Entitled to his entitlements

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Andrew Leslie, defence policy adviser to Justin Trudeau and 2015 Liberal candidate.

One of Canada’s most high-profile military leaders claimed more than $72,000 in expenses, including real estate fees, for a move from his Ottawa home to another residence in the city after he retired, CTV News has learned.

Documents obtained by CTV News show retired general Andrew Leslie, who once led Canada’s mission in Afghanistan, claimed the expenses for a move in 2012.

[...]

Leslie made headlines in 2011 when he told the Harper government in a landmark report that the Department of National Defence needed to take an axe to its bloated headquarters in order to meet future obligations.

CTV Exclusive: Retired general claimed $72K in expenses for move within Ottawa | CTV News

h/t sda

grissyboy

Nov 22, 2013
General Leslie Moving Expenses

This is a joke, right? This wanna be a politician person replies he has done nothing wrong in billing the dumb *** taxpayers (you & me), $73,000 for moving a few blocks. Well whoopee ding all to hell. Money for moving is supposed to for veterans making one last move to "Better their lives". Since when Mr. Leslie does moving down the road to a more expensive house have anything do do with the concept of receiving this money. Give your head a shake General. Nobody, I mean nobody is buying this. Now we have the Liberals defending this guy. How much you wanna bet he gets his *** kicked when he runs for office. Us dumb *** taxpayers are fed up with this kind of crap.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: General Leslie Moving Expenses

This is a joke, right? This wanna be a politician person replies he has done nothing wrong in billing the dumb *** taxpayers (you & me), $73,000 for moving a few blocks. Well whoopee ding all to hell. Money for moving is supposed to for veterans making one last move to "Better their lives". Since when Mr. Leslie does moving down the road to a more expensive house have anything do do with the concept of receiving this money. Give your head a shake General. Nobody, I mean nobody is buying this. Now we have the Liberals defending this guy. How much you wanna bet he gets his *** kicked when he runs for office. Us dumb *** taxpayers are fed up with this kind of crap.

To be fair though, if everything was kosher, then should the government not review the rules on this?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

The sadder part is apparently this is all within the rules and limits for this expenses. I agree with Machjo.
Hell I am sure we would be outraged if we saw all the legal privileges these people have.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The sadder part is apparently this is all within the rules and limits for this expenses. I agree with Machjo.
Hell I am sure we would be outraged if we saw all the legal privileges these people have.

At the same time though, if you have legal rights to certain privileges in a job, normally you'll take advantage of them within the rules. I would have done the same thing, so Leslie is not to blame here; the rules are.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

At the same time though, if you have legal rights to certain privileges in a job, normally you'll take advantage of them within the rules. I would have done the same thing, so Leslie is not to blame here; the rules are.
Exactly , so instead of having the Conservatives point finger and blame they could step in and tighten the rules. I bet this is welcome news for them tho , to take the heat over the senator thing that is stuck on them.

That is the difference between Politics and Governing.
Verbal dancing around the issues instead of fixing the actual problem sensibly.

I would want some sort of law or rule that all government expenses be transparent and detailed for the public viewing.
That said who would take the time to view it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

$73K? Whatever happened to a couple buddies, a case of beer and some steaks?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

$73K? Whatever happened to a couple buddies, a case of beer and some steaks?
Beer goes good with take-out pizza...and no cooking...

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

For this price it must be all dressed pizza with Caviar extra

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

but of course he is a liberal and entitled to his entitlements .
apparently if you can look past left and right you will see this is pretty common among any who join the Government......Cracks like that only come from blind rhetoric's

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

This issue will get hot enough such that the actual cost (ie invoice) will be analyzed and things will (or won't) move from there.

73k to move one household within the same community will be almost impossible to justify when a comparative cost analysis is done

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

This issue will get hot enough such that the actual cost (ie invoice) will be analyzed and things will (or won't) move from there.

73k to move one household within the same community will be almost impossible to justify when a comparative cost analysis is done

Another detail to consider. Did he spend the money and DND reimbursed him, or did DND spend the money directly?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Funny that this would come out right before he speaks at the Liberal convention.

Too bad you left out the little detail about how he didn't bill anyone for anything. The DND makes all of the arrangements so they are in control of all of that.

The main part of this cost is that they pay the Realtor fees. Since commission is often around 5% total, that is 50k on a million dollar home. Given house prices in some cities, I'm sure they have had to pay fees on lots of homes around that price.