How climate change is already costing us

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+1
How climate change is already costing us

Local conservation authorities say the impact of climate change is making it increasingly hard to balance their books.

Global warming is causing more extreme weather such as downpours, high winds and other events that result in floods and broken trees, said Chris Firth-Eagland, head of the Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA).

And it’s only going to get worse, he said.

“It’s causing more flooding. Odd storms with more impact. Spikes,” he said. “Those kinds of storms happen, but they seem to be happening more frequently.”

“Climate change is a reality and it is having an impact on our budgets.”

City of Hamilton tax dollars partially fund four conservation authorities — Hamilton, Grand River, Niagara and Halton. Most of the authorities made some mention of climate change when presenting their budgets to councillors on Thursday.

Joe Farwell, head of the Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA), told councillors that climate change could have a major impact on future budgets, caused by extreme events such as floods and droughts.

It’s hard to determine exactly how much climate change is costing conservation authorities, said Neil McDougall, HCA secretary-treasurer. But it is “absolutely” having an impact.

“In the old days, you used to know when winter was going to come,” he said. “Then you’d have a January thaw and spring would come. It was something you could count on. Now we’re having huge temperature swings and these wind storms like we’ve never seen before.”

Climate change will put more pressure on the budget in coming years, he said. Conservation Ontario is already lobbying the province for help.

It’s hard to argue that global warming is the culprit, Firth-Eagland said.

“The science base that I would say is universal across the board is available to us all."

The HCA is busy cleaning up after a pre-Christmas ice storm that caused massive tree damage and power outages. It is costing the authority about $120,000, McDougall said.

The GRCA is spending about $250,000 to clean up after the storm.

All of the authorities are spending money to deal with the emerald ash borer, an invasive pest that kills ash trees. For Grand River — which covers the western part of Hamilton, particularly Flamborough — it will cost nearly $1 million in 2014.

The HCA is will inject select male and female ash trees this year with TreeAzin, which increases a tree’s likelihood of survival. By injecting those robust trees, Firth-Eagland said, the authority hopes the trees produce offspring after the ash borer dies off or a natural predator materializes.

HCA offered a zero-per cent increase to the city’s levy this year. For the GRCA, it was a 1.55 per cent increase over last year.

How climate change is already costing us - Latest Hamilton news - CBC Hamilton

Walter
+3 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
Bull turds.

petros
Is Hamilton still in Canada?

EagleSmack
+1

Walter
+1
The couple were getting very passionate and she said, "Kiss me where it stinks." So her took her to Hamilton.

petros
I'm being attacked by another arctic low(vortex) what does the HCA recommend I do?

coldstream
+1 / -1
Don't worry. I heard today that in the coldest winter in a century in North America the AGW scam artists were trumpeting that last year was the 4th hottest in all history (most of which they've invented).

It's like Roosevelt said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" and these fear mongerers whose trade, tenure and livihoods.. and potential riches from carbon credits.. is based on proselytizing these lies.. no matter how ludicrous they are becoming.

There is NO AGW.. in fact there is NO 'Climate Change' except for the normal cycles of weather that have ruled the environment since the last Ice Age (another event on an even larger scale.. for which we have Not a clue as to its cause).

petros
Ever heard of the Holocene Optimum? I wonder what made it optimal?

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
It's great watching fiscal conservatives argue in favour of higher taxes.

Adds that little bit of left wing nutmeg flavour to the right wing agenda.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+3
The Farce is strong with the AWG believers.
And will be until we stop letting them suck money out of the system.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Adds that little bit of left wing nutmeg flavour to the right wing agenda.

Maybe too many municipal govts figgered there was no need for winter costs and cut things like plows, sanding trucks, graders and other things needed for living in Canada.

PS TRIM YOUR F-CKING TREES THAT HAVE LIMBS OVERHANGING POWERS LINES FOR F-CK SAKES

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Hey if they just want too look away and ignore the obvious push for higher taxes instead of trying to fix the problem then they will eventually foot the bill.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

Hey if they just want too look away and ignore the obvious push for higher taxes instead of trying to fix the problem then they will eventually foot the bill.

A large part of the problem is the overabundance of municipal bureaucraps sucking money out of the system so there is no money for things like snow that tend to happen in Canada.
ONe year in Victoria it snowed, which it has been known to do from time to time. They had to call in the army to help shovel streets. Turns out the entire snow removal budget for the year was $50000. But they have money to build hiking trails.

petros

Would more cuts that cause problems be the funding solution? Even fiscal types know that is a bad idea as is relying on out sourced contractors.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Being a fiscal conservative doesn't just mean making cuts.

If we gradually (and sustainably) reduced emissions we could avoid unreasonable cuts and higher taxes altogether.

Ortherwise it's only a matter of time before there is some kind of environmental policy that hits our wallets.

EagleSmack
+3 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

A large part of the problem is the overabundance of municipal bureaucraps sucking money out of the system so there is no money for things like snow that tend to happen in Canada.
ONe year in Victoria it snowed, which it has been known to do from time to time. They had to call in the army to help shovel streets. Turns out the entire snow removal budget for the year was $50000. But they have money to build hiking trails.

Maybe they're hedging their bets?

If we gradually (and sustainably) reduced emissions we could avoid unreasonable cuts and higher taxes altogether.

