Allison Redmond apologizes for $45k African trip but won't repay

mentalfloss
Alberta premier apologizes for cost of Mandela trip, but won't repay $45K

CALGARY -- Alberta's premier apologized Monday for the $45,000 it cost to go to Nelson Mandela's funeral in South Africa, but said she is not willing to repay the money.
Alison Redford says the amount caught her off guard, but the trip still falls under taxpayer-funded government business.

"It certainly has come to my attention that there were some decisions made that week without the full and complete information that we could have had, which didn't even follow our normal procedure in terms of trip planning," Redford said after a school funding announcement in Calgary.

"Mistakes were made. I accept responsibility for that and I apologize."

Redford has been criticized for not keeping a closer eye on the costs of the trip and the Opposition Wildrose party had demanded she repay the entire amount.

Redford was invited to be part of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's delegation in December.

"From my perspective this was a trip that was part of the Canadian delegation. It was business of the government of Alberta and I attended on that basis," she said. "I certainly take responsibility for the processes within place and I do apologize for that.

"It was very interesting for me to have the opportunity during that trip to have discussions with others who were on that trip with respect to work in Alberta. I do think it is part of the work a premier is asked to do."

Redford, who once worked with Mandela, made the journey with an assistant and indicated last week she wouldn't have gone to the funeral if she had realized how expensive it would be.

The premier and her aide took a provincial government plane to Ottawa at a cost of $15,000 to catch a free flight with Harper to South Africa. She and the aide flew home early on a commercial flight at a cost of $10,000 each to attend the swearing-in of her new cabinet.

Opposition leaders have noted that Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil billed taxpayers less than $1,000 to go to the funeral.
They suggest that Redford's spending on trips abroad shows contempt for taxpayers, but she has said she will continue to travel to drum up business.

Alberta premier apologizes for cost of Mandela trip, but won't repay $45K | CTV News (external - login to view)

tay
Too much heat in Alberta............

Alberta Premier Alison Redford, hounded for weeks to repay the $45,000 bill for a lavish South Africa trip, relented Wednesday, saying the issue is now impeding the work of her government.

“This afternoon I’ve informed my caucus, my cabinet and my party that I’ve personally paid for the costs associated with the recent South Africa trip,” Redford said in a hastily called news conference.

“I want to sincerely apologize to Albertans for these costs. And I’ve put in place measures to make sure that this never happens again.

Redford filed $45,000 in expenses, which included $15,000 for taking the government plane to Ottawa in order to catch the Harper flight, plus first-class air tickets to and from South Africa for her aide, Brad Stables, who was not allowed on Harper’s plane.

In contrast, Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil, who did not take an aide along, filed expenses under $1,000 for his trip to the funeral.

Other commercial flights were available that day but Redford’s staff said they feared the plane might get held up for de-icing in — 3 C weather in Toronto. And rather than take Harper’s flight back, Redford also booked a $10,000 first-class air ticket in order to come home earlier for the swearing-in of her revamped cabinet.

When the true costs surfaced weeks ago, Redford blamed her staff for not following the rules, then accepted the blame, but refused to pay the money back. She said she was on government business.

The trip has become a symbol of what critics call Redford’s extravagant waste of taxpayers’ money and of her own sense of entitlement, with letter writers and cartoonists lampooning her as “Princess Alison.”

On Wednesday, some opposition leaders said Redford was paying back the money not out of sincerity but out of political calculation.

There are reports some of her MLAs are preparing to cross the floor to sit as independents.

more

Redford to pay back $45K claimed for South Africa trip | Metro (external - login to view)

Nuggler
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
""And rather than take Harper’s flight back, Redford also booked a $10,000 first-class air ticket in order to come home""

It does seem like rather a lot of money, but Alberta, from all accounts, is rolling in it.(money as well as other stuff).
Also, who would fault her not wanting to fly with Helmethead and his aids.
You go Allison - I mean it's only taxpayers money - let them eat bitumen.

darkbeaver
Republican
It's just teething problems with the new Redford administration. A momentary lapse of judgement brought on by grief no doubt. Entirely understandable under the circumstances particularly the enormous workloads this civic minded lady was under at the time. Have we no compassion? Thumbscrews would have got a faster remedy.

gerryh
+1
Would be nice if MF could get Our Premiers last night right when posting about her.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
What business did she do? Why can't businesses drum up business for businesses?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Would be nice if MF could get Our Premiers last night right when posting about her.

Aw sheeeet my mistake. Maybe next time.

Kudos to Nuggler for that little bit of dark poetry there.

Let them eat bitumin!

EagleSmack
Wow... you guys got off cheap!

Nuggler
+1
""It certainly has come to my attention that there were some decisions made that week without the full and complete information that we could have had, which didn't even follow our normal procedure in terms of trip planning,"""

And that, buoys and girls, demonstrates how bullshyte baffles just about anything.

Where do they learn to talk like that ??............and why.?

She had impressed me as sort of a straight shooter.....but, she's just another fukkin blackjack dealer.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

""It certainly has come to my attention that there were some decisions made that week without the full and complete information that we could have had, which didn't even follow our normal procedure in terms of trip planning,"""

She had impressed me as sort of a straight shooter.....but, she's just another fukkin blackjack dealer.

They have trainers, usually some very expensive PR firm (at taxpayer cost probably)

Did you review what she said that made you think she was an honorable person, you might be able to spot her half-truths and other deceptive tactics now you are looking at her as 'just another Politician'?

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

And that, buoys and girls, demonstrates how bullshyte baffles just about anything.

yeah, disappointing ain't it....it's always just about them....it's never about "doing the right thing for the right reason for the country or the people"...they squash that kind real fast

I'm to the point where I feel like we the people should just be able to say....your mistake was too big...you are fired...like they can in business....

It would be called accountability.

MHz
That accountability may not show it's ugly head until the next election.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

That accountability may not show it's ugly head until the next election.

I do not understand why they do not understand that we are becoming hostile about their sense of entitlement.

Scooby
I am very much enjoying the downfall of this pathetic excuse of a leader. Too bad it too so long.

MHz
They all think it will be like King Ralph days, he raped that land and nobody said anything bad, when he got caught using a handicap parking space that was the end of the King. I forget who was before him but when his kid got busted for cocaine he build a brand new treatment center, I doubt it is still open.