Should Canadian expats be allowed to vote in federal elections?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Should Canadian expats be allowed to vote in federal elections?

By Andy Radia | Canada Politics – 15 hours ago

Whether it's for work or for love, moving to another country is often a coveted adventure for many Canadians.
In fact, according to Statistics Canada, approximately 2.9 million Canadians currently live abroad.
Are those individuals any less 'Canadian' than the rest of us? Should expatriates be allowed to vote in Canadian elections?
It's a question that has come up this month for a couple of reasons.
On Friday, the New Democrats introduced a private members bill which would strike down Section 11(d) of the Canada Elections Act, which states that Canadian citizens that have lived outside of Canada for more than five years cannot vote in general elections.
The law was actually passed in 1993 but wasn't strictly enforced until 2007.
"It is patently undemocratic to restrict someone’s ability to participate in our democracy because they are engaging in the myriad of opportunities available globally," New Democrat MP Megan Leslie said in a press release.
"Canadians living outside the country still have a vested interest in the decisions of government, taxation, our economy, our justice system and rights.
"Canadians living abroad are a significant asset to Canada, domestically and internationally. These folks may not hold citizenship somewhere else and yet they are being totally and unreasonably disenfranchised."
In their press release, the New Democrats note that five year residency rule "does not apply to members of the Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP personnel or diplomats."

The issue is also being taken up in the courts.
According to the Toronto Star, last week an Ontario judge heard a challenge from two individuals who were banned from voting in 2011 because of the rule.
The duo's lawyer argues that, under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Canadian citizens who are 18 years and older have the right to vote. But the Canadian government sees things differently.
"The federal government has argued the current law helps strike a balance between the democratic rights of Canadians while ensuring sufficient ties exist between a citizen and Canada," notes the Star report.
Other countries, including the United States, don't have these types of restrictions.
In fact, according to a website titled 'Let Canadians Vote,' a lot of other countries are more proactive in engaging their expats.
"There are countries with emigrant populations much larger than Canada's that allow overseas citizens to vote without restrictions, such as Italy, Poland, and Mexico. So do Belgium, the Netherlands, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Portugal, Estonia, Japan, and New Zealand," notes the website.
"France, Estonia, and the Netherlands have gone so far as to set up voting over the Internet, to make it as easy as possible."
So what do you think? If a Canadian citizen has been working or living abroad for more than five years, should they be allowed to vote?

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

I don't see why not. Odds are that many of them are still filing a Canadian tax return which is more than can be said for inmates, who do have the right to vote. Thoughts?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
no...................

Care to expand on why?

We give inmates the right to vote.

We have Canadian citizens, many of whom maintain ties to Canada and are therefore required by Canadian law to file a tax return and pay taxes. They shouldn't have any say in how their tax dollars are implemented?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We have Canadian citizens, many of whom maintain ties to Canada and are therefore required by Canadian law to file a tax return and pay taxes. They shouldn't have any say in how their tax dollars are implemented?

Some are working for Canadian companies that bring big bucks home.

In really sh*tty places I might add.

If your working for PetroCan in Libya you deserve a vote.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Care to expand on why?

If they have no residence here then no. The way you vote here is for a county or riding, if you have no residence then you can not vote for a riding.

If it was up to me , inmates would lose their rights to vote.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Care to expand on why?

If they are paying tax into the system, they should have a say relative to how gvt operates

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Some are working for Canadian companies that bring big bucks home.

Big bucks and big tax dollars.

If they have no residence here then no. The way you vote here is for a county or riding, if you have no residence then you can not vote for a riding.

I don't see why we have such different requirements for filing a tax return and the ability to vote for a government that essentially makes changes to tax laws, amongst others. That strikes me as tremendously unfair.

If it was up to me , inmates would lose their rights to vote.
I don't disagree with that, I'd make the same choice if I was given one.

If they are paying tax into the system, they should have a say relative to how gvt operates

Absolutely, anything less is a double standard. Canadian enough to benefit the government but not Canadian enough to benefit themselves.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If they are paying taxes then the must have a residence.

No actually you don't. If you keep a bank account open, maintain your driver's license, store your apartment furniture in a storage unit for a a few years while working overseas, that can be enough to qualify you as a "deemed resident" in the eyes of CRA.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
No actually you don't. If you keep a bank account open, maintain your driver's license, store your apartment furniture in a storage unit for a a few years while working overseas, that can be enough to qualify you as a "deemed resident" in the eyes of CRA.
There is an address on drivers license

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Working away on a visa which can run indefinite retains Canadian Citizenship.

Saudi Aramco built a city in Saudi Arabia for non-Muzzies so families don't have to be broken up.

http://www.aramco.jobs/LivingInSaudiArabia/Lifestyle.aspx

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Which riding would someone vote in is the question? The one on their Birth Certificate or port of entry if an immigrant?