One was for their own electoral district and another was for a neighbouring district. They cast a ballot at two different polling stations to prove a point, with both spoiling their second ballot.
Which normally would have won Poilievre the Con Klown Award of the Month, had it not been for Van Loan's even more ridiculous performance.
Which I'm sorry to say you really must see to believe...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lUwuTEBdw4

Kind of like the crosses are burning on the lawns in Pr. George as we speak statement by a certain high ranking Liberal politician. That one was at least funny.

Here's the thing with Canadian elections. We have worked the booths a few times for both Provincial and Federal elections and we can't recall a single incident where we were or anyone lese there, 'suspicious' of a particular person voting.

It's a straight forward process. You name is on the sheet or, if it isn't your address is verified and if you are at the wrong station, you are directed to the correct one, although I don't recall that happening either.

I suppose, if one was really full of energy they could go from Polling location to Polling location with different 'ID' but I don't know if anyone is that eager......

Having worked numerous elections in various capacities most of the problems I have seen have been caused by polling station staff not knowing the rules.
Funniest one I recall was one of the local right wing christians was most upset because the christian heritage party didn't have a candidate in our riding. SOmehow had the impression it was the government's responsibility to provide one.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Not voting makes a statement without getting fined or jailed, though. Make voting mandatory and making a statement that way would be criminal. Not fair.
That'd be ok, but a bit nannying. I can ignore campaign bashings very easily.

And gov'ts actually followed the will of the majority.
I believe we need to be responsible as voting citizens..it is our part and it should be taken seriously imo.

Nannying on who's part? I demand respect and maturity from those who will be our leaders.

Sad when the majority is only 35 % for a majority Government.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I believe we need to be responsible as voting citizens..it is our part and it should be taken seriously imo.
I agree. But I still say that not voting is a loud statement especially if only a minority want to vote. And the statement is mostly saying that people have no confidence in the people who are or those who want to govern.
Nannying on who's part?
ElCan's. Like I said, I can easily ignore ads with bashing in them.
I demand respect and maturity from those who will be our leaders.
Ditto
Sad when the majority is only 35 % for a majority Government.
Yep.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Jaded. Maybe if there was someone to vote for people would come out. As it stands all parties suck and one is the same as the other...corrupt just in different ways. Yup my vote counts, just don't know how any more.