Ortherwise it's only a matter of time before there is some kind of environmental policy that hits our wallets.

Cutting emissions is not the goal... the goal is your wallet.

As has been pointed out... you can pollute all you want... they just want to tax it. It is not about reducing emissions it is about transferring wealth.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Maybe they're hedging their bets?

Cutting emissions is not the goal... the goal is your wallet.

As has been pointed out... you can pollute all you want... they just want to tax it. It is not about reducing emissions it is about transferring wealth.

Nope.

The economic benefits of environmental policy

Examples presented at the Symposium

Greece could save up to €2 billion from reducing mortality by limiting the use of biomass for residential heating, which was recently much increased due to higher fuel taxes following the economic downturn.

In the European Union (EU), a 20% reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions would lead to an estimated 10–15% reduction in harmful toxins pollutants from the 1990 baseline by 2020, with reduced health damage costs of €12–29 billion.

Controlling environmental exposure to mercury to protect children’s brain development could save the EU €8–9 million per year.

http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-to...ng-combination

EagleSmack

Nope.

Yup.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1

If we gradually (and sustainably) reduced emissions we would still be raped by the NWO. Reduced emissions won't keep them out of our wallets. That is wishful thinking.

IR Expert Speaks Out After 40 Years Of Silence : ďITíS THE WATER VAPOR STUPID and not the CO2?

Iím retired so I donít need to keep my mouth shut anymore. Kept my mouth shut for 40 years, now I will tell you, not one single IR astronomer gives a rats **** about CO2. Just to let you know how stupid the global warming activists are, Iíve been to the south pole 3 times and even there, where the water vapor is under 0.2 mm precipitable, itís still the H2O that is the main concern in our field and nobody even talks about CO2 because CO2 doesnít absorb or radiate in the portion of the spectrum corresponding with earthís surface temps of 220 to 320 K. Not at all. Therefore, for Earth as a black body radiator ITíS THE WATER VAPOR STUPID and not the CO2.

Walter

Got an example?

petros
+1

How do you pay for services with reduced emissions?

Nuggler
+1
60, or is it 40 % of the great lakes are frozen, with ships stuck in some serious ice.

the scientists are baffled.

me too

polar bears are happy (farther north)

seals are pissed.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

60, or is it 40 % of the great lakes are frozen, with ships stuck in some serious ice.

me too

Just between you and me, the rumour is....it's winter. I know, who'd have guessed?

Quote:

seals are pissed.

Can't please everybody.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

me too

seals are pissed.

The thermometers must have gone in the cutbacks.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

How do you pay for services with reduced emissions?

A state of national emergency and rationing until CO2 targets are met, the climate problem must be understood by the global citizen as the Holy War for the very survival of the human species and that it can only be won at astronomical cost in blood and treasure etc etc.We desperately need a global monarch to stiffen our resolve. I'm packing all my aluminum pots and pans for the war effort and I'm knitting socks for the boys at the front, over there, in the axle of evil.

Nuggler
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Maybe too many municipal govts figgered there was no need for winter costs and cut things like plows, sanding trucks, graders and other things needed for living in Canada.

PS TRIM YOUR F-CKING TREES THAT HAVE LIMBS OVERHANGING POWERS LINES FOR F-CK SAKES

Small branch overhanging our hydro access line. Too high for me to reach, especially on an aluminum step ladder.

Asked Hydro One to cut the branch. Sorry, we don't cut branches that are not on the main line. Get a contractor.

Asked a contractor. No way. Too close to the hydro line. Get hydro to do it.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
Here's another way that that Climate change is costing us. Someone in the Government got an idea that Diesel engines should be upgraded to burn cleaner by adding a pollution control system in which the use a Diesel Exhaust Fluid to necessitate high burns apparently to lower emissions. BTW this technoilogy is very questionable.

So a few years ago they came up with an engine which burned carbon out of the exhaust when a sensor alerted the computer, but that wasn't good enough. So someone came up with the idea of adding a DEF Tank to the big trucks which cuts fuel by up to 3 miles a gallon while increasing the cost of DEF purchase at .70 cents a litre. So instead of getting 7 miles to the gallon trucks are now getting 4 miles to the gallon.

So think about that, all those extra gallons of diesel are being pulled from the ground to support the billions of extra miles/per gallon lost by Big trucks on our highways today.

But it gets even better. The DEF cannot be sold in bulk at stations because it freezes in low temperatures as major truck stops are finding out after spending billions to upgrade.

So the alternative are millions of these.

Ending up in landfills while the big bad oil companies sell even more fossil fuel to a growing market, along with the chemical known as DEF.

Not surprisingly, Europe is abandoning this idiot, cash grab that has made some people very rich while robbing the average owner operator of even more money. Gotta love those rabid environmentalists.

petros
Tier 4

Locutus
Stewardship Ontario

relic
Free Thinker
+1
Exhaust fluid . What comes to mind when you hear that, some kind of lube for your stacks ?
Owner operator = broker, as in, do it till you're so far in the hole you have to work for somebody else.

captain morgan
Bloc Quťbťcois
+1

Global warming is causing more extreme weather such as downpours, high winds and other events that result in floods and broken trees, said Chris Firth-Eagland, head of the Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA).

Buddy talks as if his statement is based in fact

And itís only going to get worse, he said.

Based on what? The one and only functional computer model that actually works?

Too funny