Bombardier lays off 1,700 employees

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation

Bombardier is slashing six per cent of its workforce in the Aerospace division.

The Montreal-based company told employees on Tuesday that the cuts are required due to delays in the launch of new planes and tough market conditions.

It said it needs to preserve cash amid delays in the CSeries commercial jet and Learjet 85 business jet as well as due to tough market conditions.

The announcement follows several recent setbacks for Bombardier, which is one of the world's largest aircraft manufacturers.

It announced last week that its new CSeries commercial jet won't be ready for service until the second half of 2015, several months later than its already delayed previous goal.

On Monday, Bombardier said it received 19 per cent fewer new orders for commercial and business aircraft last year than in 2012.

Last edited by mentalfloss; Jan 21st, 2014 at 12:00 PM..

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Bloody Harper!

I know that he's to blame for this

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Well we all know how successful he's been in fostering the jets industry lol

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
I suppose that you could really blame the PQ for this... Harper has cut-off the extortion money to the separatists, and, well, Bombardier is a Que entity after all.

.. That and Harper didn't marry into the Power Corp family.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Of course when something in our national interest goes belly up, let's blame the province.

It's the easy way out.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Of course when something in our national interest goes belly up, let's blame the province.

It's the easy way out.

You seem happy to do exactly that with the resource sector.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I suppose that you could really blame the PQ for this... Harper has cut-off the extortion money to the separatists, and, well, Bombardier is a Que entity after all.

.. That and Harper didn't marry into the Power Corp family.

As a compromise, the laid off employees could head out to the oil patch. They're looking for immigrants.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

You seem happy to do exactly that with the resource sector.

Exsqueeze me?

I certainly do not. Especially considering what happens in Alberta is a matter of national interest.